Dead (12V battery) on arrival! less than auspicious start

Another favourite was putting random nuts and bolts loose in the bottom of the doors to cause rattles.
And factory workers ordering a new car, then stuffing the door panels with new spare parts, to be removed when they have the car delivered.
No factory mentioned here !.

Ha! That's a good one you'd have to be pretty certain of the exact car you were getting though... ;)
I have no idea how they follow the car through the assembly line, but somehow they are able to find the car !.
When I lived at home ( Mum & Dad’s ) the guy next door had a car that had been “followed “ through the finally assembly line.
I have never seen a better paint finish on a car that came straight off the assembly line.

I have the car for one year now and too got caught out on the 12v battery was too at 11.6v and wouldn't start. This I can only think of all the short journeys have been doing in the cold weather not giving it enough time to charge the battery. How have a spare leisure battery from a caravan jump leads onto the car battery and in very short time brought the battery up to 13volts. So now I carry the battery and leads in the car.

Worth getting a booster pack to keep in car. The size of a mobile phone so can sit in glove box or in rear nets.

Attachments

• 20210305_150801.jpg
    20210305_150801.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 143
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It’s a hangup from ICE that you have to drive the EV to charge the battery. When the HV battery is engaged ‘ready’ it charges the 12v battery - there’s no need to drive anywhere.
FYI Also when charging the car with the granny charger/public charger/home charger, the 12v battery is charged at the same time as the main HV battery.

I found it quite surprising how much power was being pulled from the 12V battery, when I looked at the data on the app.
I've not looked up how much power the battery actually stores.

Anyone know the rate at which it will recharge the 12V battery from the HV battery.
If it's not high enough or doesn't kick it at full rate etc until the battery is up to temp/lower load is being used to drive motor etc, then maybe it's not always charging it up quicker than it's being used.

Worth getting a booster pack to keep in car. The size of a mobile phone so can sit in glove box or in rear nets.
Just bought a NoCo GB70 Lithium ion for a booster - 2000A and the size of a housebrick, but I bought it because I have one of their maintenance chargers which kept my old ICE Toyota battery just perfect - just left it plugged in until I needed it. I love my #TeamRed ZS Exclusive but I do miss my old racing green (22 year old!) RAV 4 - never gave me any probs and was my first car...

As every post about the MGEV's 12 volt battery seems to be complaining about its loss of power (voltage), I thought that I would post my experience.
I bought my car at the beginning of February 2020 and because of Covid and lock downs it has only done just over 1000 miles. It stood in my garage for weeks at a time during last year but there was no problem in starting at any time. It received its first service at the beginning of February this year and again was returned to my garage. Four weeks later I decided to get the car out and again it started without a problem and with 14+ volts displayed.
The battery does not appear to lose power when standing for weeks at a time!

As every post about the MGEV's 12 volt battery seems to be complaining about its loss of power (voltage), I thought that I would post my experience.
I bought my car at the beginning of February 2020 and because of Covid and lock downs it has only done just over 1000 miles. It stood in my garage for weeks at a time during last year but there was no problem in starting at any time. It received its first service at the beginning of February this year and again was returned to my garage. Four weeks later I decided to get the car out and again it started without a problem and with 14+ volts displayed.
The battery does not appear to lose power when standing for weeks at a time!
I think the 14+ volt thing is the main battery charging the 12V. Just switch on the Accessory mode - start button turns yellow and the look at the ‘gauge’ - it should show just over the 12V mark. I’m going to putin one of those small 12V battery monitors to get a better view of what’s going on. See Mike’s Shed video on one he bought from Lidl - it’s really good and he shows you what activation states actually charge the battery.

My wife and I picked up our brand new MG ZS EV from the dealer last Wednesday (24th) lunch - oh happy day! A few afternoon errands, then my wife was driving out to a post-COVID dinner gathering when the computer spat the dummy, shouted a range of alarms and then shut down the car. She was fortunate the road was not to busy and she was able to pull off the road onto a relatively flat platform. But with no 12V battery she could not put the car in park nor activate the parking brake :mad: - fortunately a friend was able to come with a brick to stop the car rolling when she lifted her foot from the brake.

Then proceeded a rigmarole to call out roadside assistance to verify the 12V battery was completely flat, another wait for a tow back to the dealer, and calls and queries to figure out what is going on? There's clearly both a physical and a computer problem.

By Friday the dealer workshop determined that the 12V battery is dead, and MG tech support instructed ordering a new one, which might turn up tomorrow. Then we need to be convinced as to why the rate of discharge exceeded the 12V charging. Need to find a way to fall in love again (with the car :)).

MG are now saying there's a batch of faulty batteries - curious to know if anyone else has come across the like?

We're also new to electric parking brakes - interested to learn from others' experiences like this?
Had a duff 12v battery after 8 months - I was told leave the car on as the main battery will charge the 12v in a few mins !! MG replaced 12v foc !!

Had a duff 12v battery after 8 months - I was told leave the car on as the main battery will charge the 12v in a few mins !! MG replaced 12v foc !!
They've said there was a faulty batch of 12v batteries, must've been unlucky to get one of them.

They've said there was a faulty batch of 12v batteries, must've been unlucky to get one of them.
Strange problem as car failed and AA came out twice to get us moving giving a full report of 12v battery - copied to dealer who agreed MG to replace battery -AA callout was foc with the car !

Update: the dealer has reported the car drained a new 12V battery in less than 6 hours (between installing mid-morning and calling us before COB). So something drastic is draining the battery.
The latest is a suggestion that an MG directive not to install the January BMS update led to the computer draining the 12V battery. So the purported fix is to apply the latest BMS update. I'm not entirely sure how the existing BMS could be instructing the car to drain the 12V to death.

The latest is a suggestion that an MG directive not to install the January BMS update led to the computer draining the 12V battery. So the purported fix is to apply the latest BMS update. I'm not entirely sure how the existing BMS could be instructing the car to drain the 12V to death.
I agree - that doesn’t sound right -🤔we picked up ours at end of February and going by what I gather from this forum, it has the latest BMS update so I’m sure yours would have as well...
So, have they done the update? What’s taking so long???

I agree - that doesn’t sound right -🤔we picked up ours at end of February and going by what I gather from this forum, it has the latest BMS update so I’m sure yours would have as well...
So, have they done the update? What’s taking so long???
We have the car back :LOL:
The official version is "The [BMS] issue was causing many modules on the vehicle to stay awake rather than switching off. When these modules were staying awake it has caused a drain on the 12 V battery that has meant that the battery has lost charge very quickly." The fix was to install an early March BMS update.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom