Ev charging for dummies...🤓 from my American brother 🤨

Captain

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I thought I'd share this video from the other week 😬
it's funny because I used the supposedly most advanced AI text to voice software to clone my voice 🤔
I never realised I was so American 😲😂

I have analysed my annual mileage and charging regime and estimate, using Octopus Go rates, that I would recover the costs of a Wall Charger after 10 years. I am retired so my electricity is mostly used during the day. I also have an aversion to running high current electrical equipment overnight.

Once upon a time washing machines had a 'rinse hold' option which I would use but, perhaps that went out with sealed drums.

My next task is to see if installing Solar Panels is worth it before I expire or they add sufficient value for my heirs.

My next door neighbour has given me all his calculations and says he expects (in an identical house) to recoup his investment in solar/battery/wallbox/variable tariff in four years. He says if you do the lot there is a synergistic effect the amplifies the savings.

My next door neighbour has given me all his calculations and says he expects (in an identical house) to recoup his investment in solar/battery/wallbox/variable tariff in four years. He says if you do the lot there is a synergistic effect the amplifies the savings.
Depending on goverment policy these things can pay a lot quicker....
My heat pump, wall and roof insulation and solar can be claimed back over 10 years up to 60%

3 years ago you could get it all done for free 😳 If you qualified that is 🧐

If I was worried about recouping the cost of a wall charger I wouldn't have bought a new EV as that has depreciated more than the cost of the charger instillation as soon as I drove it off the forecourt.
I got one for the convenience and to know I can safely charge my car without wondering if I'm overloading my wiring.

Solar panels and home battery might be in the future as I have just had a complete new central heating system and double glazing throughout and they will probably give me a better return for my money.

I never realised I was so American
Yes, presumably the AI you used was trained on American voices! Still, it's not too offensive.

Interesting that you just use a granny charger. I bought my wall box while I was waiting for my car to be delivered, and am very happy with it. I don't have the patience for the granny - I tried one when on holiday at a villa in France (important to have a high spec adapter cable), and I seemed to be plugged in the whole time . . .

I'm waiting for all the work to be done on the house because where the charger will go isn't even built yet...😊
So, I thought I'd just see how possible it was with just 5 hours of cheap power overnight.
Weekends is all cheap rate so I charge to 100% and usually it's a few days before I even plug the car in again (I keep the charge maximum at 80% during the week) and I've not charged anywhere else since the summer road trips...

The Ai was hard work, trying to make it pronounce words correctly like SUV...I had to type S.U.V.

Still its all a learning curve 🤓

I think the main advantage of the wall box is to suck up as much cheap electricity as you can. As far as time goes, there are enough non-driving at-home hours to support a fairly decent weekly mileage on a granny charger.

I think the main advantage of the wall box is to suck up as much cheap electricity as you can. As far as time goes, there are enough non-driving at-home hours to support a fairly decent weekly mileage on a granny charger.
Aye for the first few months I relied on Granny with the ZS and it was fine but difficult to keep an eye on the car, the Granny times and the cheap rate off peak power. The current 5LR is much easier. I plug the Roles wall charger in - it’s set up to only charge off peak so I let it carry on by itself really. If I need any extra I can switch to the full rate boost at any time using the app.

I had some idiot shouting at me, if you got back on 33% charge, how long did that take, then? The answer is in fact 18 hours, but who cares? Since I can get 30% into the battery overnight, I would have had 63% by the morning (11.30 to 8.30) if I'd needed it. Assuming I wasn't going to leave immediately on another 100-mile winter round trip, it's not a problem. Make the rest up the following night.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back