DashCam suggestions

That is really crazy. In what way would a dashcam be a ‘dangerous’ modification?? I think that needs challenging…
Wonder what they would think about wiring in a coffee machine?? :coffee::unsure:
Not a "dangerous" modification, just something they can charge you extra money for on the premium. :confused:

Not a "dangerous" modification, just something they can charge you extra money for on the premium. :confused:
If you’re only paying around £25 for it (as an example), it’s hardly a huge payout risk especially as it would help settle their claims quickly ( I would imagine) and - as far as I’m aware - they are very legal and pose no risk to driver. I imagine they will become standard on all cars but there will be big privacy concerns . That said, people were initially resistant to sat nav for similar reasons and now it’s a standard.

I too would like a dash cam. I asked my dealer about 18 months ago and was quoted £500. I thought that was rather steep so didn't proceed with it.

That is really crazy. In what way would a dashcam be a ‘dangerous’ modification?? I think that needs challenging…
Wonder what they would think about wiring in a coffee machine?? :coffee::unsure:
Its not about it being a "dangerous" modification... Take a brake upgrade... you put bigger and more powerful S3 brakes on a Golf GTI (which is commonly done in the mod community to improve the braking performance of the standard GTI brakes) it is classed as a modification and even though it will technically decrease the likelihood of a crash, it is classed as a performance modification and will increase the premiums.

Dash cams also have to be treated a bit like house alarms too... if you declare it, better make sure it is running all the time you are driving, always space on the card etc... with dash cams (and house alarms) it is best not to declare them, because in the event that you need to claim and it was not working (or not armed in the case of a house alarm) you will find yourself in a sticky situation.
I haven't heard of car insurance invalidating claims due to the absence of video evidence when the car was insured as having a dash cam declared, but I have heard instances where house insurance hasn't paid out because the occupants didn't use their declared house alarm (it was a monitored system which may have made a difference).

I realise I have taken a really ass about face way of explaining this, but Mods don't have to be "dangerous" to have an adverse effect on your vehicles insurance premium, also see LED bulbs (where not fitted as standard) is technically a modification which could affect premiums.

If you’re only paying around £25 for it (as an example), it’s hardly a huge payout risk especially as it would help settle their claims quickly ( I would imagine) and - as far as I’m aware - they are very legal and pose no risk to driver. I imagine they will become standard on all cars but there will be big privacy concerns . That said, people were initially resistant to sat nav for similar reasons and now it’s a standard.
What you have to remember though, is that dash cams can also help to blame the person who has the dash cam... I had a friend who submitted his footage after he claimed a car pulled out on him causing a crash. Upon reviewing the footage the 3rd party's insurance came back saying they would not be paying out because he was travelling in excess of the speed limit... Long story short there was a lot of back and forth and he ended up on a 50/50 responsibility for the incident and 3 points for speeding... Sometimes dash cams are not the best to have. If he hadn't had footage it would have been a pretty open and shut case in his favour because the car DID pull out on him but he didn't fancy trying it in court to argue the case that his excess speed wasn't a contributing factor to the incident lol. Lesson learned the hard way.

What you have to remember though, is that dash cams can also help to blame the person who has the dash cam... I had a friend who submitted his footage after he claimed a car pulled out on him causing a crash. Upon reviewing the footage the 3rd party's insurance came back saying they would not be paying out because he was travelling in excess of the speed limit... Long story short there was a lot of back and forth and he ended up on a 50/50 responsibility for the incident and 3 points for speeding... Sometimes dash cams are not the best to have. If he hadn't had footage it would have been a pretty open and shut case in his favour because the car DID pull out on him but he didn't fancy trying it in court to argue the case that his excess speed wasn't a contributing factor to the incident lol. Lesson learned the hard way.
I had the same, before submitting the footage the other driver was 100% to blame, after they made it a 50:50. Taxi driver pulled over to the left and started waving his hand out the window (with his phone in his hand I might add), which I took as a signal to pass, which he didn't like so he set off as I was passing and scraped my rear nearside wheel arch. It turned out he was waving to the drivers waiting at a give way on the opposite side of the road to emerge, which they didn't as they saw I was passing him. He was insured with the same company as me and after seeing the footage they said I was half to blame. :mad:

Its not about it being a "dangerous" modification... Take a brake upgrade... you put bigger and more powerful S3 brakes on a Golf GTI (which is commonly done in the mod community to improve the braking performance of the standard GTI brakes) it is classed as a modification and even though it will technically decrease the likelihood of a crash, it is classed as a performance modification and will increase the premiums.

Dash cams also have to be treated a bit like house alarms too... if you declare it, better make sure it is running all the time you are driving, always space on the card etc... with dash cams (and house alarms) it is best not to declare them, because in the event that you need to claim and it was not working (or not armed in the case of a house alarm) you will find yourself in a sticky situation.
I haven't heard of car insurance invalidating claims due to the absence of video evidence when the car was insured as having a dash cam declared, but I have heard instances where house insurance hasn't paid out because the occupants didn't use their declared house alarm (it was a monitored system which may have made a difference).

I realise I have taken a really ass about face way of explaining this, but Mods don't have to be "dangerous" to have an adverse effect on your vehicles insurance premium, also see LED bulbs (where not fitted as standard) is technically a modification which could affect premiums.
Very interesting- thank you! I suppose we all pay for it in the end as that is what insurance is about - spreading the risk.
So my understanding of this discussion is;
1. Could be handy to have an inexpensive dashcam fitted
2. Perhaps don’t declare it ( I guess they are usually fairly easy to remove)
3. Incident footage could be useful though not always favourable if you don’t have access to a family barrister:oops::LOL::unsure:

I use a 360 degree camera which "sees" out all the windows. It was useful when someone went into the back of me at a pedestrian crossing. It showed the view out of the windscreen and the back window which I sent to the insurers, and although the third party denied liability, the camera evidence showed they were. :)
(Also, I plug it into a battery pack when parked up and it acts like a sentry mode)
That sounds good were did you get it from and how much was it.

That sounds good were did you get it from and how much was it.
I got it off eBay for £25. I thought, for that price even if it doesn't work it was worth a try, and it's been brilliant. I've just had another look on eBay and the prices are mental.

www.ebay.co.uk

360° Recorder Camera 4K HD 1080P Ultra Wifi VR DVR Video Sports Action Dash Cam | eBay

Audio recorder: support. WIFI Module: RTL8189ETV (IEEE 802.11 /b/g/n 2.4GHz ). Led work light: support WIFI, Recording, Charging. Power saving function: Support. Operation System: Linux. Operation KEY: POWER (mode)/ UP / Down /shutter(OK).

www.ebay.co.uk

The same camera is £70.74!!!

I've got it mounted on an adjustable arm which gives a view out of every window and records the dash for speedo and indicators in case a thrid party tries to dispute liability.
20200905_172608.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've got a nextbase 522gw with rear window view module add on all powered from the USB. Nextbase say that it should be the cigarette lighter or hardwired but I've not had any problems.
Do you just use the cable provided by the Nextbase the one that connects to computer at home or did you buy anything yourself?

I've got a nextbase 522gw with rear window view module add on all powered from the USB. Nextbase say that it should be the cigarette lighter or hardwired but I've not had any problems.
I haven’t got my MG yet, but I disconnected my Nextbase dash cam (think it’s the 422gw with add-on rear view cam) from the hardwire lead, and connected it to the usb in my Peugeot, and it worked fine. Not much point in having a usb on the rear view mirror hub if it wouldn’t power a dash cam. I wonder why Nextbase are telling people it won’t work?

I too would like a dash cam. I asked my dealer about 18 months ago and was quoted £500. I thought that was rather steep so didn't proceed with it.
I have seen few videos if you don't intend to hot wire it installation is pretty straightforward. If you hotwire it I way quoted for £56 in Lincoln definitely not 500 kind of job

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom