DAB RADIO

When I said previously they were rolling out good ones this was before I had a proper play with the radio...

It's honestly shockingly bad as can be seen from the attached photos, missing key usability features and features that are there don't seem to function.

No DAB categories button, no radio information, no list of favourite stations, no add/remove favourites.

20230430_143759.jpg

All you have is next station, prev station, station search and station list.

Station list will give you a full list of stations with a scroll bar on right or swipe on list to move up or down the several hundred stations.

20230430_143822.jpg

The alphabetical list on the left which I assume should jump to the chosen named stations does nothing at all, listing remains at the selected place.

20230430_143846.jpg20230430_143901.jpg20230430_143916.jpg

From reading previous posts it seems like they've just integrated the hardware of the bodge thereby removing the aerial and USB cable, functionality is still garbage!

edit: the FM tuner is also poop, only shows frequency and seems to be missing any RDS data.

Last edited:
I took delivery of my MG HS Exclusive PHEV on 29 March 2023. Nothing was said about the DAB Radio issue. I noticed the gadget on the windscreen and the USB cable in the glovebox some weeks later. Can someone explain simply to me what the issue is and how the USB fix is supposed to be used? I have noticed when using the radio, I cannot find a way to enter station names. Any help appreciated.

It'impossible to save favourite stations . Sorry

So this is why I have no station information.
Looking back over the thread the following suggestions have been made:
  1. Class Action against MG. I imagine there are solicitors who might consider this on a No Win No Fee basis. But looking at timescales quoted over the Emissions Class Actions, this could take many years.
  2. Taking action against the selling dealer under the Sale of Goods Act. This might be possible but is a car unfit for purpose because of radio shortcomings?
  3. Await MG recall. It is surprising that a Chinese manufacturer can't find an alternative supplier of the necessary chip. Presumably MG have the specification.
  4. Not sure if this has been mentioned but another option might be to contact the motoring media to give exposure to the problem. This could affect MG sales and might stimulate MG into finding an early solution. This sort of exposure combined with many complaints to MG are probably the best routes to a resolution. Anyone have good contacts with motoring magazines, Top Gear etc.?

Two further thoughts:

Do we know how many UK cars are affected by this?

Are UK MG HS's now being produced with properly integrated DAB Radios? If so, why not replace the whole LCD Unit in a recall rather than a chip? Revised LCD Units are presumably now available. Doubtless cost comes into this but MG's reputation must also figure.

Just to stir the pot even more:

Noticed something with my new HS - it only has 1 USB socket in the centre console and the screen shows a green USB symbol as in the photo above (would indicate to me that something is connected via USB) - there's definately nothing plugged into any of the visible USB sockets in the car.

I'm guessing the whole bodge tuner has just been moved to behind the dash, a different fascia modelled with only 1 USB and the other socket left behind this fascia with the bodge tuner attached to it as usual.

I received my HS on Thursday and I can confirm there is no device stuck to the windscreen, but the DAB does not work as you would expect! You can’t programme any favourite stations, and the FM doesn’t even tell you the name of the stations you can program in! Also only 1 USB port when there should be 2. I have been fobbed off by my dealer saying I just have to suck it up! Not impressed!

MG's sloppy and uncaring attitude to the DAB problem is a total turn off for me. Have had previous problems with Chinese Q.C in optics. M.G seem to share them.

So this is why I have no station information.
Looking back over the thread the following suggestions have been made:
  1. Class Action against MG. I imagine there are solicitors who might consider this on a No Win No Fee basis. But looking at timescales quoted over the Emissions Class Actions, this could take many years.
  2. Taking action against the selling dealer under the Sale of Goods Act. This might be possible but is a car unfit for purpose because of radio shortcomings?
  3. Await MG recall. It is surprising that a Chinese manufacturer can't find an alternative supplier of the necessary chip. Presumably MG have the specification.
  4. Not sure if this has been mentioned but another option might be to contact the motoring media to give exposure to the problem. This could affect MG sales and might stimulate MG into finding an early solution. This sort of exposure combined with many complaints to MG are probably the best routes to a resolution. Anyone have good contacts with motoring magazines, Top Gear etc.?

Two further thoughts:

Do we know how many UK cars are affected by this?

Are UK MG HS's now being produced with properly integrated DAB Radios? If so, why not replace the whole LCD Unit in a recall rather than a chip? Revised LCD Units are presumably now available. Doubtless cost comes into this but MG's reputation must also figure.
I am in favour of class action.
Reason, no preset option for my favorite stations.

I am sure we can create a log or something similar for HS owners to complain about issue (contact affected groups in other parts of the world as well, i.e Australia and so on).
And once a reasonable number is reached will inform DVSA and trading standards. Surely MG will resolve the issue if this happens.

International Class Action may not be possible because of differing legal systems. Not sure if Trading Standards would do anything.

The root of the problem is a global shortage of computer chips. Many other manufacturers quote long delays in supplying cars because of this. MG has opted to keep supplying cars but with the temporary, albeit unsatisfactory, DAB Radio fix. Presumably, they have sufficient supplies of other chips for their cars.

Pressure on MG from owners and publicity is probably the way forward.

I do believe that trading standards would take action, reason being is the way DAB is presented in infotainment booklet.
It clearly shows with pictures that you have the possibility to preset but in reality this is not possible (DAB is pictured, not FM).

On this alone, the manufacturer has been misleading on purpose and is not offering a clear resolution for this matter.
On top of that other models do not have this issue with the DAB.

I took delivery of a petrol HS in January and think it’s not only disgraceful that MG are ignoring this DAB radio issue but they’ve downgraded the FM radio as well.
There is no RDS or AF so as you drive around the reception degrades unless you manually retune. In the handbook there is a DAB/RDS settings option which does not now exist, presumably they have removed it because there is no integrated DAB, but in doing so have also removed the RDS and AF? functions for the FM radio.
It looks like it‘s coming up to twelve months that they’ve been shipping cars like this and complaints are falling on deaf ears with dealers and MG direct. MG registered nearly 3,500 new HS models in January (SMMT) so there are probably now 30,000 plus with this DAB issue for that model alone. What other models are affected? Could be over 50,000 cars in total?
Plenty of publicity about how well MG are doing so I think this should be put out there as well and hopefully it will gain some traction.

I took delivery of a petrol HS in January and think it’s not only disgraceful that MG are ignoring this DAB radio issue but they’ve downgraded the FM radio as well.
There is no RDS or AF so as you drive around the reception degrades unless you manually retune. In the handbook there is a DAB/RDS settings option which does not now exist, presumably they have removed it because there is no integrated DAB, but in doing so have also removed the RDS and AF? functions for the FM radio.
It looks like it‘s coming up to twelve months that they’ve been shipping cars like this and complaints are falling on deaf ears with dealers and MG direct.
MG registered nearly 3500 HS models in January 2023 (SMMT) so there are probably 30,000 or so HSs in the UK with this problem, plus any other models that have the same problem.
I think it’s time to let the motoring and consumer press know about this.

Thank goodness I came across this forum. I went for a test drive and placed a holding deposit for a brand new HS PHEV exclusive. I was told during the test drive earlier this week that the current DAB set up was temporary and the vehicle would be recalled to have the DAB chip installed. I’ve emailed the dealer referring them to this forum and asked for clarification, Also informed them I would not be completing the transaction without guarantee and written confirmation from MG on fix date. I’ll let you know what they come back with but I suspect from this forum that I will be contacting my credit card card provider to recall the holding deposit as it’s been mis-sold. We will see.

Last edited by a moderator:
In this day and age for me the audio in cars has to work well. The CD understandably is dead so DAB and USB must work well. Just replaced my 2nd car with a Kia Picanto and the audio linked to phones and mem sticks instantly without a hitch. I'll want the same soon for my main car replacement and M.G will need to get their act together to get my business.

Thank goodness I came across this forum. I went for a test drive and placed a holding deposit for a brand new HS PHEV exclusive. I was told during the test drive earlier this week that the current DAB set up was temporary and the vehicle would be recalled to have the DAB chip installed. I’ve emailed the dealer referring them to this forum and asked for clarification, Also informed them I would not be completing the transaction without guarantee and written confirmation from MG on fix date. I’ll let you know what they come back with but I suspect from this forum that I will be contacting my credit card card provider to recall the holding deposit as it’s been mis-sold. We will see.
Well the dealer has gone very quiet since asking for written confirmation before purchase that this will be rectified. Vehicle is ready for collection. Very strange for sale completion.

I am about to try to contact a MG Director about this. Before I do, can anyone confirm that MG cars currently being shipped to UK have fully functional DAB Radios?

My colleagues have the facelift 5 and say that they have DABs built in. Delivered from March this year.

Here is the email sent to Guy Pigounakis. Let's see what sort of answer is produced.

Dear Mr Pigounakis

You will be aware of the DAB Radio situation on MG HS cars, (and possibly other models), where, because of a global shortage of semiconductor components and closure of an MG supplier, a temporary solution has been adopted to allow sales to continue.
You may not be aware of the growing concern, evident on consumer fora, among affected MG HS owners, which must number many thousands. There is widespread dissatisfaction with the temporary fix which is clumsy and unsightly, often does not work and loses much radio functionality. This has been compounded by an unhelpful response from MG Customer Service when contacted about the problem. There will soon be adverse publicity in the motoring media, legal action against dealers, or even Class Action if something is not done to resolve the issue satisfactorily. This will damage MG's reputation and have an adverse impact on sales. There are already indications of orders being cancelled.
I understand that MG cars now being sold in the UK have fully functional DAB Radios. It should therefore be possible to resolve the matter by recall where the component, or even the Display Unit, is replaced. It would be helpful if MG were to issue a statement indicating that such a recall will happen within a reasonably short, defined timescale. I would be grateful if you would look at this.

Here is the email sent to Guy Pigounakis. Let's see what sort of answer is produced.

Dear Mr Pigounakis

You will be aware of the DAB Radio situation on MG HS cars, (and possibly other models), where, because of a global shortage of semiconductor components and closure of an MG supplier, a temporary solution has been adopted to allow sales to continue.
You may not be aware of the growing concern, evident on consumer fora, among affected MG HS owners, which must number many thousands. There is widespread dissatisfaction with the temporary fix which is clumsy and unsightly, often does not work and loses much radio functionality. This has been compounded by an unhelpful response from MG Customer Service when contacted about the problem. There will soon be adverse publicity in the motoring media, legal action against dealers, or even Class Action if something is not done to resolve the issue satisfactorily. This will damage MG's reputation and have an adverse impact on sales. There are already indications of orders being cancelled.
I understand that MG cars now being sold in the UK have fully functional DAB Radios. It should therefore be possible to resolve the matter by recall where the component, or even the Display Unit, is replaced. It would be helpful if MG were to issue a statement indicating that such a recall will happen within a reasonably short, defined timescale. I would be grateful if you would look at this.
I have a 23 plate which I collected 2 weeks ago. Whilst I don’t have the device attached to my windscreen, it is important to note that my DAB is not fully functional. It is completely un-user friendly, you can’t favourite any stations and therefore changing between stations is not only difficult but also extremely unsafe whilst driving.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom