Which charger / energy provider

Sorry if this has been covered already. I’ve dug a bit further into my current electricity provider which is OVO. They, like all the other suppliers did an EV specific tariff which is now on hold but I’ll stick with it just now and hopefully they will come up with something before I get the car.

They also have money off a couple of home chargers. An Ohme Home Pro and an Indra Smart Pro.

I’ve seen people talking about the Ohme. Any thoughts or experience of the Indra?
have a look at: - its quite nicely put - in that for home charging one of the elements needs to be smart - either the car or the charger, from what I can tell, the MG4 is smart in that you can tell it to use scheduled charging, or "manually" reduce the charging current to make optimal use of solar panels during the day, so the charger can be dumb (I have an ohme, but todate only have used it in dumb mode)

The difficulty at the moment may be actually getting an EV tariff 🤷‍♂️

FWIW, even on the standard cap rate (33.79p for me) it still works out cheaper than even the discounted fuel card rate I currently pay for my company car.

diesel company car = 13p per mile (actual cost is 15p to 17p)
MG4 @ 33.79p per unit @ 3.5 mpkWh = 9.7p per mile

That's 25% cheaper, and the better the efficiency the bigger the saving :)

Is the the EDF GoDrive tariff only offered to Nissan EV owners?

Is the the EDF GoDrive tariff only offered to Nissan EV owners?
I think your spot on - I've messed up on this one, my tarrif is EDF may 24, and this refers to nov 22 (which I thought was today, not 2 years out of date!) - thanks for the correction

It is, but hardly the most persuasive figures to enthuse someone into handing over their diesel/good mpg petrol car(s).
In fact, I'd laugh at the thought of considering swapping for that. Even more so if one likes the petrol/diesel manual box experience.

It is, but hardly the most persuasive figures to enthuse someone into handing over their diesel/good mpg petrol car(s).
In fact, I'd laugh at the thought of considering swapping for that. Even more so if one likes the petrol/diesel manual box experience.
You'd laugh at 25% decrease in fuel costs and the BIK 2% compared to 20%? If a company car.

Would you laugh if petrol/diesel went up 25%?

Aye, the cost savings are disappearing rapidly I'm afraid, and that 9.7p per mile is actually going to be over 10 when you account for the charging losses.
I'm still dying to get into the MG4 I have on order but I realise the savings will be increasingly marginal .

Would you laugh if petrol/diesel went up 25%?
I doubt I'd laugh, but I doubt I'd cry either with the likewise rapid increases in the cost of electricity/energy.
But I probably would laugh if someone tried to argue the ever decreasing merits to go the electric car route right now, other than they simply like them and want to (the Mg4 is groovy looking though (y) )
When the fuel/energy difference was large, coupled with incentives coming out of one's eyeballs (charger grants, electric car grants all plenty etc) maybe, but with a equalizing up of sorts of fuel/energy differences, plus incentives ever decreasing, not to mention the beyond satire prices some public chargers now ask, nor having any particular 'emotional' attachment or longing for them, no way hosay.

Last edited:
The difficulty at the moment may be actually getting an EV tariff 🤷‍♂️

FWIW, even on the standard cap rate (33.79p for me) it still works out cheaper than even the discounted fuel card rate I currently pay for my company car.

I'm on Economy 7 and so pay 14p per kWh which makes the cost per mile of the MG4 = 3.9p and that's from cold.

Aye, the cost savings are disappearing rapidly I'm afraid, and that 9.7p per mile is actually going to be over 10 when you account for the charging losses.
I'm still dying to get into the MG4 I have on order but I realise the savings will be increasingly marginal .
One of the reasons I’m looking into a solar-battery storage system.

I've got the hypervolt charger. Its solar compatible. Just moved to octopus go. 12p night rate 0030 to 0430 and 43p at all other times. Obviously the washer/dryer and dishwasher are now hammered at 3am....

I've got the hypervolt charger. Its solar compatible. Just moved to octopus go. 12p night rate 0030 to 0430 and 43p at all other times. Obviously the washer/dryer and dishwasher are now hammered at 3am....

From my reckoning, its probably the only one now available. Will cheap EV charging overnight ever come back? - I doubt it! - Petrol Ped sums it up, which is my exact thoughts in the next 5-10 years - I've just invested in a home battery which keeps me going for another 20 months (EDF cheap overnight at 4.5p/Kwh).

... should point out, in that in certain places, e.g. Coventry, they have a city solution (a charger on lots of streets via the char.gy network), and now costs £180 / month for unlimited charging

1667316362513.png

Last edited:
Do any of the motoring organisations in the UK offer a discount on price per Kwh?
Here in Germany with ADAC (Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club) they have a linkup with EnBw who have 300,000 charge points across Europe. If you are an ADAC member you get a discount, 10 cents off the price.

Last edited:
FYI - MyEnergi (Makers of the Zappi) are about to launch a home battery called "Libbi".
Yeah I saw that the other day on YouTube. Looks good. I'm currently having the Ohme Home Pro fitted as I get it installed for free so no harm done and they'll lay all the wires/connections but will swap it out for the Zappi, Libbi etc later when I have Solar and batteries fitted (prefer the one ecosystem).

Incorrect. if you call them (or send them a message on twitter) you can sign up no problem! The website states it’s probably best to stay where you are - but that applies to the general population, not ev drivers!

I can guarantee you can switch (I’ve become a bit of an expert on this subject over the past 6 months), and I personally know of at least 300 people who have switched. Give them a call and you’ll be surprised.

Use a code too and you’ll get £50 credit sign up bonuses on your account too (as will the person who’s code you use).

If you have an ev and an ohme, it’s a no brainier to be on either go or intelligent.
Would you like to offer up your referral code as I'm going to be moving to Octopus once the Ohme is fitted and someone might as well get the referral as I don't know anyone else personally on it.

Would you like to offer up your referral code as I'm going to be moving to Octopus once the Ohme is fitted and someone might as well get the referral as I don't know anyone else personally on it.
Sure! It should be in my signature, but if you can’t see it there, I can always drop you a PM :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back