Emergency braking on level crossing with no nearby cars

Hi Folks,
Does anyone know if the car saves a record of automatic braking emergency activation that can be downloaded by a dealer to be used as proof for example in court. The ramifications of the event day before yesterday have obviously got me more perturbed than I would have liked to admit.

I think anyone saying yes or no here would be guessing.
Tesla were able to under duress. but their software is different level to MG and others.
I’m guessing they make sure they record events to cover themselves in auto driving scenarios.
Not something MG need to do as they don’t offer auto driving.

Last edited:
I think anyone saying yes or no here would be guessing.
Tesla were able to under duress. but their software is different level to MG and others.
I’m guessing they make sure they record events to cover themselves in auto driving scenarios.
Not something MG need to do as they don’t offer auto driving.
Thanks, all i was thinking of was a simple 1 line of date and time of activation.

You’ve made a good point, about the ‘cash for crash’ thing.
I still don’t fully accept its ‘always’ the fault of the driver behind in a rear end crash, otherwise ‘whiplash’ con merchants would always win…which we know they don’t, their cases do get thrown out and they do get done for manufacturing crashes.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if they had rear ended you and had a camera showing ‘you’ did a full blown emergency stop for absolutely nothing.
Hi, sorry for late response, have just been asked by dealers to bring car in so MG can ascertain what version of software I have on car. Car was in only last week getting other things checked. Its fair however to say that its nigh on impossible to find a fault that is not present.

I had two instances last three days. Today one was turning right on traffic light where turn right only for both side, the opposite car is quite far away but AEB kicked in. Luckily no car behind. I guess that one of reasons might be the recent software upgrade to R16, it is more sensitive. I never had AEB kicked in since owning the car until the recent software upgrade.
I set the sensitivity to low and reduce the distance (from three green bar to one). Hope it won't kick in when isn't required.

I had two instances last three days. Today one was turning right on traffic light where turn right only for both side, the opposite car is quite far away but AEB kicked in. Luckily no car behind. I guess that one of reasons might be the recent software upgrade to R16, it is more sensitive. I never had AEB kicked in since owning the car until the recent software upgrade.
I set the sensitivity to low and reduce the distance (from three green bar to one). Hope it won't kick in when isn't required.

Two in three days…?
That’s just silly levels of intervention, it would drive me bonkers.

Yeah, shots.
The first one was in very slow speed. I was giving way to the on coming traffic, I moved little right when the last car past in less than 5mph, it kicked in. My kids were in the car as well.

R16 refers to the infotainment version. It won’t be that. Another module may have been updated, but it won’t be R16

Yeah, shots.
The first one was in very slow speed. I was giving way to the on coming traffic, I moved little right when the last car past in less than 5mph, it kicked in. My kids were in the car as well.
I've had that happen. I now give the oncoming car car another split second to totally clear before moving.

Yeah, shots.

I can honestly think of two occasions emergency braking has fully triggered for me in years.
One, our polo was going through an exceptionally narrow archway into a courtyard car park, it slammed the brakes on.
Two, in my leaf 40 I was going down the clear left lane at some lights with an artic in the right lane, it slammed the brakes on halfway down the length of the lorry.
That’s it, that’s the extent of full activation in years.
As a driver nothing makes me angrier than cars doing unexpected stuff, driving is bad enough without the car imagining crap.

I've had that happen. I now give the oncoming car car another split second to totally clear before moving.
When negotiating parked cars, you can sometimes see when it's going to do it on the driver's display, it will show a car as being in your lane and if you don't turn the wheel it applies the brakes.

Hi folks after my incident earlier with emergency braking MG took car in to ascertain what software I was running and did some updates, I was also informed by MG service engineer that the system doesnt log (even simple alpha numeric) any time that the emergency brake has activated. This would have had quite severe implications in my case if the car behind had rear ended me. Putting myself in the following car owners shoes I would have sworn it was a crash for cash and would have proceeded accordingly.

At least you had a Tesla behind you, so you weren't going to be rear-ended. I'm trying to find the link to the video right now!

Sorry, my mistake, mixing you up with @Deakin, who just reported the same problem.

Last edited:
I’m experiencing consistent AEB on the junction before my house, which is really annoying as well as being a potential crash hazard, i.e. risk of being rear-ended. I also have aggressive Lane Keep Assist, particularly on country roads. I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has had their cameras recalibrated as some contributors to this thread have suggested. Specifically did you get a diagnosed mis-calibration prior to the recalibration and did the inappropriate AEB and overly aggressive LKA stop after the recalibration? For a bit of context on my consistent AEB issue it’s an interesting case because the junction may be the problem (see pic). It’s at a point where you turn right off the A65 (Kirkstall Road) in Leeds and the road markings show a right turning ‘lane’ which is only half a lane wide. If there’s a car coming towards you the AEB activates as soon as you move into the right turn lane. Arguably the AEB is acting appropriately and it’s the road markings that are wrong. But the net result is I can’t use this junction confidently without turning off AEB as it is only a matter of time before I’m rear ended.

Attachments

• IMG_0666.jpeg
    IMG_0666.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 59

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member