DAB RADIO

Poor customer service is universal. I could quote several bad experiences with UK and US companies. Whatever you think of Chinese companies, they are certainly not stupid. If it is clear to them that an issue may affect future sales, they will respond. That is normal commercial behaviour.

Therefore, if we want a favorable outcome to the DAB issue, many owners must complain to MG, dealers and the motoring media. If we just complain here, we will achieve, and deserve, nothing.

Poor customer service is universal. I could quote several bad experiences with UK and US companies. Whatever you think of Chinese companies, they are certainly not stupid. If it is clear to them that an issue may affect future sales, they will respond. That is normal commercial behaviour.

Therefore, if we want a favorable outcome to the DAB issue, many owners must complain to MG, dealers and the motoring media. If we just complain here, we will achieve, and deserve, nothing.
I agree with you totally, the more people that complain the quicker we will have a resolution. I was privy to an internal memo when trying to pick up my new car and complaining about the wire from the glove box. It stated that MG had numerous dissatisfied customers regarding the DAB situation and were working hard on a resolution to the problem. Let's hope within the next few weeks we here something positive regarding this situation.

Paul

I have emailed customer services as requested in this forum. I received my new 2023 HS last Friday and the DAB had not been plugged in although told that the workshop would have the vehicle ready for collection. Love the car but dissatisfied with DAB temporary fix and dealership not fulfilling promise. I worry if this will ever will be fixed
!!

I got the same fob off response back from MG as NEILO. It seems clear that MG have no intention of a recall as this could have been fixed months ago. I also believe that the dealerships know more than they are telling there customers. No after sales support whatsoever

The obvious customer service failure in respect of DAB seems to be one facet of a general M.G indifference to the idea of customer service excellence. Paradoxically this a very real problem for a product possessed of a long warranty.

As someone who is about to take delivery of an HS PHEV and has owned and purchased 9 SAIC Mg’s since 2012, having never had serious long term issues with any of them, I find the idea that SAIC are incapable of managing to deliver cars with a working DAB receiver almost too ridiculous to contemplate..
My current car is Mg Zs trophy Lr and in truth the radio and head unit is not great on the car, but I have used Apple car play and Bluetooth to steam radio mealy the whole time. I think the world is moving away from onboard radios towards internet and soon all cars will be made to do this. However for now if it’s sold it must be supplied in accordance with the blurb. Anything less than that is a misdescription under the sale of goods act.

I also noticed a bit of sneakiness on dealer's part in that during the test drive the usb was disconnected. When I collected the car I thought it was a badly installed dashcam plugged in.

The big issue for me is the effective loss of a data usb port, as I would have music stored on a micro usb connected to one and the phone attached to the other. Would this 'temporary' fix for DAB essentially change the advertised specification as you can't have both DAB and 2 usable data ports

I suppose my question is, how many people who have had the DAB bodge on their car, have had it recalled and repaired and if so when was it done. I do not understand why it is only some cars and not all. This does not add up.

😂 Yes the silence speaks volumes. This is a bit concerning as this issue has been going on for over a year and nobody has had a fix.
I think we need to maybe look at some sort of class action as we as individuals are getting nowhere.

As the mid life facelift is said to have a revised head unit of similar look and dimensions surely if all else fails they could if they wish swap out the duff head units without major changes. Fitting an infotainment unit in a car is not rocket science even when it is heavily integrated and almost certainly is capable of being programmed to work.

What will they do when a head unit fails which inevitably some will? Scrap the car! I don’t think so.

I collected my new HS PHEV Exclusive 3 weeks ago, the DAB radio is integral but it’s crap to navigate around , it Loses signal frequently and doesn’t auto retune, the FM radio has no RDS or station ident and doesn’t auto retune. Apple car play frequently disconnects for no apparent reason. The whole infotainment system is akin to a 20 year old v1 android tablet and really lets down an otherwise decent car, you can see where they are cutting costs.

I collected my new HS PHEV Exclusive 3 weeks ago, the DAB radio is integral but it’s crap to navigate around , it Loses signal frequently and doesn’t auto retune, the FM radio has no RDS or station ident and doesn’t auto retune. Apple car play frequently disconnects for no apparent reason. The whole infotainment system is akin to a 20 year old v1 android tablet and really lets down an otherwise decent car, you can see where they are cutting costs.
Have you got a car without the temp DAB ariel on the screen?

I picked mine up from dealers yesterday, and driven it home with mileage totalling nearly 400 miles. I have to say I am utterly delighted with the way it drives the comfort quality and performance.

The head unit performed flawlessly using Google maps and radio player from my Iphone and as such I am unconcerned about the bodge fix dab sitting in the Glove Box until they do repair the situation, and as the onboard maps are the old £100 update ones, will not be updating these anyway, preferring to use Waze, Google Maps, or Apple Maps. However the head unit worked well with very clear screen graphics.

I was also made aware by my dealer that MG have issued a letter to dealers giving an undertaking that they will be remedying the issue, so I feel relaxed about it for the time being.

I will however write to MG stating that I note their good intentions of which I have been made aware to accept delivery of the vehicle, but will therefore expect them to make good on their promise of rectification to full functionality..

Picked my MY23 Trophy up today. DAB didn’t work but in the station list setting there is a refresh icon top right of the screen. Pressed it and it worked!!

Hi Delboy,
I think that you will find that the MG response is very negative. There stance is that this is not a temporary solution. No solution has yet been announced, and no recalls have been made as far as I am aware. Not happy as this just seem to be a fob off. Regards, Paul
I picked mine up from dealers yesterday, and driven it home with mileage totalling nearly 400 miles. I have to say I am utterly delighted with the way it drives the comfort quality and performance.

The head unit performed flawlessly using Google maps and radio player from my Iphone and as such I am unconcerned about the bodge fix dab sitting in the Glove Box until they do repair the situation, and as the onboard maps are the old £100 update ones, will not be updating these anyway, preferring to use Waze, Google Maps, or Apple Maps. However the head unit worked well with very clear screen graphics.

I was also made aware by my dealer that MG have issued a letter to dealers giving an undertaking that they will be remedying the issue, so I feel relaxed about it for the time being.

I will however write to MG stating that I note their good intentions of which I have been made aware to accept delivery of the vehicle, but will therefore expect them to make good on their promise of rectification to full functionality..

Hi Delboy,
I think that you will find that the MG response is very negative. There stance is that this is not a temporary solution. No solution has yet been announced, and no recalls have been made as far as I am aware. Not happy as this just seem to be a fob off. Regards, Paul
Good Morning,
I agree with you that no solution has been announced, that no recalls or suggestions have been made and yes it must be done and properly!
However where I differ is the interpretation of what MG are saying. They have written to the dealer network referring to it as a temporary solution which they are looking for an answer to, which will give rise to a recall bulletin When it is issued. That sounds to me that they are embarrassed by the situation and will try to fix it quietly when they have a proper solution.
However I will be writing as previously stated reminding them of their stated intention.
Incidentally if they really intended to palm us off with the reduced functions as a permanent fix they would have come up with a solution that did not shout it is such an obvious bodge. The cable out of the glove box tells all on this point. This is a quickly reversible thing.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom