Driving through France to Provence

But will the ticket actually be sent to the UK ?

For a long time, if "we" were flashed in Germany, we would never get the fine as the german police had no way of looking up who the owner of our, to them foreign, vehicle belonged to.

Now, the German police sadly started sending those tickets to the Danish police that will then send them to the owner, so no more speeding in Germany.
They have the way now. Since about 4 yrs ago all the registration systems of the various EU countries were linked up, except for the UK.

Thanks for reminding us all about the Crit'Air; just navigated the Fr.gov site with the V5C in one hand struggling to match the boxes to complete online (Fr no translation though it points to the numbering on the V5) with my car. Most troublesome was the "Euro Norme" - looks like EVs don't have one. But they accepted the € so looks like I won. I've a ChargeMap card like you but for Belgium I am still waiting (5 weeks now) for Blue Corner card.

Hi cog, you're absolutely right that only a small number of French cities are actively following the crit'air pollution indicators up to now, but many more towns and smaller cities have declared that they will.

Hi all just for general inf: when applying for a Crit'air certificate you will be asked what energy propels your vehicle eg. petrol, diesel or electricity. If yours is full electric you will be supplied with a green sticker which is specifically and only for full electric vehicles.

Just to say that Crit'air is only for certain big cities. As a French resident , I haven't needed one so far!
We plan to be in Paris Rouen Orlean Dijon Lyon Moulins so thought it was worth getting.

Saving this thread - Me and a friend are planning to go in September to see some WW2 sites around normandy.

We're still in the planning stages so considering how best to go via dieppe or calais and drive down.

Never heard of those stickers and will be applying for one as well as the chargecard.

Does anyone know if the speed camera database is automatically disabled when driving in France when using Apple maps?

it has been illegal to use speed detectors there for years and you can be fined €1500 euros and have the device or car confiscated

Saving this thread - Me and a friend are planning to go in September to see some WW2 sites around normandy.

We're still in the planning stages so considering how best to go via dieppe or calais and drive down.

Never heard of those stickers and will be applying for one as well as the chargecard.
Hi Smoked, I'm not sure if it remains the same, but the crossing Newhaven - Dieppe always used to be by far the cheapest way to cross the channel, plus if you are doing Normandy and all it's history Dieppe is a great starting point.

Does anyone know if the speed camera database is automatically disabled when driving in France when using Apple maps?

it has been illegal to use speed detectors there for years and you can be fined €1500 euros and have the device or car confiscated
Speed camera detectors are a different thing to a satnav database.

Hi Smoked, I'm not sure if it remains the same, but the crossing Newhaven - Dieppe always used to be by far the cheapest way to cross the channel, plus if you are doing Normandy and all it's history Dieppe is a great starting point.
I've done dover calais before but first time i heard of newhaven and dieppe was last night. I was looking at google maps and saw a line going from dieppe and it was to newhaven - found the prices for the ferry and its cheaper than calais despite being longer.

it makes it ideal for the whole normandy region. we're looking at some airbnb's around that area - what i hate about the site right now is i put in EV charger as a requirement in the house yet none of the houses shown have an ev charger on the house - i fear its one of those we have one nearby so we'll say thats part of the house lol.

I've done dover calais before but first time i heard of newhaven and dieppe was last night. I was looking at google maps and saw a line going from dieppe and it was to newhaven - found the prices for the ferry and its cheaper than calais despite being longer.

it makes it ideal for the whole normandy region. we're looking at some airbnb's around that area - what i hate about the site right now is i put in EV charger as a requirement in the house yet none of the houses shown have an ev charger on the house - i fear its one of those we have one nearby so we'll say thats part of the house lol.
Couldn't you just charge overnight from one of the normal house sockets, threading an extension cable through a window ?

If you do this, you'll need a UK to french socket converter.

Couldn't you just charge overnight from one of the normal house sockets, threading an extension cable through a window ?

If you do this, you'll need a UK to french socket converter.
oh yeah you could absolutely - but the option comes up with airbnb - and you would think that if a house is saying they have an EV charger then its a proper one not a plug socket.

oh yeah you could absolutely - but the option comes up with airbnb - and you would think that if a house is saying they have an EV charger then its a proper one not a plug socket.
I must admit that I would be more concerned about the comfort and other features of the accom, personally.
Plus if you relax your needs a bit, you have a wider scope of properties and locations to look at ?

Hey
My mum lives in Dieppe and we do that ferry run a lot. It’s a lovely small ferry great for getting to Normandy. I hate Calais and never go via it anymore.

I am still waiting for my ZS to arrive but I have checked and there are a few chargers in Dieppe.
Dieppe is also worth a day lovely restaurants and fresh caught sea food.

Hope this helps.

Hey
My mum lives in Dieppe and we do that ferry run a lot. It’s a lovely small ferry great for getting to Normandy. I hate Calais and never go via it anymore.

I am still waiting for my ZS to arrive but I have checked and there are a few chargers in Dieppe.
Dieppe is also worth a day lovely restaurants and fresh caught sea food.

Hope this helps.
I've used that route too, more time to relax due to longer journey compared to Calais

ok so i think i've finalised the plan for mine.

leave around 11pm to drive down to the Euro Tunnel port. going to make it there around 2 hours before departure - they have 50kw chargers there free of charge so i can have a decent boost there - they have the same on the french side. then a 5 hour drive down to bayeux spread with some charging. the hotel has a free charge point so thats a bonus that i can leave it charging overnight. there's a 50kw charger in town i could use if need be.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom