Double locking the car? 71 plate

NeilC

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all, Does anyone know if double locking the car activates the deadlock and switches off the key signal?

I saw something on moanbook that suggested some cars may be able to do this.

I'm guessing with the lack of technology in the ZS this doesn't happen.

Hi all, Does anyone know if double locking the car activates the deadlock and switches off the key signal?

I saw something on moanbook that suggested some cars may be able to do this.

I'm guessing with the lack of technology in the ZS this doesn't happen.
The ZS double locks and deadlocks the car automatically when you lock it, there is no facility to turn off the key signal AFAIK.

do i need to get a signal jamming box for the key for this car?? not saying i live in a dodgy area but need to think about it.

do i need to get a signal jamming box for the key for this car?? not saying i live in a dodgy area but need to think about it.
I think it’s a good idea - they aren’t too expensive, but I have heard that even putting the keys in the fridge can help to block the signal. Or maybe any metal box?

I think it’s a good idea - they aren’t too expensive, but I have heard that even putting the keys in the fridge can help to block the signal. Or maybe any metal box?
You can even wrap it in aluminium foil if you want a cheap and easy alternative.

What does a double press on the key fob do?
On the door button it locks it then unlocks it on mine.
I never use the key fob to lock or unlock the car TBH, I just use keyless entry, key in pocket, press the door button.
Edit: just tried the fob and one press double locks it, further presses just flash the indicators twice.

Last edited:
I use an old cash box and we keep all keys and bank cards in it. I’m not telling you where I keep the box😉

I think in a lot of situations, some people tend to use their hall table or hall windowsill, or even the staircase, as the place to leave the car keys !!.
You know who you are 🤣.
Handy for the owner, but handy for the pond life also !!.
The closer the key is in range to the car, the more vulnerable it is.
I have trained myself over many years, to never to put down my car keys ( either at home or at another place ) within close range to either the car or entrance / exit doors, if I can help it.
At home they have a dedicated cereal spot, which also helps running around like a fool trying to find them each and every day.
The spares keys are kept in a metal box and it would be some super duper scanner that could penetrate thorough six brick walls in a 360 degree radius.
I feel I have made the enough necessary measures to protect the cars from grabbers.
It’s a ZS EV not a Hyper Sports Car after all !.

Always test your Faraday solution by taking your protected key to the car - in the tin/wrapped in foil/in a pouch etc., then try opening the boot or using the button on the door handle. If it doesn’t work, then all good. If the door still opens, then use another method to block the signal.
This is also good for testing the integrity of pouches, as over time, the protective inner layer can fail and bleed signal from the fob. I use a pouch and when I exit the car, lock it then drop the fob into the pouch and test the door/boot. If they stay locked then I can sleep well…

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom