Dead MG4 This Morning

ncdlloyd

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
We've had our MG4 for just over a week and it's been great so far. Unfortunately my wife came to drive it to work this morning and it was completely dead. It was also blocking in our other car on the drive... Luckily in this case we still had my wife's old car, so she's taken that to work.

The AA are here now and have confirmed a dead 12V battery. They've quickly got it going again and will see if they can find the cause of the drain.

Not a great start to week two with the car...

Not the first time that this has been reported.
Try and get the dealer to just change the battery or it will happen again.
Have you got a 12v battery charger you can keep handy?

We've had our MG4 for just over a week and it's been great so far. Unfortunately my wife came to drive it to work this morning and it was completely dead. It was also blocking in our other car on the drive... Luckily in this case we still had my wife's old car, so she's taken that to work.

The AA are here now and have confirmed a dead 12V battery. They've quickly got it going again and will see if they can find the cause of the drain.

Probably a good idea to get one of these and keep in the glove compartment, essential kit I think.

Probably a good idea to get one of these and keep in the glove compartment, essential kit I think.

Thanks Rob, looks like that will be handy to have.

Local MG dealership can't see it for a month, not impressed. The vehicle is through Octopus though and they say someone can see it early next week. Waiting for a date and where they want it to be taken...

Yeh I had the same thing happen to me but I was on a roundabout 😢

The dealership said it was due to an update…so far so good but I won’t lie, it’s made me feel abit nervous driving it around so I’m defiantly going to get one of those battery jump starters!

Yeh I had the same thing happen to me but I was on a roundabout 😢

The dealership said it was due to an update…so far so good but I won’t lie, it’s made me feel abit nervous driving it around so I’m defiantly going to get one of those battery jump starters!
Very concerning to hear. Not further incidents for us, it’s going into the dealer in a few weeks.

If it is any consolation, this has happened to my Wife’s Nero Hybrid and also my previous car (Toyota C-HR).

My Z3 battery, which was replaced 3 years ago) also died after a mere 1000 miles. No matter which car you choose, it seems sealed batteries are utter crap and seems to be one of our first world problems these days.

I got a battery booster power pack a few years ago, and it has got me out of trouble more often than not. It also has ports on it to charge up tech in the event of a power cut.

As my Granda used to say…..”nowt lasts these days“ 😁👍

Every EV owners best friend, bought mine before I took receipt of my ZS 👍

I had my car at the airport parking for a week and when I came to pick it up the car was dead. There is a small key in the remote key to open the car I found out when the rescue came. You have to remove the plastic cover on the door handle to use the key. After that experience, I bought a starter kit with a lithium battery. The dealer did not find anything wrong with the car/system. Later I experienced the parking light was on after I had locked the car and I had to unlock and start the car to fix it. So now I always check the car when I leave it for some days and the charging cable is not connected.

On the subject of airport parking. I just changed my plans to make use of airport parking rather than leave the car parked outside my friend's house for more than two weeks. I was concerned about possible vandalism/theft as the car is so new.

However, that now introduces this extra risk. We will be relying on my car to get back to her house from the airport. At one o'clock in the morning. I damn well hope the car isn't dead. Stuck at the airport with two sets of holiday luggage in the middle of the night is not my idea of fun. Not to mention that if I don't get the car out of the car park on time, penalties are payable.

Anyway, the question. If I check the car with the app just before getting on the plane, will I be able to tell that all is well? Or might the car have gone to sleep and not answer the app, even though there's nothing wrong?

OK, thanks. Fingers crossed. There's no doubt that a dead car outside my friend's house would be a lot easier to cope with than one in an airport car park, but dead cars can be revived. Vandalised or stolen cars can be more problematic.

I still have a lead-acid jump-start battery which I'm going to charge up and take with me. I got it in 2018 (to replace a corroded one) when I had to leave the Golf parked at Avonmouth docks for ten weeks, but in fact the Golf started without it. It's only been used a couple of times.

I've read that these lithium ones sometimes brick if they aren't used for a long time, and I'm hopeless at remembering to recharge things that are only sitting around "just in case".

Not sure about the bricking but I'll be using it as a power bank when camping to charge phones etc, also use it a couple of times a month to power my tyre inflator to do both cars so hopefully it'll see enough usage to prevent that

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back