DAB RADIO

My mg hs exclusive is booked in tomorrow for some investigation work on the dab radio , android auto and problems with the gear box not engaging on hill starts. What I noticed when I signed in was an extra item on the agenda about the dab. I've circled it in this screen shot. I'll update tomorrow after it's done to see what it is.
Lets hope and pray that they have been told to do a professional fix and not another bodge job. Good luck

I bought my HS PHEV 72-plate (2023 model) a few weeks ago, and it still had the antenna stuck to the windscreen, and a USB port taken up. I complained, and they took it back in for a 'recall'. They removed the antenna from the windscreen, replaced the plastic fascia where the USB ports are, with one of the ports blanked off, and said they'd fitted a new antenna under the dashboard which still uses a USB port connection. There is no difference at all in the radio performance, with no ability to save favourite stations etc. So I guess they haven't replaced the chip. Can anyone who has had the new chip fitted confirm if they are now able to pre-programme DAB stations?

I don't know of anyone having the chip replaced. MG are hell bent on trying to solve with a cheap quick fix and without replacing the head unit

So nothing but disappointment in the end. MG did the crappy option and installed the new antenna behind the USB port. Radio signal still poor . No ability to save channels, no rds in normal fm. And now one less usb port. Lady behind desk said this was the last resort fix. I said they need new head units. I asked them to give me one from the 2023 model then, but got told that they are not compatible? Righto. Back to square one again. 😪

Attachments

• 20230927_163054.jpg
    20230927_163054.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 102
Shocking just shocking. I am not going to let them do this to my car. I have little time at the moment to pursue this with any great conviction I hope this changes soon. Not that I am confident of getting anywhere but I will make a noise.

Paul
Wished I bought a Sportage 😬

Absolutely horrendous service from MG. I will not be accepting this offer of a fix as it clearly is no better than what I have adhered to the windscreen.

Shocking just shocking. I am not going to let them do this to my car. I have little time at the moment to pursue this with any great conviction I hope this changes soon. Not that I am confident of getting anywhere but I will make a noise.

Paul
Wished I bought a Sportage 😬
Totally agree. I was so close in choosing between MG, Kia or Hyundai. I am still convinced that the dealerships are in collusion with putting off customers

Absolutely horrendous service from MG. I will not be accepting this offer of a fix as it clearly is no better than what I have adhered to the windscreen.
Whaz, totally agree. This is not a fix. The cheap DAB that they are fitting simply is not a quality product and does not deliver on features or reception. As stated previously, I am not a legal expert, but we must have some recourse somewhere

Buongiorno a tutti!!
Anche io ho ritirato la mia MG EHS ieri sera e non sono stato informato dal venditore della carenza di RDS sulla radio e del dongle DAB dentro al cruscotto... Non ci posso credere, mi sembra di essere tornato all'era della pietra!! Ho scritto qualche mail di reclamo. Vediamo se mi risponderanno. Speriamo....
Un saluto e un INBOCCALLUPO a tutti!!

[ Moderator edit: Please post in English on this forum. Other moderators might simply delete your post.
Google translation:
Good morning everyone!!
I also picked up my MG EHS last night and was not informed by the seller about the lack of RDS on the radio and the DAB dongle inside the dashboard... I can't believe it, I feel like I'm back in the stone age!! I wrote a few complaint emails. Let's see if they will answer me. Let's hope so....
Greetings and INBOCCALLUPO to everyone!!
]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All, Does anyone have an email address of anyone with any clout at MG whom we can send our complaints? The general customer service email you just get a scripted response but I think we deserve more and this should be escalated up the chain, which I don't think it is. I thought I had my garage on side but they have gone quiet and have not responded to my last email asking if my complaint had been forwarded higher up within MG.

Paul

I see that this issue is not just UK based from the post from our friend above, MG have just posted record profits for the UK as well £54 million I think probably how much they saved on fitted sub-standard radio equipment :mad:

I think that Mr Wainright has tried to contact the CEO at MG as detsiled on the previous page. It would appear that all at MG are fobbing customers off with various responses. Nobody has confirmed that there is a suitable solution to restore a fully working DAB radio into the infotainment head unit as there should have been in the first instance. Appalling response in my book. Not happy here

No either am I, I did get a response from my contact and he is on holiday for a couple of weeks so hopefully he will pick it up when he returns.

Bought MG HS PHEV back in May 23 and today decided to pursue a complaint against MG and MG Erdington who failed to mention these issues and left me to find out the problems as outlined in all the previous posts. MG Erdington won't even do me the courtesy of responding to my three emails sent to various staff and the owner. So good old recorded delivery is next. I am aware I'm probably waisting my time but hopefully at some point someone with legal knowledge will be collating names for a Class Action and hopefully this thread will assist them in finding us!

Sadly you are not alone with the missing dealer situation. I wish you all the best in getting a resolution to this situation. I think untill a joint action is brought we should still pursue our individual cases as this is all evidence we can use moving forward. It is such a shame that a relatively small issue is causing so much bad feeling amongst owners. This could have so been a none issue, just swap out the radio! What is wrong with these people?

Paul

I agree with both above comments. In fact, MG and there respective dealerships could have made this a positive marketing tactic by resolving the issue in a proactive and professional manner. Instead, they seem determined to bury there heads in the sand, hoping that the problem will just go away. Shame on them.

Since last week MG Erdington responded and booked me in for a refit of a NEW Module which they have assured me would have everything working perfectly but in the interim MG Customer Services sent me this response -

There was a well-publicised worldwide shortage of semiconductors (microchips), following Covid, and by early 2022, we had a decision to make. We needed to find a solution to fit DAB radio and our solution was a USB dongle connected via a junction box and antenna on windscreen of the car.
The alternative was that no DAB radio could be installed, and in fact, many motor manufacturers decided not to include radio in their cars at all.
We promised the dealer network that we would look at this again once the supply improved, however, by todays date, this is still not the case. Therefore, we have been testing various solutions and your dealership do now have an alternative system, to offer you. The new system will be connected via an RBRM module, connecting the cart back to its fin aerial. There will no longer be a need to have the antenna on the windscreen, trailing wires, or the USB dongle.
However, we are unable to restore RDS to the FM stations and we cannot offer you channel search or channel store for the DAB. This new solution is available and I can confirm that it is our final solution.
MG Motor UK Ltd. have not broken any rules under Sale Of Goods Act or CRA 2015 relating to this system, and we have and will continue to do our best to offer solutions at a difficult time. All point of sale literature and owner’s manual clearly indicates that specification can change, without notice, at any time.
Please make an appointment with your MG dealership and they will be able to install the new solution for you.
I am truly sorry for any disappointment or inconvenience that this may have caused and I trust that this issues has not detracted from the many positive aspects of being an MG HS owner.

Other than the DAB Receiver being hidden they'll be no change and as far as MG are concerned that is the end of it.

I'll take the fix as it hides everything and await some Law Firm to take them on in the distant future!!

Since last week MG Erdington responded and booked me in for a refit of a NEW Module which they have assured me would have everything working perfectly but in the interim MG Customer Services sent me this response -

There was a well-publicised worldwide shortage of semiconductors (microchips), following Covid, and by early 2022, we had a decision to make. We needed to find a solution to fit DAB radio and our solution was a USB dongle connected via a junction box and antenna on windscreen of the car.
The alternative was that no DAB radio could be installed, and in fact, many motor manufacturers decided not to include radio in their cars at all.
We promised the dealer network that we would look at this again once the supply improved, however, by todays date, this is still not the case. Therefore, we have been testing various solutions and your dealership do now have an alternative system, to offer you. The new system will be connected via an RBRM module, connecting the cart back to its fin aerial. There will no longer be a need to have the antenna on the windscreen, trailing wires, or the USB dongle.
However, we are unable to restore RDS to the FM stations and we cannot offer you channel search or channel store for the DAB. This new solution is available and I can confirm that it is our final solution.
MG Motor UK Ltd. have not broken any rules under Sale Of Goods Act or CRA 2015 relating to this system, and we have and will continue to do our best to offer solutions at a difficult time. All point of sale literature and owner’s manual clearly indicates that specification can change, without notice, at any time.
Please make an appointment with your MG dealership and they will be able to install the new solution for you.
I am truly sorry for any disappointment or inconvenience that this may have caused and I trust that this issues has not detracted from the many positive aspects of being an MG HS owner.

Other than the DAB Receiver being hidden they'll be no change and as far as MG are concerned that is the end of it.

I'll take the fix as it hides everything and await some Law Firm to take them on in the distant future!!
I gave up on MG doing anything useful and they flat out confirmed there would not even be decent audio upgrades even as a paid option. I also asked about having a full spec unit from a scrap vehicle of the same age fitted and they said it 'might' void the warranty.

Not much I could do re the FM and RDS, but I have done my own fix for a better DAB experience outlined in the MG5 thread here: Post in thread 'Dab radio' Dab radio

I also have better media playback options (eg playlists, album, artist playback), better/faster/ more responsive navigation and better calling options than the stock offering

I have resigned to using android auto until I can afford to get rid of the car. Shocking from MG thinking any old crap will do. Also fitting a radio will void the warranty!? WTF! I would like to see that one stand up in court. I now know that to get everything in writing, my dealer did inform me of the situation but did say that it would be rectified. I didn't think that for one moment it would be the cheapest half arsed fix possible. They have our money and couldn't care less about what we feel or think. That's me done with this brand of car.

I have resigned to using android auto until I can afford to get rid of the car. Shocking from MG thinking any old crap will do. Also fitting a radio will void the warranty!? WTF! I would like to see that one stand up in court. I now know that to get everything in writing, my dealer did inform me of the situation but did say that it would be rectified. I didn't think that for one moment it would be the cheapest half arsed fix possible. They have our money and couldn't care less about what we feel or think. That's me done with this brand of car.
I agree, will most likely go for a different brand next time just because of the arrogant stance MG have taken which is a shame as the car itself is good

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom