Emergency braking on level crossing with no nearby cars

v39

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Today our MG4 automatically braked on a level crossing with no other vehicles in sight. I was within in the barriers and the car wouldn’t move for what seemed like ages. I have never been so frightened in my life and my heart was pumping. I was debating whether to just run and leave the car on the crossing when it restarted. My afternoon was totally ruined as
I have been so stressed and very tearful. Looking back, a few months ago, the exact same thing happened in the exact same place and at the time I thought that maybe I‘d mistakenly braked. So be warned on railway crossing that it may happen. Very scary.

Previous to owning the MG4, we had a MG5, we had no problems with the 5, I did 9500 miles in 13 months. The MG4 we have had for nearly 7 months, only done just over 2000 miles as it’s just been one software problem after another and I was already nervous about using it because of the previous issues posted on this forum. As we have another car (diesel Audi) I’ve usually opted to drive that if there’s any possibility of an ‘out of the ordinary‘ situation, even such events as coming home in the dark or bad weather. The MG4 is the only car I ever owned where a tool to break the windows is kept in the glove box permanently.

I’ve totally lost confidence in the car now after this afternoon. A big regret for ever changing from the MG5.

The dealer is looking at the car next week, although initially the earliest date was July!

I live near a railway crossing and this is my route on 95%+ of my journeys. I no longer want the car and in fact, I have absolutely no intention of driving it again. It’s downright dangerous. Please be careful.

Today our MG4 automatically braked on a level crossing with no other vehicles in sight. I was within in the barriers and the car wouldn’t move for what seemed like ages. I have never been so frightened in my life and my heart was pumping. I was debating whether to just run and leave the car on the crossing when it restarted. My afternoon was totally ruined as
I have been so stressed and very tearful. Looking back, a few months ago, the exact same thing happened in the exact same place and at the time I thought that maybe I‘d mistakenly braked. So be warned on railway crossing that it may happen. Very scary.

Previous to owning the MG4, we had a MG5, we had no problems with the 5, I did 9500 miles in 13 months. The MG4 we have had for nearly 7 months, only done just over 2000 miles as it’s just been one software problem after another and I was already nervous about using it because of the previous issues posted on this forum. As we have another car (diesel Audi) I’ve usually opted to drive that if there’s any possibility of an ‘out of the ordinary‘ situation, even such events as coming home in the dark or bad weather. The MG4 is the only car I ever owned where a tool to break the windows is kept in the glove box permanently.

I’ve totally lost confidence in the car now after this afternoon. A big regret for ever changing from the MG5.

The dealer is looking at the car next week, although initially the earliest date was July!

I live near a railway crossing and this is my route on 95%+ of my journeys. I no longer want the car and in fact, I have absolutely no intention of driving it again. It’s downright dangerous. Please be careful.
It sounds like you had a shock. Can you describe what happened in a bit more detail? For example did the car brake unexpectedly to a standstill, with no driver input, in the middle of the crossing and would not go again? If a car emergency brakes for you, the driver should be able to override this by using the accelerator. Do you think that something on the crossing has triggered the emergency braking?

Yes it braked unexpectedly to a standstill and did not respond to any controls (throttle doe not override the braking) car need time to reset!
Luckily no cars on level crossing and no trains coming.
There was no reason for it to happen.

According to the manual pressing the throttle overrides the emergency brake.

You are being over dramatic

When this happened to me I planted the accelerator straight away but it refused to override it or move for what felt like ages. I think I even put it in park and drive again as I thought it had stopped responding.

Rather than being so dismissive, probe further.

When this happened to me I planted the accelerator straight away but it refused to override it or move for what felt like ages. I think I even put it in park and drive again as I thought it had stopped responding.
Thanks for helping support the OP with evidence of occurrence to you Mo.

Well that will be that then, the member is being dramatic.
Every time an owner posts something negative you come back and say your cars fine etc and totally down play their situation.
The braking is a known fault and they obviously got a fright but hey they are being dramatic

I have just rejoined the forum to post this. I rejected my car earlier in the year, but I am still getting updates via txt about it. The latest today told me that my brake system had triggered an alarm.

Probably not related to the issue in the first post, but who knows?

The MG was without a doubt the worst car I have ever owned.

I have just rejoined the forum to post this. I rejected my car earlier in the year, but I am still getting updates via txt about it. The latest today told me that my brake system had triggered an alarm.

Probably not related to the issue in the first post, but who knows?

The MG was without a doubt the worst car I have ever owned.
Add the experience with most 'dealers' into the equation and I can totally understand.

Well that will be that then, the member is being dramatic.
Every time an owner posts something negative you come back and say your cars fine etc and totally down play their situation.
The braking is a known fault and they obviously got a fright but hey they are being dramatic
I have had an unexpected braking scenario when i tried to drive past standing traffic on the opposite free lane to get to a right turn.

The car pulled away seconds later.

I feel this forum is over pessimistic, with OP admitting they hardly drive the car and keep a hammer to break the window. Their attitude is already against the car, preferring to drive their other cars because of the worries.

Why keep a car if you feel this way?

Yes. I pretty much have no problem with my car apart from the crap lane assistance and that one unexpected emergency brake.

Its great.

Like the experience of 99% of people that dont need to come here to say otherwise. Its like a whinge club than a car forum.

Ive never known anything like it in all the car forums ive been on over the years .

I personally returned my car because I got locked in it. It leaked oil over my brand new driveway, the tray underneath was bulging and the seats looked as if they were made out of a black-dyed sack cloth. The worst thing was getting locked in it, it was so embarrassing and so dangerous, but I accept that that has now had a software update to resolve it.

It drive nicely, it was smooth and quiet, but in no way was the car worth 26k. The quality was simply not good enough. At around 18k, it would probably be about an ok price.

I have had an unexpected braking scenario when i tried to drive past standing traffic on the opposite free lane to get to a right turn.

I feel this forum is over pessimistic, with OP admitting they hardly drive the car and keep a hammer to break the window. Their attitude is already against the car, preferring to drive their other cars because of the worries.

Yes. I pretty much have no problem with my car apart from the crap lane assistance and that one unexpected emergency brake.

Its great.

Like the experience of 99% of people that dont need to come here to say otherwise. Its like a whinge club than a car forum.

Ive never known anything like it in all the car forums ive been on over the years .
Great you are having a good experience. It's not same for everyone.

This place is a forum to discuss like other forums I am on. All forums post about issues and request for help and guidance.

Especially for newbies which let's face it, more drivers of EVs are newbies than oldies.

Ask yourself why it's such a whinge club as you so wonderfully put it. I can't even get info about anything on the EV I drive as since 2021 there's hardly any issues posts because for the most part, it does what it says on the tin.

If you don't like the whinge, put your metaphorical car in gear and zoom off. You could have helped with your manual comment and left it there for him to refute.

Why does he carry a hammer you ask? Isn't it this same car people were getting locked in and all manner of tips like how to access boot from inside, keep a screw driver to pry lock, AND keep a hammer in the car to break glass if required?

Some people cancelled because their tolerance level is low, others tried to stick with it because theirs is high and they can cope. Others might as well tolerate until a certain point.

Your good experience doesn't invalidate other peoples bad experiences. Give us a break!

From the manual

Attachments

• FE55B878-A251-4F07-B3C3-5A6055D9B489.jpeg
    FE55B878-A251-4F07-B3C3-5A6055D9B489.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 239

Its great.

Looks like you’re having a ‘Whinge’ about the ‘whinge club’ 🤪

Its great.

Of late there have hardly been any faults being reported/discussed, which can only be a good thing. The braking is an issue.
The early deliveries of this car had more than it's fair share of issues only the most blinkered of person would say otherwise.
It has taken about 6 months to get to the stage they are at now and in that time there have been quite a few unhappy owners.
The people that are posting updates to long standing issues are doing so because people are interested in the updates will, if you are aren't why bother commenting on it.
And yes we know your 6 week old 1100mile car is fine doesn't have a leak and the undertray is flat.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back