DAB RADIO

I was going to Part exchange my 1year HS PHEV for the new silver colour as love the vehicle , different dealers are saying different things about this DAB issue, some say it’s temporary and they will eventually be recalled others say it’s a permanent fix .
Contacted MG H/O and basically have been told it will be years before anything happens . Am telling my dealership that if my Silver one arrives with this DAB aerial stick on the windscreen I’m not going to purchase as I am confident Mg will never recall these and rectify the issue as it would simply be too costly for them .Great shame as these vehicles are good but this is
a “ Mickey Mouse “ way of installing what should be most definitely a temporary fix .
My advice to all if you can , simply don’t buy.

We just to keep all informed. I have just taken ownership of my MG HS. Guess what. It has the "Temporary" retrofit solution. I was not even made aware by the dealership during the test drive, or handover. Its a small issue, but angry with MG for not being professional in resolving the issue. And with the dealerships tactics

We just to keep all informed. I have just taken ownership of my MG HS. Guess what. It has the "Temporary" retrofit solution. I was not even made aware by the dealership during the test drive, or handover. Its a small issue, but angry with MG for not being professional in resolving the issue. And with the dealerships tactics
Did you dealership say this is a temporary fit ?, as another dealer I spoke to stated it’s not a temporary but it’s permanent and MG won’t be re-calling them in the future to have it updated .

There will never be a recall or a fix. The company that supplied the chips went bust. The new facelift version of the hs coming out later this year has a different chip and no problem with dab radio. They keep saying shortage of chips etc to throw you off but speak to any other manufacturer, there are not shortages for cars anymore

My new HS PHEV arrives end of April , dealer is saying they are starting to arrive without the windscreen fit aerial , if it dies has it won’t be going ahead with it .

Should we start a class action to get a refund of some of some of the money we have paid for the car?
This sounds like the best course of action .I have told my dealer that I have had the car for nearly a year I am considering taking it up with the lease company and whether I can return the car under the under the consumer protection act would they supply the car with drum brakes instead of discs because the couldn't get discs .Us anyone interested in an action group would be my first question with court action as a possibility .

The MG dealers are inconsistent on what they are saying re the DAB aerial , some say there will be a recall when chips are available , others say there won’t be . I contacted MG and they said it could be years , which basically I take it to mean they won’t be recalling , so the windscreen aerial and the wire leading to the USB socket will remain . I recently asked a dealer why they had to have the lead going to the USB socket and not simply wire it into the car internal system he couldn’t answer the question! If MG want to retain their position in the market they need to do better with issues such as this and Dealers need to be consistent on what they are telling people .

Did you dealership say this is a temporary fit ?, as another dealer I spoke to stated it’s not a temporary but it’s permanent and MG won’t be re-calling them in the future to have it updated .
When I raised this issue, the dealership stated that as far as they were concerned, this is a retro fit. Even though this has been ongoing for over 1 year now. My dealership has contacted me and told me that he is meeting with MG this week. I am not that optimistic, but it does seem that dealerships across the country are trying to keep customers at bay by using this tactic. It amazes me as they continue to sell this model until the new facelift is issued

What is interesting is the fact that all vehicles that have been used for presentation online have no DAB issue. On top of that on the landing page the current station that is playing has been preset (heart on the right-hand side), but in all the vehicles that have been sold to customers have the temporary fix for DAB.
Have a look at this clip (3:37 is the section in that clip):

I am guessing that the 22 plate was the last to have integrated DAB before this chip company went bust. What I find difficult to swallow is how hard are MG trying to resolve this issue. We keep getting told it is a retro fit. My major gripe is what we are NOT getting told. IE, who is dealing with sourcing a new chip company, and what progress has been made to date. It is just a fob off to keep telling customers that this is ongoing and may take some time. Are MG/ Dealerships really trying to resolve this issue. It will not go away as far as I am concerned

Based on the feedback coming from dealers and/or MG customer service I have my reservations when it comes to something happening about this matter.
But I do believe that this will end up with legal action as frustration is reaching new highs.

Agreed Alex. I have a user manual issued with the car clearly showing how to operate the integrated onboard DAB radio for searches and pre-sets etc. You cannot just shove in a £34.99 retro fit piece of kit that you can buy from Amazon, and call it a replacement. MG did not even attempt to integrate it into the cars electrical system. Simply sticking it on the windscreen and coiling up the USB cable in the glovebox is nearly an insult to someone's intelligence and quality standards. Nowhere near good enough MG

After asking the question to a number of UK MG dealers for an update of when i could expect an ETA for the DAB radio shortage semiconductor for supply & fit to my MG HS PHEV to change the Temporary DAB wire through the glove box & into the centre console USB Port !. which prevents closure of the lid to the compartment, all replied (we don't know ) and some advised contact MG customer service for more information.... which i did.

MG customer service initial reply:
Thank you for getting in touch with MG motor! In this instance you would need to contact your local MG dealership who will be able to assist further.)
After replying to their inept response and asking for an escalation to higher management this prompted a further reply.

Thank you for your email and I am sorry that this may not have been explained correctly.
I am uncertain as to why your DAB radio would be described as a temporary measure.

As we are unable to obtain semiconductors in the required numbers, we have found an alternative way of installing DAB radio in our cars. As DAB is a requirement in the UK, this enables us to continue selling vehicles and so on. This works via USB connecting to an antenna on the LHS of the windscreen. This measure creates full DAB connectivity and it is our solution to the dilemma that we were faced with.

This has been the specification on certain models since February 2022 and remains the specification on certain models. Your dealership would be aware of this and it would also have been present on their demo model during your test drive.

I am truly sorry that this may not have been explained correctly. We will certainly look at this again when the supply of semiconductors improves, and certain other alternatives are being tested, unfortunately we may be looking at years rather than weeks or months before we can offer an alternative.
I trust that this will answer your questions regarding this matter and again, I am sorry that your vehicle may not be meeting with your expectations.
Kind regards
MG customer service
A lot of words but I feel sorry for all those owners were "mis-sold" their cars. It is completely unsatisfactory for MG to behave like this. Their action was taken to allow them to continue selling cars in the UK rather than out of concern for the purchasers. Disgraceful behaviour.

The Road Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2020

The Road Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2020​

Interoperability for car radio receivers​

22.—(1) A person commits an offence if a motor vehicle of category M—

(a)is made available for sale or rent by that person for the first time on or after 21st December 2020, and

(b)that motor vehicle is fitted with an integrated car radio receiver which is not permitted.

(2) An integrated car radio receiver is not permitted unless it comprises a receiver capable of receiving and reproducing at least radio services provided via digital terrestrial radio broadcasting.

(3) A car radio receiver which is in accordance with harmonised standards is to be taken to comply with the requirement of paragraph (2).

(4) In this regulation—

“car radio receiver” means any apparatus installed in a motor vehicle for the purpose of receiving (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) and reproducing any radio service, whether or not the apparatus is installed for any other purpose;

“harmonised standards” means any harmonised standards or parts thereof relating to whether a car radio receiver is capable of receiving and reproducing at least radio services provided via digital terrestrial radio broadcasting, the references of which have been published in the Official Journal of the European Union;

“made available” means any supply for distribution, consumption or use on the market in an EEA State in the course of a commercial activity, whether in return for payment or free of charge;

“radio service” means any of—

(a)
a sound broadcasting service, as defined in section 126 of the Broadcasting Act 1990(1);
(b)
a digital sound programme service or radio multiplex service, as defined in section 40 of the Broadcasting Act 1996(2);
(c)
the equivalent of the services in paragraphs (a) or (b) in another EEA State.

I'd say the radio receiver is the thing installed in the car not the cheap USB box stuffed into the glove box!

Totally agree Tweed98. Someone is being really economical with the truth here. MG appear to be washing there hands of it saying that this is a permanent solution. Dealerships across the country do not seem to be making potential buyers aware of this issue. And when challenged after the sale, they are stating that it is a temporary retro fit solution. It can only be one of the other. How it can be seen as a suitable replacement for the integrated DAB that is part of the cars Infotainment system beggars belief. Someone in MG needs to try it out and then comment on its performance. Both MG and there dealerships are scoring a massive own goal on this one regards to future reputation if they do not sort it out in a professional manner. Time to stand up and do the right thing

Ordered an HS petrol early Dec 22, took delivery yesterday - was made aware of the bodge DAB glovebox fix at time of order (was told it was temporary to comply with the "every new vehicle needs DAB" rules).

Vehicle had integrated DAB so it looks like they're slowly catching up and rolling out "good ones".

Also has a sunroof which I was told they'd removed from spec so was pleased about that.

Not so happy that the front passenger door won't open from inside!

I took delivery of my MG HS Exclusive PHEV on 29 March 2023. Nothing was said about the DAB Radio issue. I noticed the gadget on the windscreen and the USB cable in the glovebox some weeks later. Can someone explain simply to me what the issue is and how the USB fix is supposed to be used? I have noticed when using the radio, I cannot find a way to enter station names. Any help appreciated.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom