Driving ZSEV LR in Europe. A bad idea? Advice please!

MWS

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Dear All,

Just thinking about using my ZSEV LR to drive to the ski slopes next February. A Better Route Planner says it should be doable - and all the big tesla hubs are available for everyone to use.

Does anyone have any experience of driving long distance in Europe/Alps in their MG? Is this a crazy thing to do with family?

Thanks for your advice everyone!

M

I'm driving to the Dordogne next month in an SR, so don't make it sound so dramatic 😅
Thanks, wasn’t entirely sure if I was the only person thinking about this. Have a flair for the dramatic 😂. Glad that you don’t think it’s insane - just don’t want to get stranded is all. Do please let me know how you get on. You planning on using the Tesla network, or Ionity, or something else? Thanks so much in advance!

With the Ionity chargers available in most places I think your trip is doable and that is before Chargemap and ABRP are brought into play.

Thanks, wasn’t entirely sure if I was the only person thinking about this. Have a flair for the dramatic 😂. Glad that you don’t think it’s insane - just don’t want to get stranded is all. Do please let me know how you get on. You planning on using the Tesla network, or Ionity, or something else? Thanks so much in advance!
Yes, Tesla and whatever I can get to work really. A Better Route Planner is the route planner I’ll be using.

I have the Octopus Juice card plus a backup card for a regional provider in the Aquitaine region.

European breakdown cover is the back up :)

Plugshare is good as a second opinion on availability of chargers, and you can check on people's recent reports on how they are working. Get RFID cards where possible for the likely charger companies along your route. Just make a plan, with contingencies, and you'll be able to sleep at night. ;)

If you drive through Germany. don't bank on using Tesla chargers, there are only a handful that accept non-Tesla vehicles. Get a Shell Recharge card if you don`t already have one. You can charge with it at almost all charge point operators throughout Europe.
See here for Shell Recharge coverage in Europe:-

If you drive through Germany. don't bank on using Tesla chargers, there are only a handful that accept non-Tesla vehicles. Get a Shell Recharge card if you don`t already have one. You can charge with it at almost all charge point operators throughout Europe.
See here for Shell Recharge coverage in Europe:-
This is super helpful. Thanks - love this forum. M

Have a look at this thread in the general discussion forum.

I'm planning on driving to Southern Italy in September / October and return home before I need winter tyres. Tesla or Ionity membership should make it not too expensive.

I did the journey this year. We travelled over night and took out an Elli subscription to make ionity much cheaper. Tesla chargers don't work for our car so have a plan b! Here's my post on it if you want more info:

LinkedIn post
Thanks Danny, this is exactly what I was looking for. Really good read. To pay it back to you, I’ve discovered how to get the superchargers to work on my ZS. Worked with Chorley on this. several systems will need updating, but after this the tesla system will be accessible, can be done at the same time as a service and the updates are free! Pick the right dealer though - not all are so au fait with updating the car. I used MG Chorley Burnley. Miles covered the modules that need updating on a recent podcast. Thread discussing this is here. Hope this helps. (On a monthly subscription of £10, the price of tesla charges can drop to around 44p/kWh (though not as cheap as Elli it seems), though it’s time/site dependent). M

Post in thread 'Open Tesla Supercharge Issues'
Open Tesla Supercharge Issues

Last edited:
I did the journey this year. We travelled over night and took out an Elli subscription to make ionity much cheaper. Tesla chargers don't work for our car so have a plan b! Here's my post on it if you want more info:

LinkedIn post
Do you not have the dealer applied updates done on your car?
Mine was fully updated in December and the couple of Tesla sites I've used are fine....

No, I picked up the car in early December so will get the updates booked in on the next service. But really good to hear, the Tesla charging stations in France are huge and generally open to non Tesla's.

Dear All,

Just thinking about using my ZSEV LR to drive to the ski slopes next February. A Better Route Planner says it should be doable - and all the big tesla hubs are available for everyone to use.

Does anyone have any experience of driving long distance in Europe/Alps in their MG? Is this a crazy thing to do with family?

M
I'm in Belgium now, I did a tour of the Netherlands first, heading on to Germany next in my MG ZS EV. I'll then probably go to France for the Rugby World Cup. I've been using Fastned for the majority of my charging. There are multiple super fast charging stations on most major roads and the App is quite good.

Went skiing this year in mk1 ZSEV. The French charging points are great, plentiful on all the main routes. Just be aware that your range WILL be lower and charge time WILL be longer in the cold.

Dear All,

M
Just come back from driving my ZS EV LR to Charante Maratime near La Rochelle. No problems at all using CCS chargers on motorway services. I used Chargemap card.

Went skiing this year in mk1 ZSEV. The French charging points are great, plentiful on all the main routes. Just be aware that your range WILL be lower and charge time WILL be longer in the cold.
Thanks for this, really good points. Will tinker with the ‘preheat battery’ function 10 mins or so before charging stop to see if this makes any difference!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom