EV Charger Home Install

Do you definitely want a Zappi? Have you tried just going onto a website like Pod-Point and seeing what they would charge for an installation? Did you investigate Scottish Power like I suggested and discover what they would charge? You need to investigate mate! Try other big companies that install themselves and don’t farm it out to you as the buyer to find your own installer. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say!

Hi everyone,

I placed an order early November for a MG5 and it's due to arrive by March.

I am in the process of finding an electrician to do the home charger install and wondering if someone could check the quote below and confirm whether this is a reasonable price or not. Due to my fairly rural location (1 hour from glasgow/stirling) I have struggled to even get to the quote stage of the process. This is my first quote and I think I could get another by the end of the year.

Total Material (Zappi + Hub) - £767
Labour/Install - £900
VAT - 330
OZEV Grant - minus 350
Total - £1670

I would get a further 250/350 from Scottish government. I didn't expect the labour to be this high but I am obviously going to pay if it seems reasonable. Cost includes a pre visit and extra cabling.

Thanks

Kieran
Hi Kieran, seems a bit high - don't like to tell you but Scottish Power were doing a charger deal and I crossed their palm with 199 pound's in total for the charger and fitting AND I am not a customer of theirs. Might be worth a try (this was including the Scottish grant)

Seems high to me. When I moved home and took my podpoint with me it cost me £400, but obviously already had the charge point. However for the £400 it became apparent that the podpoint installer on previous home had not, let’s say, done as thorough a job (and also left his drill and tools in garage and had to come back for them). The install at new home with a local company was fantastic and involved all cabling, earth rod etc. So £400 for install and materials seems more reasonable, but as others have said depends on complexity of the job. I was lucky in that my outer wall adjacent to drive had main fuse box on the internal side of wall.

Like PonteMG5 I too was lucky with the meter placement in the house next to the drive. My install will involve a dedicated consumer unit and a 7 metres cable run pinned to the external house wall into an installation position in the garage. Cost £552 for an Ohme Home Pro from Voltaev (purchased by me), £150 for materials and just shy of £150 for labour. The electrician will give me back £350 when the grant goes through. Now I know that accessing the grant can be achieved in that way I might have considered the Octopus £298 Ohme cable offer with a commando socket and saved £250.

Now I know that accessing the grant can be achieved in that way I might have considered the Octopus £298 Ohme cable offer with a commando socket and saved £250.
I don't believe it qualifies as it has to be a fixed/permanent installation and doesn't appear on OZEV list.

Still good to know the way you did it works 👍🙂

I was abroad for late Sept/all Oct/early Nov. I was going to buy an OHME cable on my return, they were £199 when I left. By the time I got back they'd gone up to £299. So I didn't bother ( - when I had my EVSE rebuilt I had SONOFF switch built in with a contactor) to work with my Home Assistant, so I can manage the pretty much same functionality anyway)

Hi everyone,

I placed an order early November for a MG5 and it's due to arrive by March.

I am in the process of finding an electrician to do the home charger install and wondering if someone could check the quote below and confirm whether this is a reasonable price or not. Due to my fairly rural location (1 hour from glasgow/stirling) I have struggled to even get to the quote stage of the process. This is my first quote and I think I could get another by the end of the year.

Total Material (Zappi + Hub) - £767
Labour/Install - £900
VAT - 330
OZEV Grant - minus 350
Total - £1670

I would get a further 250/350 from Scottish government. I didn't expect the labour to be this high but I am obviously going to pay if it seems reasonable. Cost includes a pre visit and extra cabling.

Thanks

Kieran
That sounds like a lot - tricky install, a very long cable run and additional hardware? I got a 10m cable Hypervolt, standalone consumer unit and an existing switch moved, etc - for a bit less than that. Might be valid - but if Glasgow based, try PWS Electrical (unless that's who you're using!).

My Quote from I-Protech was £1162 before any grants. Labour was only £290 so yours seems on the high side, however I also have a similar installation to iainfm so may be the reason yours is higher.

Hi everyone.

I contacted electrician to ask for a break down of the labour cost and haven't had a reply!

Thanks for your replies. I am going to phone EDF and Scottish Power after work today to try get something penciled in soon.

Anyone recommend other larger companies that are able to do installs?

It's worth getting quotes directly from the companies that male the chargers too, e.g.

To name a few...

Hi everyone.

I contacted electrician to ask for a break down of the labour cost and haven't had a reply!

Thanks for your replies. I am going to phone EDF and Scottish Power after work today to try get something penciled in soon.

Anyone recommend other larger companies that are able to do installs?
How did you get on, I for one am genuinely interested.

Octopus might be a good source of information, they were very quickly in the EV market

How did you get on, I for one am genuinely interested.

Octopus might be a good source of information, they were very quickly in the EV market
I bought an EV charger from Scottish Power for £600 and they directed me to a local EV company. I filled out a online survey just before Christmas and currently awaiting them to come out and do a site visit due to the non standard install. Still have £1000 to play with compared to the local electrician so glad I started here. Shall update on my progress.

At long last I am getting my Wallbox Pulsar Pro from Scottish Power installed today!

I had a £850 quote from DNO to install a substation which was swiftly queried and a load limiter placed on the charger instead.

The price of £650 (grant included) was much cheaper than private electrician above and highly recommend. Will also get £250 from Scottish government.

Do you actually need a charger? I was without one for a few weeks and now realise that for my use case I could have got by with the granny charger - even when sticking to the Octopus Go 4 hour period most of the time. Maybe a good extension lead and the granny would serve for a while giving you the chance to source more reasonable local labour.
My all up intallation costs - without a grant - was £850. (It is in a very simple location)
Ohme Home Pro £552
Dedicated consumer unit with Type A RCD protection
100A double pole connector block
EV ultra cable £148
Labout £150

Do you actually need a charger? I was without one for a few weeks and now realise that for my use case I could have got by with the granny charger - even when sticking to the Octopus Go 4 hour period most of the time. Maybe a good extension lead and the granny would serve for a while giving you the chance to source more reasonable local labour.
My all up intallation costs - without a grant - was £850. (It is in a very simple location)
Ohme Home Pro £552
Dedicated consumer unit with Type A RCD protection
100A double pole connector block
EV ultra cable £148
Labout £150
In reply to do you need a charger the answer will be different depending on usage. I absolutely could not get by without my home charger, used in conjunction with an Octopus Go Faster 5 hour cheap rate.

I'm on the outskirts of London (with no option of adding solar panels to my property), so went with an Easee One charger and this was the cost breakdown:

1646309427601.png

It was a fairly straight forward install <5m from the master fuse which was already 100A.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom