Emergency braking on level crossing with no nearby cars

Agree. It's a heavy car, so when fully charged and no regen then you need to be a lot firmer pressing the brake pedal, which can feel a little disconcerting the first time you experience it. But other than that I've not found the brakes to be weak or unresponsive.

Agree. It's a heavy car, so when fully charged and no regen then you need to be a lot firmer pressing the brake pedal, which can feel a little disconcerting the first time you experience it. But other than that I've not found the brakes to be weak or unresponsive.
Just my feeling - But the little or no regen can also feel as if its adding a layer of sponginess, as you push down quickly to bypass that feeling to actually feel the brakes when its like this ...

Hmm I understand what you’re suggesting but I can confirm, I drive this car around 8 hours a day for work, I’m familiar how it feels to brake with a full charge or almost drained battery, and with the regen breaking.

For me, the car has done it 2 or maybe 3 times, I put my foot on the brake, it slows me down the majority and then the last bit where you come to a full stop, it’s like it keeps rolling instead, fortunately i haven’t had any accident with that, but it did roll onto a roundabout with people approaching.

Got a feeling I have had this - but I put it down to me rather than the car, didn't occur to me it might be a fault.
Pretty worrying, I’ve booked mine into the services but the earliest date is there 28th June! I said on the phone, but it’s a dangerous fault and she said, “we’re really busy” lmao

I suspect the radar is picking up a reflection from the rails across the road and thinks there is something stationary ahead.
Radar plate is programmed into a double knock system with the camera, basically if the radar plate detects something the camera has to also register an object to prevent erroneous activation.

If you obscure the camera it will tell you ACC and alot of other features are disabled

Today our MG4 automatically braked on a level crossing with no other vehicles in sight. I was within in the barriers and the car wouldn’t move for what seemed like ages. I have never been so frightened in my life and my heart was pumping. I was debating whether to just run and leave the car on the crossing when it restarted. My afternoon was totally ruined as
I have been so stressed and very tearful. Looking back, a few months ago, the exact same thing happened in the exact same place and at the time I thought that maybe I‘d mistakenly braked. So be warned on railway crossing that it may happen. Very scary.

Previous to owning the MG4, we had a MG5, we had no problems with the 5, I did 9500 miles in 13 months. The MG4 we have had for nearly 7 months, only done just over 2000 miles as it’s just been one software problem after another and I was already nervous about using it because of the previous issues posted on this forum. As we have another car (diesel Audi) I’ve usually opted to drive that if there’s any possibility of an ‘out of the ordinary‘ situation, even such events as coming home in the dark or bad weather. The MG4 is the only car I ever owned where a tool to break the windows is kept in the glove box permanently.

I’ve totally lost confidence in the car now after this afternoon. A big regret for ever changing from the MG5.

The dealer is looking at the car next week, although initially the earliest date was July!

I live near a railway crossing and this is my route on 95%+ of my journeys. I no longer want the car and in fact, I have absolutely no intention of driving it again. It’s downright dangerous. Please be careful.
Omg

People have very different experiences with the MG4 depending on when theirs was made and whether they got a bad 'un or not.

When you read the catalogue of problems some people have had then it is entirely understandable why they are down about the car and a fair few have rejected it. I'm actually surprised how often such people still say they like the drive/car despite the issues they have suffered.

MG have been poor at supporting early cars and in some cases - eg undertray - have just abandoned people with a known issue. Couple that with a fiddly update system and overworked or unscrupulous dealers who cut corners on updates: we end up with a lot of people suffering bugs that already have fixes. Again this is not great and if you have these problems it is quite legitimate to complain here and ask for help.

Yes, more recent cars are miles better and seem largely problem-free except for the known software issues everyone has, which are slowly getting fixed in updates.

It may seem that people moan a lot here but actually the surveys have shown most people are happy and quiet - but there is a substantial community with issues that are not being properly addressed and that dominates the conversation.
I JUST logged on to complain about the emergency braking. I went to turn into a road from a stand still and my car slammed on brakes so damn hard if anyone was behind me i would have been rear ended. I was nowhere near the vehicle that was passing and my care refused to move. I had to wait a good 10 seconds before it allowed me to accelerate. I sat in the parking lot in my car for 5 mins waiting for my heart to slow down. Wtf! Is that something I can turn off????

Just turned off front collision assist. I appreciate the warning beep, but to slan me to a halt when I am diagonally across both lanes is dangerous as hell!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive previously commented in the forum on this issue, see below

I had a similar issue with the emergency braking coming on while i had the automatic cruise control on. ( I have a 2022 ZS EV with 320km range)
Initially I discussed it with the dealer I purchased the vehicle from
They gave me a load of BS, and basically said it was driver error.
I then contacted the New Zealand importer, told them it wasnt good enough
They readily agreed to an in warranty check ( at the dealership where I purchased the vehicle from)
End result was: radar was mis aligned, plus they did two software updates ( not sure of the detail)
Learning point is, dont take no for an answer , if you think there is something wrong with your vehicle, there probably is.
If you come at it from a safety perspective, they should get involved in a remedy.
In New Zealand, we also have a Consumer Guarantee Act, amongst other things, the Act says that items must "be fit for purpose.

I have had my ZS EV for nearly a year and had my first emergency stop yesterday. Car in front turning left stopped for no reason and the system just beat me to the brakes, Very impressive.

When it works, it is a life saver but the last 3 cars I have owned have had their share of false positive emergency braking situations. In fact, my MG4 hasn't done this yet though I am expecting it will at some point.

Omg

I JUST logged on to complain about the emergency braking. I went to turn into a road from a stand still and my car slammed on brakes so damn hard if anyone was behind me i would have been rear ended. I was nowhere near the vehicle that was passing and my care refused to move. I had to wait a good 10 seconds before it allowed me to accelerate. I sat in the parking lot in my car for 5 mins waiting for my heart to slow down. Wtf! Is that something I can turn off????

Just turned off front collision assist. I appreciate the warning beep, but to slan me to a halt when I am diagonally across both lanes is dangerous as hell!!!

Your bit about being rear ended is a good point.
It’s all very well people saying it’s the responsibility of the car behind to always make sure they have enough room to stop blablabla, but we all know that’s cloud cuckoo land stuff.
In real life if you’re bimbling along a road and you can see what’s going on, you’re really not expecting the car in front to suddenly do a full on emergency stop.
I don’t know what the current insurance stance is on rear-end accidents, but I’d be surprised if it was always deemed to be the person behind was at fault.
If that were the case, these ‘whiplash’ claimants would always win.
So is there a chance these ghost brake events would end up with you being blamed?

I was just saying the other day, cars, even ice cars are more like computers on wheels. Us oldies expect them to work like cars did from not that long ago really 🤔. When I think back to some of the bangers I've had! Doors opening while going round a roundabout, brake pipes bursting, petrol leaking, oh and an actual fire at a main junction at rush hour! I'm not just going back to 60s and 70s......the fire was a luxury car in the late 90s! 😯

Your bit about being rear ended is a good point.
It’s all very well people saying it’s the responsibility of the car behind to always make sure they have enough room to stop blablabla, but we all know that’s cloud cuckoo land stuff.
In real life if you’re bimbling along a road and you can see what’s going on, you’re really not expecting the car in front to suddenly do a full on emergency stop.
I don’t know what the current insurance stance is on rear-end accidents, but I’d be surprised if it was always deemed to be the person behind was at fault.
If that were the case, these ‘whiplash’ claimants would always win.
So is there a chance these ghost brake events would end up with you being blamed?
Good point but they may emergency brake because they saw a cute little mouse that you weren't aware of?
(Just my bit of fun but could happen? ) 😉

Insurers will say that you should be at a safe distance to be able to stop.
I agree with your point that real world if someone slams on the brakes a lot of people will hit them but it’s always going to be your fault unless there are clear reasons why it isn’t - e.g. car pulled out in front of you and braked.
If the car brakes for you unnecessarily- I guess that it makes little difference - the car that rear ends is still liable. The other point is actually proving that the car braked and not you - this is almost impossible in most situations.

Good point but they may emergency brake because they saw a cute little mouse that you weren't aware of?
(Just my bit of fun but could happen? ) 😉
The shitty part of it slamming on brakes, is the heart attack it induces loll.

Insurers will say that you should be at a safe distance to be able to stop.
I agree with your point that real world if someone slams on the brakes a lot of people will hit them but it’s always going to be your fault unless there are clear reasons why it isn’t - e.g. car pulled out in front of you and braked.
If the car brakes for you unnecessarily- I guess that it makes little difference - the car that rear ends is still liable. The other point is actually proving that the car braked and not you - this is almost impossible in most situations.
Agreed, you are always at fault once you are behind. I still wouldn't want my 6 month old car rear ended for no reason though, other than the damn AEB decided, LETS STOP HERE RIGHT NOW!

I was also driving down a road last week that had cars parked on both sides, so I was bobbing and weaving for lack of a better term, and the foolish car warned me and hit brakes quick and kept going again. I'm wondering if there is a sensor issue I need to get investigated as i was nowhere NEAR to hitting anything .

Today our MG4 automatically braked on a level crossing with no other vehicles in sight. I was within in the barriers and the car wouldn’t move for what seemed like ages. I have never been so frightened in my life and my heart was pumping. I was debating whether to just run and leave the car on the crossing when it restarted. My afternoon was totally ruined as
I have been so stressed and very tearful. Looking back, a few months ago, the exact same thing happened in the exact same place and at the time I thought that maybe I‘d mistakenly braked. So be warned on railway crossing that it may happen. Very scary.

Previous to owning the MG4, we had a MG5, we had no problems with the 5, I did 9500 miles in 13 months. The MG4 we have had for nearly 7 months, only done just over 2000 miles as it’s just been one software problem after another and I was already nervous about using it because of the previous issues posted on this forum. As we have another car (diesel Audi) I’ve usually opted to drive that if there’s any possibility of an ‘out of the ordinary‘ situation, even such events as coming home in the dark or bad weather. The MG4 is the only car I ever owned where a tool to break the windows is kept in the glove box permanently.

I’ve totally lost confidence in the car now after this afternoon. A big regret for ever changing from the MG5.

The dealer is looking at the car next week, although initially the earliest date was July!

I live near a railway crossing and this is my route on 95%+ of my journeys. I no longer want the car and in fact, I have absolutely no intention of driving it again. It’s downright dangerous. Please be careful.
Hi, Interested to hear your story regarding the emergency braking on the MG4. It happened to me at 40mph on a main road. Luckily, nothing was behind. It really shook me up. By the following day I had sold it and bought a Citroen EC4, which I'd owned before the MG. As well as the aforementioned problem, It also locked me out, locked me in, failed to link to my 'phone and dropped all the windows when parked in a public car park....in the rain. A great car to drive, just spoilt by the dangerous software. I have owned over 50 cars in my lifetime - this is by far the worst!
My advice.......get rid!

Hi, Interested to hear your story regarding the emergency braking on the MG4. It happened to me at 40mph on a main road. Luckily, nothing was behind. It really shook me up. By the following day I had sold it and bought a Citroen EC4, which I'd owned before the MG. As well as the aforementioned problem, It also locked me out, locked me in, failed to link to my 'phone and dropped all the windows when parked in a public car park....in the rain. A great car to drive, just spoilt by the dangerous software. I have owned over 50 cars in my lifetime - this is by far the worst!
My advice.......get rid!
Sounds like you got a lemon which is unfortunate. Ive had mine for 5 going on 6 months and have had such issues...however my last car, a Mazda 3 gave me NO END OF TROUBLE, I got the lemon then for sure.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back