Does the granny have an RCD-DD?

djenson

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi there, soon to be receiving my car and am wondering if anyone knows if the included granny charger has an RCD-DD device built in. I intend to use this as the main charger, and would rather buy a Type-A RCD then the £££ Type-B RCD's.

If you are going to use the granny all the time then look into getting some PEN protection and probably an RCBO.
Have you had a new external socket fitted?

If you are going to use the granny all the time then look into getting some PEN protection and probably an RCBO.
Have you had a new external socket fitted?
My plan is

Install a auxilleraly consumer unit (only 1 space left on current one and no surge protection)

In the auxiliary consumer unit install:

-Surge protector
-Type A RCD if granny has RCD-DD, Type B if granny doesn't have RCD-DD
-16A MCB
then run 2.5mm2 to the outdoor socket.
Fused Switch intenaly to turn on and off the external socket (Is a 13Amp fused switch OK?)
All equipment from Schneider Electric
Use an extension from toughleads.co.uk to get the granny where i need it to be.

For parts its looking like £200, interested to get a quote from a electrician for install.

Pen protection would be nice, but just had the power distribution company install a new underground powerline to my house (80 amp fuse) and checked all of the bonded earth eta. For the money, i'm more inclined to just give the damn external socket a ground rod instead of spending £££ on some device to just detect a fault.

If you're going to the bother of fitting an extra consumer unit and rcd/mcb why not fit a dumb charger as well, get the benefit of 7kw charging?

3 reasons:

Thats £400 more for the charger (a bad one at that), that I can't use even because the PHEV only charges at 3.6 Max anyway.

£200 vs £600. Which looks more appealing to you keeping in mind that functionality is the same because of the KW limitations.

That charger is going to need to be moved by an electrician if i move, a bit more complicated that just unplugging it.

Even with a 10 metre type 2 lead, that charger aint gonna easily reach where i need it too (not to mention the additional cost of a 10 metre type 2 lead).

In that case yeah a granny charger will do you fine. You can always upgrade later if you want to.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom