Does the car keep a record of charging?

TodorRadnev

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Good evening, do you know if the latest MG5 making records of all of the charge and if yes is this information accessible.

Best regards Todor Radnev

No not in my experience and I have had a mk1 MG5 and now have the Trophy facelifted one and no they don’t I used to have a small note pad but don’t bother now.
One way you can keep some kind of record is buy making sure you use the same card every time you use a public charging point then you will have a card statement to look back at.
Les

Last edited:
It almost certainly does but the data isn't accessible for us mere mortals. But in a bunker in China......

I'd be surprised if the car didn't log this information but either way there is no user access to such logs.

It would be useful data to have when considering buying a used EV.
For example - I would think twice about a car that has been rapid charged most of the time over an extended period of time.
Data that I would suggest is useful ;
The % of rapid DC charging the vehicle has had over its life
The average state of charge over its life - indication of where the SOC was normally kept.
Any high or low SOC periods of more than 5 days - any high stress periods.
Obviously SOH data
Individual cell data.

What EVSE are they supplying?
You could just time the charge session and work out what the car is drawing in kW.

What EVSE are they supplying?
You could just time the charge session and work out what the car is drawing in kW.
I am planing tonuse the ismart app its giving me the charge power and the time of the charge so this will give me the total used Kw.

For example - I would think twice about a car that has been rapid charged most of the time over an extended period of time.
The average state of charge over its life - indication of where the SOC was normally kept.
Obviously SOH data
Individual cell data.
Not much then :D.

Do we/have we ever known much data about the history of use of a car beyond mileage and service history ?
Unless of course like me you only ever bought second hand cars from little old ladies who had it from new and never abused it at all.

Not much then :D.

Do we/have we ever known much data about the history of use of a car beyond mileage and service history ?
Unless of course like me you only ever bought second hand cars from little old ladies who had it from new and never abused it at all.
Abused it at all ,
Apart from hanging there handbags on the choke pull Lol.

No seriously last week I think it was and I think I posted it on here somewhere, there was a fully charged podcasts with bobby lew and Elliot Richards, where he Elliot said there where 5s being used in China used there everywhere as taxis, and some now having 250,000 miles on them, and have been rapid charged only all of there life and there batteries where in perfect condition.
I do believe if a manufacturer is to warranty a battery for 5-8 years as they do now, they must be pretty confident that’s what it will do without problems, as yet I have heard of none having to have a replacement battery other that some 11-12 year old Nissan leafs that had no cooling are decent battery management from the off and even they where still going with limited range.
Les

I think modern battery packs are pretty reliable. Especially with the improved heat management and BMS systems. It’s worth remembering that for most it won’t be a failure of the pack (thankfully) but a loss of range over time that they will notice.
Interesting points about taxis rapid charging - those taxis that need to do this regularly must be more expensive than diesels to run now.
I assumed that because of good urban range most electric taxis charged overnight and that was sufficient for a full days usage.

Obviously SOH data
Individual cell data.

The Leaf used to log Rapid/vs slow charges but you could only get at the data via the OBD port, I'm not sure if it's one of the PIDS on the MG5.

I know carscanner has some very off readings when I tried it with my MG5 LR, (Battery bus voltage and cell voltage difference seemed rather off) which makes me think they've got their PID mappings off

Yes - you can get the data on some models.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom