EV Charger Home Install

At long last I am getting my Wallbox Pulsar Pro from Scottish Power installed today!

I had a £850 quote from DNO to install a substation which was swiftly queried and a load limiter placed on the charger instead.

The price of £650 (grant included) was much cheaper than private electrician above and highly recommend. Will also get £250 from Scottish government.
Went the same route Kpatrick and found it a good box + any problems they are quick to answer and resolve your problems (enjoy the Scottish grant ) !

Here’s an interesting fact to add to this thread. We have requested an easee one charge point for the house and have been quoted £868. This includes the grant reduction. However SSE have been requested to supply our house with a higher amp fuse than we currently have. This is the quote I got from them. It seems our property must first be unlooped from the house we’re attached to. My guess is when the houses were built, to save money they took one cable from the street then took a spur from that to supply the other house. Now to get our own supply they need to dig up the street and do all this. Fortunately it looks like we won’t have to pay for it and our car is not here yet but we have been warned this could take another 6 months to sort out. I would think there would be a lot of households in the same position. According to my dealer I’m not the only one experiencing this.
3B6C9FBB-C4D2-4E51-AD82-F2774DC6F76A.jpeg

I'm thinking myself lucky 'all' I had to sort was some tails and then the DNO to cut back some ivy on a pole to check the connection before upgrading the fuse to 100a.

From what I can tell, unlooping supplies is something they're mandated to do. So they have to suck up the cost of doing so, which includes making good whatever they disturb.

I didn't know looped supplies were even a thing until I started looking, my supply is low voltage overhead lines, that has a pair of cables entering 1 side of a semi then through the loft to the 2nd property, that could have so easily been a single cable and looped to save a fiver.

The main thing is, 80amp should be plenty if you're using a timed charge for off-peak or even 60 amp. During peak hours is where it gets a bit tight on a 60 but most smart chargers have at least the option of a ct clamp to monitor total draw and throttle back. For now my DNO handles fuse upgrades for free, so why wouldn't I request the 100a to cover me for the future, I might want/need a 2nd EV for daily commutes in the household or I might need to charge at peak whilst there is a high demand, best to have the free upgrade whilst it's still free, as I'm sure it won't stay that way the more EVs are taken up.

I'm on the outskirts of London (with no option of adding solar panels to my property), so went with an Easee One charger and this was the cost breakdown:

View attachment 7253

It was a fairly straight forward install <5m from the master fuse which was already 100A.
You had to pay for equipment and tools ??? as well as labour and the charger itself.

You had to pay for equipment and tools ??? as well as labour and the charger itself.
They just used a grouped sundries line for the quote.
It was installed on it's on its own 40A RCD box.
IMG_1271.jpg

However they labelled that line, it was one of the better quotes I'd had. The cheaper ones had only been due to the chargers being more basic (like the Rolec).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom