Disabling Wireless Charging

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi,

I've noticed my iPhone is consistently overheating when plugged in to my MG4, as it seems to be wirelessly charging and this always makes the phone hot. My battery health isn't brilliant and I think getting the phone hot repeatedly is contributing to this.

So I am seeking ways to disable the wireless charging in the MG4 as iPhones do not have an on/off switch for this and nor does the MG4.

My current plan is tin foil under the phone pad (pop if off, install, replace, voila).

Edit: Possibly fuse F45 would do it but I don't know if this also controls other functionality.

I don't want to change my phone case and I still want to be able to use wireless NFC payments with the phone.

Any better suggestions?

Last edited:
If its plugged in then the Iphone doesn't use wireless charging.

• Your iPhone won't charge wirelessly when connected to USB. If your iPhone is connected to your computer with USB, or if it's connected to a USB power adapter, your iPhone will charge using the USB connection.

I use one of these keep it plugged into the car at all times and keep my phone in my pocket.
Wireless CarPlay - works pretty well and I’ll use it in future cars.

Amazon product ASIN B086V1WG9V
Doesn't help if you want to charge the phone, unless you carry a portable battery in your pocket as well

Doesn't help if you want to charge the phone, unless you carry a portable battery in your pocket as well
Correct, but means you can have CarPlay without faffing around with cables or charging it / leaving it on the pad if you don’t need to or want to.
I rarely need to charge my phone in the car so it’s a great solution.

How do you know ?
The car tells me that it is wirelessly charging.
The phone tells me that it is wirelessly charging.
The phone gets really hot (which it doesn't do when plugged in to charge normally).
The phone then tells me that wireless charging has been disabled because the phone is too hot.

Correct, but means you can have CarPlay without faffing around with cables or charging it / leaving it on the pad if you don’t need to or want to.
I rarely need to charge my phone in the car so it’s a great solution.
There's no faff involved in me plugging in the phone which I do anyway to use CarPlay. Just don't want wireless charging which is pointless for me as I always plug the phone in.

I could buy and install a wireless CarPlay solution but just stopping the wireless charging ought to be doable for free.

Your only real solutions are:

1. Disable the 12V supply to the wireless pad (the fuse you mention, but as you say that may have unintended consequences)
2. Add a "shield" between the charging pad and the shelf pad - not sure what other impact that may have. (Cause a short to the wireless pad?)
3. Add padding to the shelf pad so that the phone is too far away to pick up the wireless charging field

This I suppose is one of the benefits of the SE. :)

Your only real solutions are:

1. Disable the 12V supply to the wireless pad (the fuse you mention, but as you say that may have unintended consequences)
2. Add a "shield" between the charging pad and the shelf pad - not sure what other impact that may have. (Cause a short to the wireless pad?)
I can't believe it would create a short. A wireless charger cannot assume anything about what is placed on top of it and as I understand it the charging coil is only activated if it can detect a device to charge.
3. Add padding to the shelf pad so that the phone is too far away to pick up the wireless charging field

This I suppose is one of the benefits of the SE. :)
If only I'd bought an SE, my life would have been so much better.... wistful sigh 🙂

When I say short, I mean an effective short - i.e. try to draw higher power from the charging field. But as you say, the control electronics should account for that possibility anyway. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back