Emergency braking on level crossing with no nearby cars

People have very different experiences with the MG4 depending on when theirs was made and whether they got a bad 'un or not.

When you read the catalogue of problems some people have had then it is entirely understandable why they are down about the car and a fair few have rejected it. I'm actually surprised how often such people still say they like the drive/car despite the issues they have suffered.

MG have been poor at supporting early cars and in some cases - eg undertray - have just abandoned people with a known issue. Couple that with a fiddly update system and overworked or unscrupulous dealers who cut corners on updates: we end up with a lot of people suffering bugs that already have fixes. Again this is not great and if you have these problems it is quite legitimate to complain here and ask for help.

Yes, more recent cars are miles better and seem largely problem-free except for the known software issues everyone has, which are slowly getting fixed in updates.

It may seem that people moan a lot here but actually the surveys have shown most people are happy and quiet - but there is a substantial community with issues that are not being properly addressed and that dominates the conversation.

Of late there have hardly been any faults being reported/discussed, which can only be a good thing.
Exactly. I've been pleased to notice this as well.

No one has an agenda against MG4. Every owner before they bought it or interested owner has probably already heard and overcome all the
"China" talk and this will suggest they want it to work out.

If things don't go as expected, raising it helps the community as well as the company. The company no matter how rigorous they test products depends on real life user experiences to improve the product.

MG4 is getting there, I'm thrilled about it but let's not gag the 1% of bad experience customers.

I've also found that 'occasionally' when mine has been in Cruise mode and I've needed to take a junction off the dual carriageway (unplanned) that the 'brake pedal' feels wooly and none responsive?! (even though it is actually braking its just not sharp)

Unless It seems a rapid series of double depressing of the brake peddle corrects that 'feeling'

Lesson I've learnt, is to cancel via the steering wheel the Adaptive Cruise, before said junction.. allow car to slow - manually apply the brake slightly (as I indicate for example) and drive then brake accordingly for road conditions/junctions

Some may say thats what you should do - Others will say differently; To me - Each car I drive is different to the last and 'safely' features are 'different' - Therefore I have had to learn the induvial cars characteristics.

For instance - If you get into the car pressing the Brake pedal and quickly select D or R - and the car isnt 'ready' (as you've just sat on the seat) - it will go into neutral! - Not good if you have traffic waiting behind you for instance as you've parked to open your gates and need to reverse onto your drive - You have to press P re press the brake pedal and re select the drive position.. That takes time - that feels like decades as the traffic is pressurizing you from behind - but is only seconds ...

I expect a s/w patch in due course will address some of the characteristics that we dont even know are as they are (yet)

So I can only imagine how that must have felt on a Railway Crossing ... Not pleasant

Mine slammed the brakes on when moving out to pass a bus with oncoming traffic. No pressing of any pedals did anything. I too went from D to P and back again and it then moved off after a couple of seconds.

Thing is, I felt like a right idiot for that time and it did feel like ages passed when in reality it wasn’t. If it had happened on a railway crossing I can imagine the level of panic….and it feels like ages.

It has never done it since however in nearly 1500 miles now but I do occasionally get it if I reverse into my driveway too quickly as the ground rises up towards the car or my hedges freak it out. When manoeuvring you can’t stamp on the accelerator of course.

It must be a bit like riding a horse I guess……not that I’ve any experience with those.

Mine slammed the brakes on when moving out to pass a bus with oncoming traffic. No pressing of any pedals did anything. I too went from D to P and back again and it then moved off after a couple of seconds.

Thing is, I felt like a right idiot for that time and it did feel like ages passed when in reality it wasn’t. If it had happened on a railway crossing I can imagine the level of panic….and it feels like ages.

It has never done it since however in nearly 1500 miles now but I do occasionally get it if I reverse into my driveway too quickly as the ground rises up towards the car or my hedges freak it out. When manoeuvring you can’t stamp on the accelerator of course.

It must be a bit like riding a horse I guess……not that I’ve any experience with those.

If my 4 was a horse it would have been shot.

I have just rejoined the forum to post this. I rejected my car earlier in the year, but I am still getting updates via txt about it. The latest today told me that my brake system had triggered an alarm.

Probably not related to the issue in the first post, but who knows?

The MG was without a doubt the worst car I have ever owned.
Interesting.... its the best car we've ever owned 🙂

I suspect the radar is picking up a reflection from the rails across the road and thinks there is something stationary ahead.
That was my thought too. We have had the car brake when approaching bends etc too.

What nobody has commented on is the fact that you can be prosecuted for stopping on a level crossing, which under the circumstances would be the icing on the cake.
Only deliberately I hope?!.... and this forum would be useful then.... in court 😆

Interesting.... its the best car we've ever owned 🙂
I should stop posting here again, it's not fair on those who like the cars. The first mistake I made was buying the car based on reviews and online pictures. I had never seen one in real life. I drove 300 miles to pick it up, looked at it and my heart sank. I should have walked away at that point, as I was able to under the distance selling regs. I found the car to look very cheap, both on the inside and out. The red paint looks somehow thin to me and I can't explain that any better, it just looks wrong somehow!

It drove ok though and I was prepared to live with it. In some way I got lucky as the faults it then had meant that I could send it back. I'm now in a Ford Puma as I ponder my next EV, but I am struggling to part with 40k+ for a car that is worth around 30k at best. The Puma at 28k is in a different league to the MG, but it's of course not an EV and I want to do the 'right' thing now.

I will stop posting now as I don't have much good to say about the MG4. Sorry guys!

I’ve had a similar experience, my car has halted to a stop unnecessarily with 2 passengers in the car (Uber driver), I was going to pull away and the emergency brakes stopped us. We thought someone had crashed into us.

I have also had the soft brakes feeling when I’ve gone to stop, they were almost unresponsive, or just very very weak. If I wouldn’t lose thousands, I would take the car back and get another BMW.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back