Do you think it's safe?

I also find that if I scan repeatedly within a few minutes the reported interior temperature often starts improbably high, then drops rapidly on subsequent scans.

Trying it now. The car has been in the garage, with no sun on it (the garage window faces north) since about 6.30 on Friday. I'm confident it must have equalised its temperature with the garage itself by now. First scan gives me 12 degrees outside, which I believe. It's dull, overcast and showery at the moment and the BBC app gives 13 degrees. It's entirely possible the garage, with no sun on it, is a degree or so colder than the outside air. Interior temperature of the car? 20 degrees. No way.

Refresh, after typing that. Exterior still 12 degrees, interior now 18 degrees. Still no way.

Another five minutes. 17 degrees.

Immediate refresh. 16 degrees.

Another couple of minutes. Be still my heart. 87 degrees!

Immediate refresh. 15 degrees. Bear in mind I am confident that the correct reading is 12 degrees.

And again. 14 degrees. This is about 17 minutes since the first reading of 20 degrees.

20 minutes in, 14 degrees again.

27 minutes in, seems to be stabilising at 14 degrees.

Half an hour, still 14 degrees.

So an apparent 6-degree drop in interior temperature from a frankly ridiculous 20 degrees to a somewhat more plausible 14 degrees over the span of about 17 minutes, then the reading stabilises. I still don't entirely believe it, because there is absolutely no reason at all for the interior of the car to be warmer than ambient right now, and ambient is quite clearly correct at 12 degrees.

Moral of the story. Don't believe the app when it tells you the interior temperatue, even if it isn't telling you it's 87 degrees.
Do you think they get their thermometer s from the Christmas cracker shop🤣🤣

I've just performed repeated scans over a 15 minute period on my Trophy which I picked up late April, it constantly reports an interior temp of 22 degrees, the car is garaged.
So, is this something that should be repaired / replaced on cars experiencing this issue ?

Do you think they get their thermometer s from the Christmas cracker shop🤣🤣

Seems like a reasonable explanation. I've moved the car out of the garage now because I'm taking it out later, and I want to give the interior temperaturea chance to benefit from some solar gain. But I'm not going to bother checking this with the app because frankly I do not believe a damn word of it.

I've just performed repeated scans over a 15 minute period on my Trophy which I picked up late April, it constantly reports an interior temp of 22 degrees, the car is garaged.
So, is this something that should be repaired / replaced on cars experiencing this issue ?

I have no idea. Do you think your Trophy is reporting the correct temperature? What does the app think the outside temperature is?

I am actually not that fussed about this. The external temperature measurement seems to be accurate enough, and I can probably take a good guess about the internal temperature from that. But if only SEs are doing the weird thing and Trophys aren't, it does suggest some sort of car-specific bug rather than a bug in the app.

Last edited:
It's reporting the outside temp at 21, I have a thermostat in my conservatory which is currently reporting 23, so as the car is garaged I guess that's about right. But i'll take the thermometer into the garage and check.

Last edited:
Okay, the thermometer reported 21 degrees outside the car (I placed it on the floor and lent it against the grill where I think the sensor is, also the garage door is by the front of the car). I also placed it in the car afterwards and it reported 22. So all seems good in my case.

Last edited:
I just checked mine again, now it's been in the open air for a bit. This time ambient is reported as 15 degrees, which is perfectly possible as the cloud isn't dense and it's not in shade, but interior is only 13 degrees. I don't think it's likely that the interior has gone down a degree after it was brought out into such rays as are getting through, while ambient has increased by three degrees!

As regards the interior temperature, I still do not believe one lying word of it.

ETA: next scan, external the same, internal now 14 degrees,.

Sigh. It's not worth the bother. But it's interesting that it isn't happening on your Trophy. Maybe some other SE and Trophy owners will stop by and tell us what theirs are doing.

That's not good, how would your HVAC system work correctly if it doesn't know the real temp. You would either have to over or under compensate when setting a temperature in the cabin. Sounds like something to raise with the dealer.

Anyway, been chatting with Bard Google's AI, it some opinions on how AI can improve EV cars. Only a few years to wait for the upgrade I suspect 🤖... Bard said:

"
Here are some of the ways that AI could be used in EVs:
  • Improved battery management: AI could be used to optimize battery charging and discharging, which could help to extend the battery life and improve the range of EVs.
  • Advanced driver assistance systems: AI could be used to develop advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) that can help to prevent accidents and improve safety. For example, AI could be used to develop self-driving cars that can navigate roads and avoid obstacles without human input.
  • Smart charging: AI could be used to develop smart charging systems that can coordinate charging times and locations to minimize the impact on the grid. This could help to make EVs more affordable and accessible to a wider range of people.
  • V2X communication: AI could be used to develop V2X communication systems that allow EVs to communicate with each other and with infrastructure. This could help to improve traffic flow and safety.
Overall, I believe that AI has the potential to revolutionize the EV industry. By improving the performance, safety, and efficiency of EVs, AI could help to make EVs more affordable, accessible, and popular."

Last edited:
That's not good, how would your HVAC system work correctly if it doesn't know the real temp. You would either have to over or under compensate when setting a temperature in the cabin. Sounds like something to raise with the dealer.

You do have to do that, but I think that's a separate issue to this drifting of the app-reported internal temperature.

Several people have reported that the temperature of the HVAC system has to be set about 5 degrees higher than you actually want it in order to get what you want. I can confirm this is the case with my car. I get the impression it's more common than not, but I don't know if it's confined to the SE. (I thought Trophys were affected too, but I could be wrong.)

Yes I have to set the AC temperature higher on my Trophy than the Focus I had before. I used to run the Focus at 19 degrees but on the MG it's 23 or 24.

Oh, you're hardy. I used to set my Golf at maybe 23, after blasting it into bearability at max for the first few miles. I'm setting the MG4 about 27.

However, I find the MG4's HVAC system to be pleasanter than the Golf's, in a way that's hard to define. It's gentle and unobtrusive both in heating and AC mode, rather than blowing air at you through its vents. It may be the position and shape of the vents that make it better. I like these vents.

And of course, no need to blast it at max for ten miles in the depths of winter just to get the car up to temperature, just give it ten minutes pre-heat on the app. What's not to like? (OK, I'd like the correct temperature to be shown, but that's a luxury!)

It could be part of the launch code protocols for the Chinese submarine fleet parked in the North and Irish seas, when all the MG4s in the country record the same seemingly spurious and unrelated info........duck!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back