DAB RADIO

If I had been sold a brand new sub-standard vehicle, with no mention of any problems, I would be livid. I would seek legal advice about rejecting the vehicle under UK legislation because it is not as described.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just posting here to say my Dad has the same issue with the radio (no RDS, no DAB presets). Think he has the interim fix, but still doesn't work as it should.

Has been on at MG to get it sorted but isn't getting anywhere, which seems to be because there is nowhere to go!

The dealer did offer to part exchange the faulty car though, at the going rate!!!

Would be interested to see if some kind of group claim is made to get an appropriate outcome, seems MG are washing there hands at the moment.

Since last week MG Erdington responded and booked me in for a refit of a NEW Module which they have assured me would have everything working perfectly but in the interim MG Customer Services sent me this response -

There was a well-publicised worldwide shortage of semiconductors (microchips), following Covid, and by early 2022, we had a decision to make. We needed to find a solution to fit DAB radio and our solution was a USB dongle connected via a junction box and antenna on windscreen of the car.
The alternative was that no DAB radio could be installed, and in fact, many motor manufacturers decided not to include radio in their cars at all.
We promised the dealer network that we would look at this again once the supply improved, however, by todays date, this is still not the case. Therefore, we have been testing various solutions and your dealership do now have an alternative system, to offer you. The new system will be connected via an RBRM module, connecting the cart back to its fin aerial. There will no longer be a need to have the antenna on the windscreen, trailing wires, or the USB dongle.
However, we are unable to restore RDS to the FM stations and we cannot offer you channel search or channel store for the DAB. This new solution is available and I can confirm that it is our final solution.
MG Motor UK Ltd. have not broken any rules under Sale Of Goods Act or CRA 2015 relating to this system, and we have and will continue to do our best to offer solutions at a difficult time. All point of sale literature and owner’s manual clearly indicates that specification can change, without notice, at any time.
Please make an appointment with your MG dealership and they will be able to install the new solution for you.
I am truly sorry for any disappointment or inconvenience that this may have caused and I trust that this issues has not detracted from the many positive aspects of being an MG HS owner.

Other than the DAB Receiver being hidden they'll be no change and as far as MG are concerned that is the end of it.

I'll take the fix as it hides everything and await some Law Firm to take them on in the distant future!!

I'm not sure I understand what MG say. Presumably, MG cars being sold now have full DAB Radio capability so the supply of the correct components must have improved. Nor do I know what the UK legislation concerning DAB Radio requires. Can anyone help?

While I fully understand that people are getting upset I would have thought that the legal requirement was to have a DAB receiver installed which MG have done. While I can see why the absence of presets and RDS upsets those without them at the end of the day they are purely refinements to the system and in no way does it mean the car doesn't have DAB. We all bought MG's knowing that they were manufactured and sold by a Chinese company. Having spent many years dealing with Korean companies if the Chinese are as I suspect even more hard to deal with then good luck trying to sort problems out. I'm afraid non European companies don't have the same culture as we do. The customer doesn't sit at the top of the list of priorities.

While I fully understand that people are getting upset I would have thought that the legal requirement was to have a DAB receiver installed which MG have done. While I can see why the absence of presets and RDS upsets those without them at the end of the day they are purely refinements to the system and in no way does it mean the car doesn't have DAB. We all bought MG's knowing that they were manufactured and sold by a Chinese company. Having spent many years dealing with Korean companies if the Chinese are as I suspect even more hard to deal with then good luck trying to sort problems out. I'm afraid non European companies don't have the same culture as we do. The customer doesn't sit at the top of the list of priorities.
Any company will respond if adverse customer reaction affects sales. We need to understand what the proposed solution actually does. What is an RBRM Module? If cars currently on sale have full DAB capability why can't this be provided? Etc.

Hi .I have had the same problem with my mg hs hybrid but its been a night mare..ive had the car to 2 different mg dealerships both say there is a problem with the antenna wire coming from the wiring harness..the dab icon lights up but no stations can be turned in ..on the dealerships report it says the antenna connector that goes to the new updated dab converter box is damaged and so cannot be connected to the new converter box ..does anybody out there know where the antenna cable and converter box is located..ive been told by a friend its under the steering whell ..iam a radio ham and fitting a new connector to the antenna cable would probably take me a few minutes I just need to know where exactly the antenna cable and converter box is under the dash..can anyone help please as I don't really want to wait till mid January for the dealerships to get round to it ...thanks to all on this site and good luck with your cars ..thanks paul

Hi .I have had the same problem with my mg hs hybrid but its been a night mare..ive had the car to 2 different mg dealerships both say there is a problem with the antenna wire coming from the wiring harness..the dab icon lights up but no stations can be turned in ..on the dealerships report it says the antenna connector that goes to the new updated dab converter box is damaged and so cannot be connected to the new converter box ..does anybody out there know where the antenna cable and converter box is located..ive been told by a friend its under the steering whell ..iam a radio ham and fitting a new connector to the antenna cable would probably take me a few minutes I just need to know where exactly the antenna cable and converter box is under the dash..can anyone help please as I don't really want to wait till mid January for the dealerships to get round to it ...thanks to all on this site and good luck with your cars ..thanks paul
All plugs and wires are part of the wiring harness. If the plug itself is damaged it will probably mean the complete replacement of the aerial assembly, including dropping the headlining and the removal of the dash top to get the signal connected to the RBRm module. If they are getting you a new one and fitting it under warranty you would be very ill advised not to wait for a short time to get it fixed properly.

All plugs and wires are part of the wiring harness. If the plug itself is damaged it will probably mean the complete replacement of the aerial assembly, including dropping the headlining and the removal of the dash top to get the signal connected to the RBRm module. If they are getting you a new one and fitting it under warranty you would be very ill advised not to wait for a short time to get it fixed properly.
Hi thank you very much for your reply ..yes I will get them to do the work I was just hoping to do a temp fix so as to have some form of DAB till then.. even something like a front windscreen antenna problem I have at the moment is I can't find the converter box I know its connected because the DAB icon lights up and it runs through the tuning process but of course no stations received ..would you happen to know where they locate the dab converter box ..?? Thanks again ..Paul

Wow! just got off the phone with MG Richmond, Guildford, Surrey and cant tell you how angry I feel about the whole DAB radio issue and how let down I feel about the Car I bought nearly 14 months ago.
Bought the car in 2022 on a 72 plate and told the lead from the DAB radio was a temporary fix.
A year and a half down has passed and I, like others, are still waiting for a resolution.
This is not customer service, this is a con! I like others bought the car in good faith on the understanding the DAB issue would be resolved in a short period of time and here I am along with it appears many others waiting for a semiconductor which is absolute rubbish! If knew that it would be this long without a resolution then i would of seriously looked at another car brand, but because of the greed of car manufacturers wanting to sell cars that are defective and and not 100% then we the customer just have to wait, and as i was told by the Customer Service manager in Guildford, Surrey, " you are not the only one" that makes it OK ?
MG you have a serious problem, that your name is being associated with the same scandalous operators and Senior Managers in our Post office and your credibility is suffering because of that.
I strongly urge you to resolve this issue for all of the MG 5 Exclusive owners who have had to grin and bear a ridiculous fix that you call temporary in the hope that they either forget, or go away.
I promise you, this is not acceptable and I am not going away !
I would like a sensible fix to the car that I purchased and hope that this can happen sooner rather than later or be offered a full refund and return the car as this is not what I was expecting to purchase!

I am also very annoyed about this. The infotainment hardware and software are a big let down for an otherwise decent car. What remedy do we have against MG? Complaints to a Consumer Watchdog? Class action lawsuit?

There may be something in the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

If at least £100 of the payment for it was made using a credit card, under S75, could the car potentially be rejected?

There may be something in the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

If at least £100 of the payment for it was made using a credit card, under S75, could the car potentially be rejected?
I will never buy another mg I've had 3 ..2 MG ZS and 1 MG HS PHEV all have had lots of problems I would never advise anyone to buy one.. Unless it was someone I did not like.. The whole dab radio thing is a disgrace ..as for the other faults there are to many to list.

I can only comment on my experiences. While I've had a few minor niggles, my MY23 MG4 LR hasn't been too bad.

However, so far, we have not been driving it as much as we did the previous car, a Honda FRV Diesel, which did an average of 13,000 a year over its 13.5 year time with us. The MG has currently done an average of just over 700 miles per month.

To be fair, the two cars overlapped for the first month or 2 and the larger car was our preference when carrying 5 or running to the tip.

Wow! just got off the phone with MG Richmond, Guildford, Surrey and cant tell you how angry I feel about the whole DAB radio issue and how let down I feel about the Car I bought nearly 14 months ago.
Bought the car in 2022 on a 72 plate and told the lead from the DAB radio was a temporary fix.
A year and a half down has passed and I, like others, are still waiting for a resolution.
This is not customer service, this is a con! I like others bought the car in good faith on the understanding the DAB issue would be resolved in a short period of time and here I am along with it appears many others waiting for a semiconductor which is absolute rubbish! If knew that it would be this long without a resolution then i would of seriously looked at another car brand, but because of the greed of car manufacturers wanting to sell cars that are defective and and not 100% then we the customer just have to wait, and as i was told by the Customer Service manager in Guildford, Surrey, " you are not the only one" that makes it OK ?
MG you have a serious problem, that your name is being associated with the same scandalous operators and Senior Managers in our Post office and your credibility is suffering because of that.
I strongly urge you to resolve this issue for all of the MG 5 Exclusive owners who have had to grin and bear a ridiculous fix that you call temporary in the hope that they either forget, or go away.
I promise you, this is not acceptable and I am not going away !
I would like a sensible fix to the car that I purchased and hope that this can happen sooner rather than later or be offered a full refund and return the car as this is not what I was expecting to purchase!
Hi as you may be able to see some posts on here from a while back.

I have sent various photos and emails to MG head office and eventually took my dealer to the small claims court and won against them..
This is a major thing to do but I wasn't going to let them win with regards to my DAB situation

This is the person who helped me get a out of court settlement with regards the DAB situation
If anybody need clarification on how I done this or the Independent inspection I had done on my MG this after the supposed fix your welcome to all emails I received from CEO of MG and many others emails

The person who helped me his name is Scott Dixon Google the complaints resolveer and he has books to download etc...
Don't be afraid of fighting for your rights

I am also very annoyed about this. The infotainment hardware and software are a big let down for an otherwise decent car. What remedy do we have against MG? Complaints to a Consumer Watchdog? Class action lawsuit?
Unfortunately no small claims court is the answer

S22(3) Consumer Rights Act 2015 gives you a short-term right to reject faulty goods within 30 days. Google search make & model often reveals common faults in the public domain to prove your case. No retailer will tell you that!
#consumerrights

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240124-183750.png
    Screenshot_20240124-183750.png
    317.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20240124-180130.png
    Screenshot_20240124-180130.png
    326 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20240124-184706.png
    Screenshot_20240124-184706.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
Do new 2024 MGs being currently delivered have fully functioning DAB radios?
Hi the new shape MGs will be fine, and if you're getting a 2024 model it will be definitely the new shape.

Ps I forgot to mention that if you have had the first fix for the DAB issues this will the only ever fix you will get so.
I have emails from MG CEO to confirm this

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom