Cost savings between petrol/diesel/electric

Hi new to this thread. I was looking for EV quite a while but only Tesla can charge at higher rate, then Ioniq can charge quicker but only with small battery. Then EVs with better charging curve with decent battery at affordable price showing up in 2021. I then ordered ID4 52 KWH and later cancelled due to battery size not able to cope long journey and yet can't afford the bigger battery. That was in November 2021. I then changed to ZS EV in March bigger battery at affordable price.

However, the way UK electricity price makes me wonder whether to cancel the ZS.

In Oct it will be 51p/kWh and when include stranding charge and energy lost it could cost like 54-55p/kWh received by EV.

My current petrol can get 33m/g on average regardless of outside temperature cause always on climate control cost £7.90.

To get 33 miles on ZS at the comfort and speed I travel in my petrol it might cost about 2.6-3m/kWh in summer/spring/autumn £ 6-7 probably 2.2-2.6 in winter £7-8.25 in October time charging at home. If I have to charge at public charger might cost about 65-66p/kWh at 3-7KW charger £ 7.30 - 8.40 and at DC charger could cost 76-77p/kWh £ 8.40 - 9.65 apart from winter time.

in winter might cost more, well Oct almost starting to cold for EV at AC charger £8.40 - 9.90 and at DC charger £9.70 - 11.40.

While petrol will only cost about 190p/l and for 33 miles about £ 8.65 with the availability of petrol in my car within 10 minutes to full tank which cover more than 320 miles at ease.

So far my ZS will not arrive till the end of Oct.

Even though petrol prices went up it now came down a bit. However electricity will only increase every 3 months. By the time of next price cap in Jan who knows might even reach to 60. And yet the charging infrastructure will be way behind.

So anyone has any thoughts about going with EV in UK??

I want my ZS but the price of energy saying no to it. Yes there is less cost for maintenance and tax and parking but EV has battery degradation and still need maintenance.

Any advice guys???

Hi new to this thread. I was looking for EV quite a while but only Tesla can charge at higher rate, then Ioniq can charge quicker but only with small battery. Then EVs with better charging curve with decent battery at affordable price showing up in 2021. I then ordered ID4 52 KWH and later cancelled due to battery size not able to cope long journey and yet can't afford the bigger battery. That was in November 2021. I then changed to ZS EV in March bigger battery at affordable price.

In Oct it will be 51p/kWh and when include stranding charge and energy lost it could cost like 54-55p/kWh received by EV.

My current petrol can get 33m/g on average regardless of outside temperature cause always on climate control cost £7.90.

To get 33 miles on ZS at the comfort and speed I travel in my petrol it might cost about 2.6-3m/kWh in summer/spring/autumn £ 6-7 probably 2.2-2.6 in winter £7-8.25 in October time charging at home. If I have to charge at public charger might cost about 65-66p/kWh at 3-7KW charger £ 7.30 - 8.40 and at DC charger could cost 76-77p/kWh £ 8.40 - 9.65 apart from winter time.

in winter might cost more, well Oct almost starting to cold for EV at AC charger £8.40 - 9.90 and at DC charger £9.70 - 11.40.

While petrol will only cost about 190p/l and for 33 miles about £ 8.65 with the availability of petrol in my car within 10 minutes to full tank which cover more than 320 miles at ease.

Even though petrol prices went up it now came down a bit. However electricity will only increase every 3 months. By the time of next price cap in Jan who knows might even reach to 60. And yet the charging infrastructure will be way behind.

I want my ZS but the price of energy saying no to it. Yes there is less cost for maintenance and tax and parking but EV has battery degradation and still need maintenance.

Any advice guys???
Get onto a time of use tariff like octopus go - highest rate at the moment is 40p so beats the cap price. Charge overnight for 7.5p.

Your average unit cost will be about 20-25p at most.

28kwh charge will give you about 90-100 miles depending on efficiency and that’ll cost you £2.10.

It’s also a way to beat the price cap increase of about 52p in October and then 66p in January, so your total energy bill will be cheaper. It’s a fixed tariff for 12 months so whatever the price you sign up for is the price you pay for the year.

Would you be able to fit an EVSE at home to make use of an overnight cheap tariff?
The fuel cap should keep prices lower than petrol or diesel.
If you can only charge away from home then it would depend on your weekly milage and if your ICE vehicle needs replacing.

Any advice guys???
Not sure it’s advice your after or just reassuring that your doing the right thing Everyone’s circumstances are different only you can decide !!!!!

Last edited:

Sounds like you need to look for a proper ev home tariff octopus do cheap over night charging and ovo do 5p charge any time of day

Hi
We have octopus go (7.5p/kWh) and a zappy2 charger
My son used 285 kWh last month that’s £21.375 so using 3.3 miles per kWh that would give him 940.5 miles ( he forgot to reset his trip so I put an average of 3,3 miles per kWh)
He’s very happy with that
My eldest son has moved jobs and now has a daily commute of 58 mile ( in stead of a 6 mile round trip) round trip so he is now looking at an EV for his next car
Cheers
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Last edited by a moderator:

Any advice guys???
Your m/kWh figures look too low. You should get at least 2.8m/kWh in winter and well over 4 m/kWh in summer.
Get on a fixed electricity tariff before the October rise, preferably with a cheap overnight rate if you have a smart meter.
It is always going to cost you more if you don't have a way of charging at home. The charger providers are having to put 20% VAT on the cost, compared to only 5% at home.

Get onto a time of use tariff like octopus go - highest rate at the moment is 40p so beats the cap price. Charge overnight for 7.5p.

28kwh charge will give you about 90-100 miles depending on efficiency and that’ll cost you £2.10.

It’s also a way to beat the price cap increase of about 52p in October and then 66p in January, so your total energy bill will be cheaper. It’s a fixed tariff for 12 months so whatever the price you sign up for is the price you pay for the year.
I swapped over to Octopus flexible this morning and booked a smart meter so Incan get in to OctopusGo.

I swapped over to Octopus flexible this morning and booked a smart meter so Incan get in to OctopusGo.
Brilliant! Good to hear! Don’t forget to use a code they will give you £50 credit too! Every little helps! :) but that’s basically 2300 miles for free at an efficiency of 3.5m/kWh!!

You have to use the code when you sign up with Octopus so it's probably already too late for you. Open posting of such codes is considered spam and therefor not allowed here.

I'm still dithering as to whether to change my Supplier ( And sort of thinking out loud a bit here so forgive me!).
I'm currently with British Gas paying 29.24 p per kwh and a standing charge of 37.9p per day.
I have a charger on order. through Charged EV (Indira i think)
In my area octopus go is 40.13p per kwh. Off peak is 7.5p per kwh. Standing charge 37p per day.
Our kids have left home. We both work (house is empty between 8-6)

I do about 350 miles a week .My car will be a ZS SE LR. I will be able to charge at work occasionally and there are a number of (currently free) fast charging points nr me at Tesco sainbury Lidl etc.
I'm not sure I'll need to enough home overnight charging to warrant the change.

Now, being on British gas's std rate and having an online account I do have some control over my direct debits. For example BG wanted to increase my Electricity payments from £92 to £180 pounds a month. I pushed back on that and am paying £122. Oh and I'm in credit atm. I've been with BG for 30 odd yrs.
I'm not sure a new supplier would be as flexible.

So what I suppose I am saying is Is it worth Changing?! ( no S**t Sherlock I hear you say)
Personally speaking I think I'm ok where I am. When prices go up I can negotiate again.

I'm probably going to rent a ZOE on an STR till my ZS arrives so I suppose I can do a bit more research then.

My brain hurts

The big question is how much is British Gas standard rate going to go up by in Oct 60%+? Then the octopus deal should look OK I went with ovo in the end for the 5p charge any time of day as I work a lot of nights

Last edited:
I'm still dithering as to whether to change my Supplier ( And sort of thinking out loud a bit here so forgive me!).
I'm currently with British Gas paying 29.24 p per kwh and a standing charge of 37.9p per day.
I have a charger on order. through Charged EV (Indira i think)
In my area octopus go is 40.13p per kwh. Off peak is 7.5p per kwh. Standing charge 37p per day.
Our kids have left home. We both work (house is empty between 8-6)

I do about 350 miles a week .My car will be a ZS SE LR. I will be able to charge at work occasionally and there are a number of (currently free) fast charging points nr me at Tesco sainbury Lidl etc.
I'm not sure I'll need to enough home overnight charging to warrant the change.

Now, being on British gas's std rate and having an online account I do have some control over my direct debits. For example BG wanted to increase my Electricity payments from £92 to £180 pounds a month. I pushed back on that and am paying £122. Oh and I'm in credit atm. I've been with BG for 30 odd yrs.
I'm not sure a new supplier would be as flexible.

So what I suppose I am saying is Is it worth Changing?! ( no S**t Sherlock I hear you say)
Personally speaking I think I'm ok where I am. When prices go up I can negotiate again.

I'm probably going to rent a ZOE on an STR till my ZS arrives so I suppose I can do a bit more research then.

My brain hurts
Standard variable rate are looking to be going up 81% in October to 52p and then again up to 65p in January. Current fixes are about 70p everywhere - you won’t get a better deal than this anywhere. Go Is fixed for a year too so no price increases.

It’s a no brainer if you have an electric car to switch - it’s the best tariff available anywhere at the moment and that’s not taking into account the cheap night time rste they’ll bring the average down.

Last edited:

Any advice guys???

Say you ditch the ZS because electricity is too dear, how do you feel about domestic use?

Install a domestic battery to cover your daily use and switch to Octopus Go, pay 7 times less. And buy the ZS, and charge it at the cheap off peak rate.

If Octopus goes bust the only way to protect your investment is to have solar panels installed as well to make use of the batteries.

Alternatively if you don't want/cannot install a battery do what others suggested already and switch to Octopus Go anyway, 7.5p/kwh for the EV.

Excellent idea. Need to make the switch from bulb. With my EV coming next month hopefully. Is it definitely a 12 month fixed contract? Seems very good considering the price cap in October coming up

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom