Dashcam install power from interior lights

I did my little upgrade jobs this afternoon, the LED's I got are blindingly bright though they semi fade a bit and then go off instead of the full fade.

I put a 12-5V convertor in and tapped onto the 12V power from the incoming cable. I just put a splice onto the conductors 3 (+12) and 4 (Gnd) padded the converter and hot glued into place, then the 5V output went to a USB-A socket that comes out just above the headlining above the mirror. All very neat.

All works great, just got to get some new dashcam sticky pads as I have none left, these come tomorrow. I thank everyone for their pictures.

If anybody is going to tap the 12V in the same way for their dashcam etc and also want to replace the interior bulbs for LED then I found that pulling the bulb holders out from behind was a lot easier than trying to pry the interior light lens off. The bulb holders just pull out easy, take the bulb out and put the LED in and then just pop the holder back into it hole, about 10 secs to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been trying without success to get the plastic trim from around the interior mirror off to help with hiding my dashcam cables.

Any tips, I feel like its going to break
Have not taken it off my self, but remembered your question when I saw this on AliExpress. Not quite sure this is what you are looking for, but this looks like it just snaps on an should be fastened like the original plastic trim.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240307-211705_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20240307-211705_AliExpress.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20240307-211654_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20240307-211654_AliExpress.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 40
Have not taken it off my self, but remembered your question when I saw this on AliExpress. Not quite sure this is what you are looking for, but this looks like it just snaps on an should be fastened like the original plastic trim.
I have made contact to some sellers already, they are left drive version only.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom