EV Charger Home Install

kpatrick77

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi everyone,

I placed an order early November for a MG5 and it's due to arrive by March.

I am in the process of finding an electrician to do the home charger install and wondering if someone could check the quote below and confirm whether this is a reasonable price or not. Due to my fairly rural location (1 hour from glasgow/stirling) I have struggled to even get to the quote stage of the process. This is my first quote and I think I could get another by the end of the year.

Total Material (Zappi + Hub) - £767
Labour/Install - £900
Total - £1670
VAT - 330
OZEV Grant - 350

I would get a further 250/350 from Scottish government. I didn't expect the labout to be this high but I am obviously going to pay if it seems reasonable. Cost includes a pre visit.

Thanks

Kieran

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of finding an electrician to do the home charger install and wondering if someone could check the quote below and confirm whether this is a reasonable price or not. Due to my fairly rural location (1 hour from glasgow/stirling) I have struggled to even get to the quote stage of the process. This is my first quote and I think I could get another by the end of the year.

Labour/Install - £900
VAT - 330
OZEV Grant - minus 350
Total - £1670

I would get a further 250/350 from Scottish government. I didn't expect the labour to be this high but I am obviously going to pay if it seems reasonable. Cost includes a pre visit and extra cabling.

Thanks

Kieran

Last edited:
Wow. The Zappi price seems about right but the labour seems a lot, how many days is that as materials is listed under the top line zappi + hub?
I would get a better breakdown of materials.

That is very high. Labour for mine was 400 and I thought I had paid close to top money. They were a local setup and were easy to deal with. Did everything I wanted without shortcuts so I was happy.

No other parts other than the Zappi? I would expect cable to be listed.

I paid £600 for my Sync EV installed. They were super responsive and, as long as you don't mind an untethered charger, saved me over £400 from the next cheapest quote for a Hypervolt.

Hi everyone,

Labour/Install - £900
VAT - 330
OZEV Grant - minus 350
Total - £1670

I would get a further 250/350 from Scottish government. I didn't expect the labour to be this high but I am obviously going to pay if it seems reasonable. Cost includes a pre visit and extra cabling.

Thanks

Kieran
Is it a particularly difficult install? A long way or having to re-route cables? Dou you have a spare spot on your consumer unit?

Last edited:
Does it have to be a Zappi?

If not, try Bumblebee for a quote. They were happy to give a quote without a site visit. They used photographs taken by me along with a self drawn diagram to give the quote. I got a wallbox tethered charger fully installed for £400 after both grants.

They might do Zappi installs as well. Worth a try.

That is about what we paid in January 2021. We had a long run to the end of the garden and a trench was dug under a garden path. Have you a lot of extra work needing done?

The cost is higher than most of us have seen but we don't know if we are comparing like for like.
Can you give some detail of what your installation involves?

The cost is higher than most of us have seen but we don't know if we are comparing like for like.
Can you give some detail of what your installation involves?
Yes, please. But unless it's REALLY hard that seems really high. I had mine done 2 years ago, this week actually, and I have to admit, after the grant it cost £89, all in. But like I said it was 2 years ago.

Sounds expensive.

My original Chargemaster one was absolutely free (2014), and I didn't even have an electric car at the time!!! I subsequently go the Ampera which was only 16A (and it was at that point I realised that's what the charger was).

It popped earlier this year so a company replaced the innards for me with state of the art stuff for about £150 IIRC.

That sounds enormously expensive to me, but maybe it's your location. Input from more people nearer to your location would be more useful.

As above, but I found some quotes were "a lot" higher than others. I eventually went for a pod-point on costs alone. It's not the most fully featured, but I don't care. I can plug it in and it has a built-in schedule, which is enough for me :)

No pre-inspection was required (they were happy with the photos supplied) and it was a relatively simple install (fuse box is just inside the front door, and I wanted the charger on the outside wall right behind it).

Total cost invoiced was £949 (I got a £79 discount for some reason)
Less OLEV £350 grant
Less ScotGov £250 grant (which I've still to apply for*)
Total cost to me should be £270

*The only downside I've found with PP is they are incredibly slow at responding to enquiries. I've been waiting for my final, settled, invoice for a few weeks now despite chasing it. I need this to send to the Energy Savings Trust to get the SG £250. I guess they're busy...

PS (Important) to get the ScotGov/EST money you need to use an approved supplier/fitter. They have a list on their website ;)

There is already some discussion on the thread you started yesterday on the same subject...

Hi everyone,

Labour/Install - £900
VAT - 330
OZEV Grant - minus 350
Total - £1670

Thanks

Kieran
Where is this electrician based? You say that you are in a rural location and have struggled to get anyone to quote. As he has included a pre-visit and additional materials into the cost he may also have put travel time/expenses into it. The material price is just for the charger and hub so the installation materials required must have been put into the Labour cost. Also as has already been said he probably doesn't want the hassle and has purposely put a high price in.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom