• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Disappointed after first test drive - please help

meetyg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just had my first test drive in the MG ZS EV.
One of the things I noticed immediately is that the front seats are pretty narrow, and also a bit short (not much support for my lower thighs).
After sitting in the driver's seat, it felt pretty cramped. I felt as if I'm sitting "on" the seat, and not "in" the seat...
That first (uncomfortable) experience pretty much made the rest of the drive kind of bland.

Well OK, I am a "wide" fellow, but not that much that I would feel uncomfortable in a super-mini (like the Peugeot 208 I drive daily, or the Corsa-e I tested just before the MG).

I tried lowering the seat a bit to see if it helps somehow, but it just made things worse.
The seats outer perimeter was poking into my thighs.

In short, I had expected a more roomy experience in the front seats (checked the passenger's seat too, same problem). It all felt a bit claustrophobic to me, especially for an SUV.

Anyone else got the same impressions, or have done something that improved the seating?

Discomfort is something I can't forgive the car for.
Other than that the car performed really nicely, it has a nice punch to the acceleration when you floor it. The suspension is on the soft side, but I didn't notice too much body roll during cornering. I know we have had some discussion here about the suspension.

BTW, the Corsa-e is a nice car too. Maybe soon I will post my impressions of the two cars, and why testing both of them just made it harder to decide which one to get (yes, even though they are in totally different segments, I'll explain when I get to writing that post).

Just one more thing I wanted to note: I was totally thrilled when I opened the boot of the ZS EV, and found a spare tyre kit under the floor. That when the sales rep. told me its included in the price!

Well, EVs here in Israel are very expensive anyways, but just for comparison, the Corsa-e and the Peugeot e208 (which I didn't test, just looked at in the showroom) which are more expensive than the ZS EV, don't come with a spare (and even don't have room to fit one under the boot floor).

I'm very surprised to hear that you think the interior of the cabin to be a bit claustrophobic on your test drive. I have owned mine since March 2020 and I can honestly say that I have never felt so comfortable in a car ever than I do in this one, I am a quite large 17 stone chap myself and have never had any problem. We had a holiday on the East Coast of Britain this year and we covered quite a few miles. I have never got out of a car feeling so pleased, relaxed and refreshed as I have done since I got the MG ZS EV. I'm only sorry that the MG ZS EV wasn't around years ago.

Last edited:
my ZS EV didn't come with a spare tyre, it just has a tyre repair kit under the boot floor where the spare tyre is supposed to be! the seats are great, in my opinion!

I am puzzled. Many reviews the I have seen and read all talk about comfortable seats, thats why I was really surprised to find them not comfortable enough for me.
Both in the showroom car and the test car I found them to be narrow and not supporting of the thighs. The bottom part of the seat seemed not deep enough.

Shocked by your comments about comfort and space in the driving seat, however that’s why it’s important to test drive and if you can’t get past that then the MG isn’t the car for you, did you try the MG 5 too?

Hi,
I just had my first test drive in the MG ZS EV.
One of the things I noticed immediately is that the front seats are pretty narrow, and also a bit short (not much support for my lower thighs).
After sitting in the driver's seat, it felt pretty cramped. I felt as if I'm sitting "on" the seat, and not "in" the seat...
That first (uncomfortable) experience pretty much made the rest of the drive kind of bland.

Well OK, I am a "wide" fellow, but not that much that I would feel uncomfortable in a super-mini (like the Peugeot 208 I drive daily, or the Corsa-e I tested just before the MG).

I tried lowering the seat a bit to see if it helps somehow, but it just made things worse.
The seats outer perimeter was poking into my thighs.

In short, I had expected a more roomy experience in the front seats (checked the passenger's seat too, same problem). It all felt a bit claustrophobic to me, especially for an SUV.

Anyone else got the same impressions, or have done something that improved the seating?

Discomfort is something I can't forgive the car for.
Other than that the car performed really nicely, it has a nice punch to the acceleration when you floor it. The suspension is on the soft side, but I didn't notice too much body roll during cornering. I know we have had some discussion here about the suspension.

BTW, the Corsa-e is a nice car too. Maybe soon I will post my impressions of the two cars, and why testing both of them just made it harder to decide which one to get (yes, even though they are in totally different segments, I'll explain when I get to writing that post).
It sounds like this car is not for you. we all have our own choices to make. I didn't like the Tesla but lots of people do. good luck with your choices

@meetyg

I too am surprised that you found the seats to be uncomfortable.

I am 6'2" and I had never even given the lack of depth in the chairs a thought. But now you have mentioned it, I considered it today, and I actually like the depth of chair, as I find it comfortable to do the old "wrap your left leg underneath" that you have to do with 2 pedal controls.

Yep, it sounds like the ZS EV may not be for you.

I find the seats very comfy but they do make my back sweat a little with being a plastic leather type material, i would love lumber support, a heated steering wheel and a dimming rear view mirror then it would be perfect... oh and tinted windows, then it would be perfect

I found the small lumbar cushion a bit intrusive at first but it has softened up now and the seat is very comfortable.
I find the seats in most new cars are a bit firm at first but they soon soften up with my 17 stone bouncing on them.

You are quite right about the seats. They are unusually narrow with particularly high bolsters. I personally find them perfect as an average width chap. My wife however... Has a somewhat fatter a**e (she never comes on here, so I'm safe!) By no means huge, but bigger than mine. She cant fit between the bolsters, so is less comfortable and the bolsters take a hammering. She's never had an issue before in other cars. I'd expect anyone over a size 14 to be less comfortable and\or cause premature bolster foam collape!

I agree with most of the other comments. I am also a largish chap. Never thought the seats uncomfortable. Yes they do relax after a few miles but if it feels wrong try something else. Have you tried the Kia Nero. Very good but more expensive and less goodies.

Shocked by your comments about comfort and space in the driving seat, however that’s why it’s important to test drive and if you can’t get past that then the MG isn’t the car for you, did you try the MG 5 too?
We don't have the MG5 here, and after talking to MG Israel's manager, they aren't going to bring it either. Estate cars aren't very popular here. SUVs are the ones most want.

I found the small lumbar cushion a bit intrusive at first but it has softened up now and the seat is very comfortable.
I find the seats in most new cars are a bit firm at first but they soon soften up with my 17 stone bouncing on them.
After checking my seating in my Peugeot 208, I noticed that the cushion in the seat also pressed against my thigh, but I never noticed it, because its softer than the MG's. I bought the 208 second hand with 14000 km on it, so maybe when it was new it was harder. The ZS Ev I drove had around 9500 km on it, so maybe the cushion is still hard.
I just discovered a group of local ZS EV owners here, so maybe I will get in touch with an owner close by to check it again (the dealer is some 150 km from me, so don't really feel like going there again just to check...)

@ meetyg
Hello, meetyg

I think I know the reason, MG ZS EV has 4 different grades with different prices. the lower two grades have a spare tyre, because it uses 205 tyres with 16" wheel hubs, the higher two grades use 215 tyres with 17" wheel hubs, the higher one with no spare tyre, just a repair kit. maybe SAIC thinks 215 wheel wit 17" wheel hub is too heavy to replace.

as i know ,in UK, SAIC only sells the higher two named exclusive and excite. But in israel, maybe they sell the two lower grades, so you can see a spare tyre.

in addition, the lower two grades' driver seat can't be adjust up and down, just forth and back, this may cause you can't adjust a comfortable positon for youself.

aother different thing is that the lower two grades don't have sunroofs and roof racks.

Last edited:
After checking my seating in my Peugeot 208, I noticed that the cushion in the seat also pressed against my thigh, but I never noticed it, because its softer than the MG's. I bought the 208 second hand with 14000 km on it, so maybe when it was new it was harder. The ZS Ev I drove had around 9500 km on it, so maybe the cushion is still hard.
I just discovered a group of local ZS EV owners here, so maybe I will get in touch with an owner close by to check it again (the dealer is some 150 km from me, so don't really feel like going there again just to check...)
I have noticed this phenomonen too, and I think its to do with the position of the pedels, they seem closer together than my last couple of two pedal cars (Soul, Leaf, e-Golf), I've noticed I have to make a concerted effort to have my right foot flat on the pedal. If I don't think about this, becuase of the bolster the foot seems to twist and be pointing around 2 o'clock against the pedals 12 o'clock position. The first weekend I had the car I drove up from the north of England to the Scottish borders and the next day I had something akin to RSI in my thigh.

@ meetyg
Hello, meetyg

I think I know the reason, MG ZS EV has 4 different grades with different prices. the lower two grades have a spare tyre, because it uses 205 tyres with 16" wheel hubs, the higher two grades use 215 tyres with 17" wheel hubs, the higher one with no spare tyre, just a repair kit. maybe SAIC thinks 215 wheel wit 17" wheel hub is too heavy to replace.

as i know ,in UK, SAIC only sells the higher two named exclusive and excite. But in israel, maybe they sell the two lower grades, so you can see a spare tyre.

in addition, the lower two grades' driver seat can't be adjust up and down, just forth and back, this may cause you can't adjust a comfortable positon for youself.

aother different thing is that the lower two grades don't have sunroofs and roof racks.
I test drove the higher Exclusive trim (its called differently here, but the spec is exactly the same).
I tried to adjust the electric seat, but it seems that the center console protrudes into the foot area of the driver. Also the seat tends to rub against it in certain placements of the seat.

The spare was with the Exclusive, thats why I was so surprised. But who knows, maybe they put the wrong one in there (from the ICE model)

Maybe dealer provide the spare tyre for the exclusive version by themself.

anyway, try to test more, you will like the EZS, it is really good, and I heard it has got a good sales volume in israel

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom