Which charger / energy provider

Has anyone been successful moving on to one of the Octopus Smart Tariffs as I am an Octopus customer but I have been told they have paused taking anyone on the Smart tariffs. They have said they hope to have these available again shortly when they have assessed them with the price cap which should be in the next couple of weeks. I hope this is resolved before my MG4 arrives or it will be trips to Tesco ;-)

I was one of the lucky ones who managed to get onto EDF's EV 'fixed' tariff which allows you to switch between 2 on -off peak tarrifs (go 35 & go 90?) & 1 fixed 24/7 - however my smart meter is in a poor signal area, so EDF have been excellent and are currently trying their last resort, an external T3 roof mounted aerial - I find that picking up the phone and speaking to them (and getting a personal manager) works the best (I was with british gas before and found the same - just ring the EV warranty line - as they pick up in 1 ring - as no one needs a warranty claim, but explain your own circumstances), and they are usually very helpful. I was originally getting a lease EV, and had a wall charger fitted through them, but the lease fell through (9 month delay), but ended up with a Ohme Pro charger - todate (I've only had the car a week & get free charging at work - if I get in early enough to get on a type 2 charger) I've not used the ohme, but it looks and feels quite a good one (maybe a bit too much control, as not sure if the car of the charger should be the boss at controlling the scheduled charge??).

300 miles todate in the MG4, and have still not paid a penny to charge yet ! - unbelievable!

33.76p is the EDF standard cap rate (per the tariff details in my EDF account - 50.67p per day standing charge).
33.76p is the EDF standard cap rate (per the tariff details in my EDF account - 50.67p per day standing charge).
If you move to the off peak the standard rate increases to

If you move to the off peak the standard rate increases to
I managed to get on this one:- https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/goelectric_ratecard_may24.pdf

"Once you’ve signed up to GoElectric, you lock in the prices across all 3 structures that are in effect on the day you sign up. This means that even if newer versions of GoElectric are launched which have different prices, this will not affect you. You can move between the structures freely for the duration of your tariff whilst keeping the same end date, and you won’t incur any fees."

edf go electric 35, so 5 hours of juice over night at 4.5p, car and home batteries scheduled to charge during that period. Minimal usage outside the 5 hour window.

Car takes about 6kw so 6x5 = 30kwh a night, almost half a charge or 120miles per night for £1.35p. Just over a penny a mile. Not to bad.

The home batteries and inverter max out at 3kw supply so if we have the oven and kettle on drawing 5kw then we take 2kw from the grid. I recon 90% of usage is from the batteries.

If only getting rid of the rest of the bills was as easy as energy.

Has anyone been successful moving on to one of the Octopus Smart Tariffs as I am an Octopus customer but I have been told they have paused taking anyone on the Smart tariffs. They have said they hope to have these available again shortly when they have assessed them with the price cap which should be in the next couple of weeks. I hope this is resolved before my MG4 arrives or it will be trips to Tesco ;-)
I applied online and I was sorted within 2 days however I waited till price increase.

I accepted octopus go after 20 days so my day tariff is now same as variable after increase but gained 4 hours of cheap electric through night

I applied online and I was sorted within 2 days however I waited till price increase.

I accepted octopus go after 20 days so my day tariff is now same as variable after increase but gained 4 hours of cheap electric through night
Hi Kamil

I got this email today from Octopus as wanted to go on the Intellegent Tariff

Unfortunately as of the recently, there has been a pause on enrolling on smart tariffs put in place. This is stemming from the uncertainty with how the new price cap will be effecting these tariffs' rates. We will be letting customers know when we are accepting applications in the future, so best to keep an ear out for that.

So looks like I will have to wait and see when they update the tariffs.

Keith

edf go electric 35, so 5 hours of juice over night at 4.5p, car and home batteries scheduled to charge during that period. Minimal usage outside the 5 hour window.

Car takes about 6kw so 6x5 = 30kwh a night, almost half a charge or 120miles per night for £1.35p. Just over a penny a mile. Not to bad.

The home batteries and inverter max out at 3kw supply so if we have the oven and kettle on drawing 5kw then we take 2kw from the grid. I recon 90% of usage is from the batteries.

If only getting rid of the rest of the bills was as easy as energy.
...thats my long term plan (we use around 7kw / day at home on electric), so have 3 x U2000c pylontech batteries (& Victron Multiplus II) to get through most of the day - plus I have just about solved V2H from the MG4 for the extreme events in the winter

I'm with Sainsbury's Energy Fixed 2Yr till Oct23, apparently they are an extension of E-on Next.

I rang Sainsbury's and they said they had NO EV tariffs, suggested I should try E-on Next, but haven't.

The Granny charger was taking too long to fully charge up the MG5.

So bought a 7kWh (32A) plugin charger off Ali-Express, quite pleased at the price of £153 inc P&P, rather peed off at the £55 Customs charge though.

I already had 16A and 32A Round sockets for my Welders and other equipment, but they were a bit inaccessible for the charger.

So bought a combined Switch and 32A Socket, to mount closer to the roller garage door, when leaving it plugged in(which takes 6Hrs), I close the door down to just touching the cable, works very well, 32A Switch/Socket was £30 off fleebay, already had a coil of 4mm² cable so job done.

Put on charge today at 18:00 (18%), unplugged at 21:00 (100%) stating 316 Miles range, well pleased.

I'm with Sainsbury's Energy Fixed 2Yr till Oct23, apparently they are an extension of E-on Next.

I rang Sainsbury's and they said they had NO EV tariffs, suggested I should try E-on Next, but haven't.

So bought a 7kWh (32A) plugin charger off Ali-Express, quite pleased at the price of £153 inc P&P, rather peed off at the £55 Customs charge though.

I already had 16A and 32A Round sockets for my Welders and other equipment, but they were a bit inaccessible for the charger.

So bought a combined Switch and 32A Socket, to mount closer to the roller garage door, when leaving it plugged in(which takes 6Hrs), I close the door down to just touching the cable, works very well, 32A Switch/Socket was £30 off fleebay, already had a coil of 4mm² cable so job done.

Put on charge today at 18:00 (18%), unplugged at 21:00 (100%) stating 316 Miles range, well pleased.
Blimey that is quick charging, 18-100% in 3 hours ! In that time on my 7kW I only get about 30%.

E-on next have suspended their EV tariff for the time being

I know all these EV tariffs have gone now. However, just wondering incase they come back ever…

Is anyone on a favourable EV tariff but doesn’t have a smart meter? I don’t seem to be able to have one due to signal problems at my property.

Unless it’s improved over the last 3-4 years which is the last time I let someone in to look at installing one…

I think it's necessary requirement to have smart meter for smart tariff otherwise they won't know when you used your electric.

Octopus Go require 30 minutes smart reading from smart meter

I managed to get on this one:- https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/goelectric_ratecard_may24.pdf

"Once you’ve signed up to GoElectric, you lock in the prices across all 3 structures that are in effect on the day you sign up. This means that even if newer versions of GoElectric are launched which have different prices, this will not affect you. You can move between the structures freely for the duration of your tariff whilst keeping the same end date, and you won’t incur any fees."
Iv sent an email to EDF to try and change my tariff to the one you posted 🤞🤞cheers

Blimey that is quick charging, 18-100% in 3 hours ! In that time on my 7kW I only get about 30%.
Extremely sorry for this misleading statement, it was actually 15:00 - 21:00 not 18:00, definitely 6 Hours, still not bad from my point of view though.

Sorry if this has been covered already. I’ve dug a bit further into my current electricity provider which is OVO. They, like all the other suppliers did an EV specific tariff which is now on hold but I’ll stick with it just now and hopefully they will come up with something before I get the car.

They also have money off a couple of home chargers. An Ohme Home Pro and an Indra Smart Pro.

I’ve seen people talking about the Ohme. Any thoughts or experience of the Indra?

Sorry if this has been covered already. I’ve dug a bit further into my current electricity provider which is OVO. They, like all the other suppliers did an EV specific tariff which is now on hold but I’ll stick with it just now and hopefully they will come up with something before I get the car.

They also have money off a couple of home chargers. An Ohme Home Pro and an Indra Smart Pro.

I’ve seen people talking about the Ohme. Any thoughts or experience of the Indra?
I'm with E.ON and they have suspended their EV tariff too

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel