Do you use AC in winter?

The refrigerant of an AC compressor in a car also acts as lubricant for the compressor seal, so if you don’t use it, the seal dried up and cracked, gas leaked out and you have a knacker compressor. So it’s recommended to at least use it once a week?
Although I must admit things might have been improved now, so it may not be as bad, tbh, my dad’s 14 year old Honda Jazz AC with only 20k miles on it still works a treat!

My AC is on everyday.

My A/C never comes on when I increase the fan speed, but then I never have the car on eco.

I had my Golf for nearly 14 years and I only used the A/C when I wanted to cool the car (although very occasionally it would turn the A/C on itself if I set something to max demist or something like that). The system was still functioning perfectly well when I got rid of the car. And this was in Scotland so it wasn't on an awful lot.

Definitely. Couldn't see anything with my dog in the back of the car if I didn't use it. Even with heated seats and steering wheel (standard range bonus equipment in colder countries) I need to use it just to keep windows clear.

The refrigerant of an AC compressor in a car also acts as lubricant for the compressor seal, so if you don’t use it, the seal dried up and cracked, gas leaked out and you have a knacker compressor. So it’s recommended to at least use it once a week?
Although I must admit things might have been improved now, so it may not be as bad, tbh, my dad’s 14 year old Honda Jazz AC with only 20k miles on it still works a treat!

My AC is on everyday.
There are no external seals to dry up on the compressor to leak out everything is self contained.

Yes the AC in ICE cars driven by a belt from the engine with a magnetic clutch that bangs it into action is pretty primitive compared to the sophisticated EV. Same with an electric house air conditioner. Everything is sealed and requires virtually no maintenance other than cleaning of filters.

It was mentioned in an RSymonds Youtube video review of the Trophy too. Go to 12'15" for his findings ... a very buggy Climate Control. Not sure what software version he was on though.

Tried it earlier today,

Makes no difference,

ECO on or off,

The second you raise or lower temperature,

AC turns on.

Annoying but I guess a software bug.
Just been looking for a thread that mentions this because its a pain! Mines the same tried different configurations, no difference. Its needed at times, just not all the time!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back