Creaking noise from Steering Column

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Forgive me, but I think there was an earlier thread suggesting this, but at that stage, it didn't affect me.

But now, at just over 8,000 miles, I've developed a really annoying creaking noise from the Steering Column.

The strange thing is when I switch the car off and turn the column left and right - no noise. But especially when travelling a low speeds, all I can hear is this low creaking noise similar to the movie sounds added for an 18th century wooden ship!

Any suggestions, - other than don't drive at slow speeds, then!!

Just take it in to your dealer. I had this, booked it in. All sorted and got software updates done at the same time. All under warranty. Apparently they changed the column.

I hope MG won't adopt Tesla's "build fast, fix later" approach, and they will get this issue sorted in the production line.

I've had this since day one (over 3 k miles now). Haven't bothered me enough to go to the dealer yet though.

I had the clicking steering wheel issue. It started after 200 miles at first it started out as a very slight tug on the steering wheel rather than a sound and got progressively worse until it clicked most of the time at 1500 miles. Just had my power steering column changed under warranty. No more clicking and hopefully that was the issue a faulty bearing in the column. I guess time will tell.

Hi All, I had been following threads on the steering noise as we had the same with our ZSEV after doing only approx 1000 klms. We took delivery of the car in Nov 2020 which was the first shipment of the model into Australia. Cutting a long story short we finally took it back to our MG dealer mid Feb 2021 as the noise was getting significantly worse and they determined the steering column needed to be replaced. They ordered the parts and we continued driving it while waiting for parts to arrive. That was until last week when the side of the universal joint/bearing collapsed. I checked with MG today (12/03/2021) Parts are expected to be another 2-3 weeks so the ZSEV is parked up in the garage as it's now unsafe to drive and I'm spending the time detailing it instead of driving.

Thought I would share as I hadn't seen any other threads with the actual uni joint fail shown - sorry if I missed it. Photo of failed joint below and a couple of Videos available here: MG ZS EV Steering Issue – Google Drive

Attachments

• IMG_20210312_115959891.jpg
    IMG_20210312_115959891.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 563
My dealerships near me cannot find a fix, and I am currently in the process of trying to reject the car. Car has 2000 miles on the clock and it is clicking when I trim the wheel. Anybody have any recommendations? My car has gone to two separate dealerships and they don’t have a clue

I'm going to be calling my dealership again my clicking has come back. Had the power steering column replaced in December and I have only done 1000 miles since because of lockdown. The car has only done 2600 miles since I bought it in July and this will be its third visit for the clicking. Reading the other posts it must be the bolts constantly getting loose over time and not a faulty bearing in the power steering column like I was told. I'm certainly not happy with the thought that this annoying problem will problem will keep coming back.

I’m in agreement with you. You should not be having to do this on a brand new car, especially if they continue to loosen over time. I will be looking at rejecting the car and getting another car. MG has not lived up to what I hoped unfortunately.

My dealerships near me cannot find a fix, and I am currently in the process of trying to reject the car. Car has 2000 miles on the clock and it is clicking when I trim the wheel. Anybody have any recommendations? My car has gone to two separate dealerships and they don’t have a clue
Hi, agree this steering issue is annoying. MG had incorrectly diagnosed ours as faulty 'module' and after waiting weeks for part from China turned out to be collapsed uni joint. I'm working on a YouTube video summarising the enjoyment of it all but will be a few weeks before I get it up.

Attachments

• IMG_20210312_115959891.jpg
    IMG_20210312_115959891.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 266
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom