Emergency stop by car

Sammy G

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have an MG ZS ev trophy long range.
I've had it 3 months and generally love it apart from I have no heating (it's booked to go to dealership when they have a technician available, there's a backlog of work apparently).
Today I had another issue which scared the life out of me. The car decided to do an emergency stop while I was driving at 30mph on a totally clear road. Thank goodness the driver behind me was on the ball or else they would have crashed into me. Yellow collision warnings and bleeps from dashboard. On return journey it also braked itself and made a grinding noise. This time no warnings or bleeps from dash and didn't stop completely. Quite worrying ! Dealership couldn't see it until next week so told me to ring MG assistance (AA) who found no problems ! Anyone else experienced this ?

Last edited:
Change the front collision sensitivity level to medium or even low. The grinding noise is the ABS getting ready to apply the brakes, nothing to worry about.

been driving it 3 months and never had that noise before, the car braked on it's own
Change the front collision sensitivity level to medium or even low. The grinding noise is the ABS getting ready to apply the brakes, nothing to worry about.
again, totally clear road in front

After reading similar experiences as you I set mine to low at pick up of car

Last edited:
Is this the same as discussed here?:

Wondering if it's purely a settings issue, or an error to look out for...

Had our ZS EV Gen1 do the very same thing once !.
Travelling at 28 mph in a built up small country town, through a speed camera area.
Being closely followed by a long line of traffic.
A white van appears from nowhere at speed, from a bind junction and the nose of his van crosses the double white lines.
The car reacts with the “Beep - Beep - Beep” then slams on the brakes !.
How we never got slammed at the rear, is a remarkable !.
All credit to the driver following behind.
The grating noise ( although it sounds terrible ) was the same way, when our car reacted as it did.
If you get the “Beep Beep Beep” warning ⚠️ and do nothing quickly to correct what the car THINKS it is witnessing, it will hammer on the brakes extremely hard !.
I have not witnessed it happening in the Gen2 ( yet ).
I have not touched the factory settings, so I am guessing it on the default mode.
I don’t use the intelligence systems ( MG Pilot etc ) at all either.

Is this the same as discussed here?:

Wondering if it's purely a settings issue, or an error to look out for...
There wasn't anything near my car at all, no vehicles and no pedestrians

AA checked the car over and found nothing. They did say I must report to my dealer though which I already have. It's going in to have the heating fixed soon (hopefully) so I will ask them to look at this too. Radio controls on the steering wheel stop working regularly too

I’ve noticed if you set the sensitivity to low, when you turned the car off and get back in it defaults back to medium, this is the same issue with the speed warning display, you can turn the speed warning display off but when you get back into the car it automatically turns back on?

Had our ZS EV Gen1 do the very same thing once !.
Travelling at 28 mph in a built up small country town, through a speed camera area.
Being closely followed by a long line of traffic.
A white van appears from nowhere at speed, from a bind junction and the nose of his van crosses the double white lines.
The car reacts with the “Beep - Beep - Beep” then slams on the brakes !.
How we never got slammed at the rear, is a remarkable !.
All credit to the driver following behind.
The grating noise ( although it sounds terrible ) was the same way, when our car reacted as it did.
If you get the “Beep Beep Beep” warning ⚠️ and do nothing quickly to correct

How could one "correct"?

what the car THINKS it is witnessing, it will hammer on the brakes extremely hard !.
I have not witnessed it happening in the Gen2 ( yet ).
I have not touched the factory settings, so I am guessing it on the default mode.
I don’t use the intelligence systems ( MG Pilot etc ) at all either.

As soon as you receive the Beep - beep -beep warning ( e.g. If you received a warning you are travelling to close to the car in front ) and you intervene by backing off the "Go" pedal etc, it will detect the correction and will not apply the brakes.
I have experienced what the car detects as a potential danger only myself last week !.
We where returning home from the early morning school run and there where cars parked very badly in dangerous situations by the school.
Cars parked on bends in the road and with their rear ends sticking out into oncoming traffic.
I am sure you all know about the common 10 to 9 crew in a panic rush !.
We where slowly weaving our way through the badly parked cars on both sides of the road and the car seen this as a likely accident about to happen !.
It was Beep - beep - beeping each time it spotted a badly parked car.
We where only travelling at about 15 Mph and with each correction of the speed and steering, it would cease beeping, because the danger had been removed.
As soon as you start to get the beeping warning, you have to be quick to respond in some way to correct it, or trust me the system WILL apply the brakes hard !.
It's not a nice experience I can assure you.
The higher the speed, the worse it can be !.

As soon as you receive the Beep - beep -beep warning ( e.g. If you received a warning you are travelling to close to the car in front ) and you intervene by backing off the "Go" pedal etc, it will detect the correction and will not apply the brakes.
I have experienced what the car detects as a potential danger only myself last week !.
We where returning home from the early morning school run and there where cars parked very badly in dangerous situations by the school.
Cars parked on bends in the road and with their rear ends sticking out into oncoming traffic.
I am sure you all know about the common 10 to 9 crew in a panic rush !.
We where slowly weaving our way through the badly parked cars on both sides of the road and the car seen this as a likely accident about to happen !.
It was Beep - beep - beeping each time it spotted a badly parked car.
We where only travelling at about 15 Mph and with each correction of the speed and steering, it would cease beeping, because the danger had been removed.
As soon as you start to get the beeping warning, you have to be quick to respond in some way to correct it, or trust me the system WILL apply the brakes hard !.
It's not a nice experience I can assure you.
The higher the speed, the worse it can be !.
The higher the speed the less chance of any human correcting...

Hello all,

This is really a deal breaker for me whether or not to buy an MG ZS EV GEN2. I'm really not going to drive a car that just suddenly stops, suddenly a bang against the car and my son has problems.

I have read all the posts above carefully but my english is not that good. That's why I don't always understand. Hence these questions for clarification.

Would you please answer these, I'd love to hear multiple opinions.

• Does this sudden stop problem also occur with the GEN2 Luxury LR?
  • Can this problem be solved by disabling the helpsystem in menu?
  • If I turn off this helpsystem in the settings, will the system save this change? Or should I go all the way to the menu next time and turn this setting off? Everytime again?

If this error is from a helper system and is easy to turn off and I can save this change I will buy an MG ZS EV. Other really never never.

I have had my ZS TLR for two weeks and had no emergency braking by the car. It has beeped a few times at parked cars, but stopped when it realised I wasn't going to drive into them. I hope this helps.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom