Energy Provider Recommendation

My fixed rate tariff runs out June I've looked at edf and octopus both have pros and cons
Out of interest - what were the pros and cons for both?

I forgot to mention octopus are great for being able to switch your tariffs with no penalty - for instance if I was on the variable gas - I could switch to the tracker tariff over the summer - which theoretically should be cheaper during the summer months, as it tracks the whole sale cost of gas. I believe it was as low as 1.5p/kWh today, and then I would ge able to switch back to variable in winter the benefit from the price cap protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have to switch your gas, you could leave it on the price cap.
I thought EDF had large exit fees🤔

You don't have to switch your gas, you could leave it on the price cap.
I thought EDF had large exit fees🤔
If replying to my comment - I think you may have got mixed up - I was saying with octopus 🐙 you can switch to the tracker over the summer if you want (as it could be cheaper) , and then back to price cap in winter (so you’ll be protected by the price cap). And that octopus have no fees to change, switch or exit tariffs.

I beleive EDF exit fees could be close to £300, but I may be totally incorrect with that - so don’t take that as gospel - but there are definitely fees to switch or exit.

Also if you go onto an EDF EV tariff, you HAVE to take out a gas tariff too as they are dual fuel tariffs only, and the unit price for gas is huge at the moment with them - I think something like 13p/kWh.😱😱😱

Octopus Go is an electric only tariff, so you have multiple options for gas - either go onto standard variable with them, fix with them (or anyone else), go onto octopus tracker for gas, or even stay with your current gas supplier like I have, I was lucky enough to have a good fix with British Gas for gas - 3p/kWh until next November - we were on a fixed gas (3p/kWh) and electric(22p/kWh), but it worked out cheaper for me to switch my electric to octopus go AND pay the early exit fees of £40 to British Gas - I’ve already made that early exit fee back in savings on Octopus Go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom