Door dings from careless door opener people?

MG Fred

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Curious as to whether the large lower plastic sill on the MG4 prevents you getting door dents / dings from those people in car parks that selfishly open their car door against yours when getting it and out. It is a good advantage and good design if it does, as those door dingers drive me mad! And cost hundreds in trade in value. I’ve caught a couple of people doing it and they get all arsey and defensive saying the parking space isn’t wide enough, as if that is an excuse, even though they are not.

I know what you mean, I parked in an empty car park with a BMW once and when I came back, there was a Land Rover parked next to me (rest of the car park still empty) and some lady opened her door banging into mine, didn't seem to care. Choice words then exchanged, with details, and CCTV footage. Completely arrogant idiot in my view.

The MG door dips inwards lower down where the plastic is, so won't provide much protection against these types of people due to varying door heights and shapes. But, if you open the MG door inside a garage for example, the plastic at the very foot of the door is the first to contact the wall, so some protection there.

Thanks, some protection then, better than some. Similar experience with the sort of people that do this sort of thing then. Too many selfish idiots around. I’ve added stick on rubber/plastic strips on my other car to help but don’t think that would look any good on the MG4! ( ). Also added rock slider bars to dent their door more than mine if they do it! Sadly also not one for the MG! ( )

The best offering to avoid this type of behaviour, is to buy a cactus !.
It has rubber floor mats glued to the the door panels in order to avoid paying out for the PDR guy !.
The car is butt ugly but never mind 🤣.

IMG_0380.jpeg

It has rubber floor mats glued to the the door panels in order to avoid paying out for the PDR guy !.

View attachment 19159

Ah, the car with the airbeds on the side.
I’m sure Ford have a car with door protectors that pop out when you open the door.

The large plastic bits on the side of the MG4 might work in terms of protection, but I wonder how long it will be before they start to fade and need some sort of ‘back to black’ treatment.

My Peugeot had a neat bit of trim that protected the doors both from bashing anything if you opened them carelessly, and from being bashed by other doors. I tried putting protective strips on the Golf's doors, but they fell off.

The Peugeot design was good and I really missed it. I don't know why more manufacturers don't incorporate something similar.

I had some t**t put a dent in the coach line of the first brand new car I'd had for over 30 years two weeks after purchasing . You can imagine the expletives involved- not that the culprit was found of course. Now today some careless Pratt has put blue paint on the rear door handle of our 7 month old white vehicle. I wonder if we all toted firearms and per USA people would take more care?🤔

When I had my Tesla last year, I always checked my sentry mode events every day, and there was once I saw this dxxkhead opened its door smacked straight into my Tesla, the car was still parked next to mine, so I checked for damages straight away, but couldn’t find any damage(it was night time in a works car park), thought I had a lucky escape! Only a few days later when I wash my car. I realised there was a dink right on the rear wheel arch crease line, exactly where the door had smacked into, tried to look for footage but instead of saving the footage, I somehow deleted it instead! 🤦‍♀️
It was annoying, once you see that dink, you could never un see it no matter how small!!

A useful tip to all, NEVER NEVER park your car next to another car with a child seat in it!!
The mother will almost always opens its door at widest possible angle to put a child in it, which means your door is going to suffer!

I've parked with a clear space either side and STILL some .....body will park along side when other spaces are available. Still, when I get my Bazooka back from it's annual service.......

View attachment 19159
It would look better with dinged doors. :LOL:

I always try to park on the end of a row if there's a space, that lessens the chance of a door ding by 50% at least.

I had some t**t put a dent in the coach line of the first brand new car I'd had for over 30 years two weeks after purchasing . You can imagine the expletives involved- not that the culprit was found of course. Now today some careless Pratt has put blue paint on the rear door handle of our 7 month old white vehicle. I wonder if we all toted firearms and per USA people would take more care?🤔

But you didn’t catch either person who did the damage…
So you’d…..shoot….random….people…..? 🤔

It would look better with dinged doors. :LOL:
It could not look any worse, that’s for sure !.
I mean come on ….. why would you design a car that had them butt ugly patches covering up the body panels ?.
I guess they could be useful if you were parking in horrible multi story car park every day.
They say that “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder” 🤔.

Every time 😂😂

No, actually I would be standing by the vehicle, or better still if I was rich enough I'd have a 'body'guard😂😂😂😂

View attachment 19159
floormats, hmm ?, how about memory foam mattresses? :unsure:

Every time 😂😂

No, actually I would be standing by the vehicle, or better still if I was rich enough I'd have a 'body'guard😂😂😂😂
l think "hitman" was the term you meant

I've parked with a clear space either side and STILL some .....body will park along side when other spaces are available. Still, when I get my Bazooka back from it's annual service.......
my son {a worrier :eek:} used to park at the far end of the carparks. then one day came back to find a line of shopping trolleys imbedded in the side of car {slightly downhill} :oops:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back