Does anyone have the indoor granny cable and use it outdoors?

My granny cable has 'indoor' as part of its model number and has a warning to only use in a dry ventilated place but it also mentions having an IP67 rating which seems contradictory. Is anyone else in the same situation?
I use mine outdoors, mine is IP66 rated, but I stick it under the car with a rigid cover to keep the rain off.
The IP67 rating seems incongruous for dry indoor use.
IP67Protected from total dust ingress.Protected from immersion between 15 centimetres and 1 metre in depth.

Attachments

• CEE BLUE TYPE 2 EV MOBILE CHARGER USER GUIDE.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 99
Use it all the time with my outside socket . Got a waterproof cover for connection fir the car and plug end had no problems with rain

I have bought a second one which is IP67 waterpoof and it is permanently attached to the front of the house plugged into an MK IP66 double socket.

TTLIFE EV Charger, 8M Portable Electric Car Charger Type 2 UK 3 Pin, 6/8/10/13A Adjustable, 3.3KW, IP67 Waterproof, Long EV Charging Cable with Display & Bag https://amzn.eu/d/6L0L4tK

My granny cable has 'indoor' as part of its model number and has a warning to only use in a dry ventilated place but it also mentions having an IP67 rating which seems contradictory. Is anyone else in the same situation?
IP67 should be fine. The sockets should be RCBO protected. I bought a 7.2kw adjustable charger from Vevor with a 32A CEE plug, (The blue type you get for caravans). I installed a CEE socket on the wall outside and gave it its own 40A RCBO on the MCB.

I used mine a few times. Had a fast charger installed yesterday, so probably never again unless it's the only option, like an Airbnb or motel

Used mine in the rain with a tough leads extension, worked well. The extension was a waterproof one with a circuit protector thing, (can't remember what they are called ).

We have an outside covered connector, checked out by electrician. Latest fuse box, never tripped it.
We have the same, an outside weatherproof socket installed by a quaified electrician at a cost of just £110 , and connected to trip switch, that has never been triggered, we have been using it regularly since getting the car 8 months ago, we have used it in the rain with no problems (so far)

Last edited:
I have just ordered one of these from B&Q. Only for occasional use. Says "suitable for electric vehicle charging" on socket.

One of my neighbour installed a thick cable outdoor socket to charge his London black cab. He used char.gy on our street for long time before the installation. I do not understand why he (a professional taxi driver) doesn't want a proper charger.

Last edited:
One of my neighbour installed a thick cable outdoor socket to charge his London black cab. He used char.gy on our street for long time before the installation. I do not understand why he (a professional taxi driver) doesn't want a proper charger.
The batteries aren't big in the black cabs, so perhaps he doesn't need one.

That's the TX model (23kW I think), there's also Nissans that are full EVs, Dynamo I think they are called with 45kW.
I bow to your knowledge. There was a tv documentary on them a couple of years ago, maybe. I had a black cab until about 2005, of course no ev's to my knowledge at that time and we were limited to two manufacturers, LTI and Metrocab. They opened up to other manufacturers after 2005 I believe. I see Peugeots, Mercs and others these days.

I bow to your knowledge. There was a tv documentary on them a couple of years ago, maybe. I had a black cab until about 2005, of course no ev's to my knowledge at that time and we were limited to two manufacturers, LTI and Metrocab. They opened up to other manufacturers after 2005 I believe. I see Peugeots, Mercs and others these days.
I am no expert.

I can’t tell the difference I just use the granny charger that came with the car with a couple of long 10m extension cables charging outside across a lawn of grass. I just put a bucket of the charger if it rains

Never ever any issue of it getting too hot or anything even when it’s been on charge for over ten hours at a time
TWO Extension leads, "oh the horror", careful you`ll get excommunicated 🤞

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel