Do you use AC in winter?

joojo

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
I've had my MG4 for 1 month and always had the AC on because otherwise it doesn't get warm in the car, it only blows cold air when the AC is off.
A friend of mine with a Tesla said he never needs to have the AC on in the winter because it blows out warm air with the AC off.
Then the car sounds very loud outside with the AC on.
Do you have the AC on during cold days or is there something wrong with my car?

AC is on always, all year round. In the winter it will prevent moisture build up inside your car. AC systems need to be used regularly or the system gradually loses pressure from leaking seals etc, I think I read somewhere that it is detrimental to the compressor to go long periods without using the AC.

Anyone with better knowledge of AC engineering please correct any of the above that is incorrect.

Unless the car has a reverse cycle A/C the air will always be cooled. I believe that the MG4 has a PTC heater which is more efficient than an electric resistive heater. This is used in conjunction with the A/C to reduce humidity and so keep the windscreen clear when the ambient temperature is low and relative humidity high.

Otherwise turn the temperature control up, fan on and the A/C off and you will get warm air.

Thanks for your replies, then it sounds like I have something wrong with my AC.
I tried now turning off the AC with the highest temperature and it became cold air in a minute or so.

Thanks for your replies, then it sounds like I have something wrong with my AC.
I tried now turning off the AC with the highest temperature and it became cold air in a minute or so.
I believe it's likely not a defect but rather a feature specific to your car model, which includes a heat pump.

Much of the information shared on this forum is based on the UK versions of the MG4, and unfortunately, none of them are equipped with a heat pump. However, for individuals in mainland EU, like myself in the Netherlands, the car often comes with a heat pump. As I understand it, in this configuration, the air conditioning system is responsible for heating. Consequently, turning off the AC (and consequently the heat pump) will result in the cessation of heating.

For what it's worth, I drive a similar version to yours and also have to enable AC to get any heat. It's how these versions with a heatpump work.

So why isn’t that mentioned in the frikin’ manual 🤔

Just maybe my AC isn’t as broken as I think it is…

It also possibly explains why the car won’t warm or cool when I don’t sit down in the car right after unlocking it. The heatpump remains off in that case until I completely reboot the car.

I believe it's likely not a defect but rather a feature specific to your car model, which includes a heat pump.

Much of the information shared on this forum is based on the UK versions of the MG4, and unfortunately, none of them are equipped with a heat pump. However, for individuals in mainland EU, like myself in the Netherlands, the car often comes with a heat pump. As I understand it, in this configuration, the air conditioning system is responsible for heating. Consequently, turning off the AC (and consequently the heat pump) will result in the cessation of heating.

For what it's worth, I drive a similar version to yours and also have to enable AC to get any heat. It's how these versions with a heatpump work.
Hmm i just read that, UK does not have a heat pump, didn't think of that.

The higher sound outside did become more quiet after i switched off Econ and Eco in the temperature/fan blower menu...

Question, not sure if it’s a bug on my end,

But if I have AC controls open in full, as soon as I raise temperature, the A/C button auto switches on.

I don’t why you’d want AC to auto turn on when you’re raising temperature?

Can anyone else try and see?

1). Turn on climate

2). Turn off AC and lower temp to lowest

3). Wait a few second and then try and raise temp

Is it normal behaviour?

I tend not to have the A/C on unless I want to cool the car, but this may be a wrong decision. However I am not experiencing undue fogging like this.

Question, not sure if it’s a bug on my end,

But if I have AC controls open in full, as soon as I raise temperature, the A/C button auto switches on.

I don’t why you’d want AC to auto turn on when you’re raising temperature?

Can anyone else try and see?

1). Turn on climate

2). Turn off AC and lower temp to lowest

3). Wait a few second and then try and raise temp

Is it normal behaviour?

I merged this post in from a separate new thread because it seems related to this issue, and it would be good to keep all the information and advice in the same place.

I don't have the AC on unless I need more cooling than the ambient air can provide (ha! not very often), or the car is steaming up (which again doesn't seem to happen too often).

Why burn those electrons cooling air only to warm it again if you don't need to? Plus having it on opens the front grill making the car less aerodynamic.

AC is on always, all year round. In the winter it will prevent moisture build up inside your car. AC systems need to be used regularly or the system gradually loses pressure from leaking seals etc, I think I read somewhere that it is detrimental to the compressor to go long periods without using the AC.

Anyone with better knowledge of AC engineering please correct any of the above that is incorrect.
I don't think you need to worry about seals in the case of A/C in EVs (or hybrids), as they are self-contained with internal electrically-powered compressors (like a domestic fridge) - unlike ICE cars, where compressors are driven mechanically via an external pulley driven by the engine.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back