Does the car ever stop charging at 100%?

GameZone

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I've noticed that the car pauses itself pretty fast at the 80% limit, but at 100% it just keeps "charging", even though it doesn't give more power.

It is probably balancing the battery, which is important to do, it will draw progressively less power and then shut off. If it hasn't been balanced in a while it could take quite a while, but normally this would be 20 minutes or less.

For the LR, they recommend a monthly balance (leave it charging to 100% until it stops).

It is probably balancing the battery, which is important to do, it will draw progressively less power and then shut off. If it hasn't been balanced in a while it could take quite a while, but normally this would be 20 minutes or less.

For the LR, they recommend a monthly balance (leave it charging to 100% until it stops).
I think I unplugged it after an hour of doing so

The amount of power being drawn whilst balancing is fairly low, so there's not really any point in stopping the balance charge. Even if you're charged 40p (50c) per kWh (due to a time of day tariff) and it takes a total of 3kWh (which I suspect is an over-estimate) to finish the balance, is £1.20 (€1.50) really a problem?

The amount of power being drawn whilst balancing is fairly low, so there's not really any point in stopping the balance charge. Even if you're charged 40p (50c) per kWh (due to a time of day tariff) and it takes a total of 3kWh (which I suspect is an over-estimate) to finish the balance, is £1.20 (€1.50) really a problem?
Nope, I'm just asking if it will ever stop.

And the answer to that is yes - if you give it enough time. :)

If it doesn't stop after a couple of hours of reaching 100% then it suggests that there is a problem.

Nope, I'm just asking if it will ever stop.
As others have said, it will stop eventually. I recently did mine, it carried on with the app showing charging for about 50 minutes after it reached 100% with the power staying around 1.9kW for about 20 minutes then slowly dropping to 90w and then the app showed finished. It was only my 2nd 100% charge in 6 months.

In another thread there was a German video showing that when the battery was balancing at 100% the words 'battery balancing' appeared on the charging screen when the battery reached 100%. (This was even when the car was receiving 4kW in the video.) I have found that this does not occur in my Trophy. The attached image shows my car at 100% and clearly balancing with <0.0kW but still showing Slow Charging.
IMG_20240107_104157970_HDR.jpg

Maybe presence (or otherwise) of the Balancing message depends on the Infotainment software version?

This is what the power consumption of our Essence 64 looks like during a top up charge to 80%. Power delivery is variable as I am using a wall charger which varies power based on available excess solar PV (water heater gets priority):

screen-shot-2023-12-06-at-11-24-22-am-png.22121

Note the low power draw right at the end after the main charge session was completed. This is a cell balancing period. Zooming in so the power level can be seen:

screen-shot-2023-12-06-at-11-29-12-am-png.22122

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel