EV Charging in Scotland Unfair

omega22

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I live in Aberdeenshire. I have a home charger but our current tariff is 32p per kWh. None of the utility companies will offer cheaper tariffs. There are 2 EVs in our family a ZS and an MG5. We currently charge at our local library. From 8pm-8am it’s 24p per kWh and 47p at other times. How badly are we being let down compared to other parts of the country, especially considering we are regarded as self-sufficient in electricity up here with most of the wind power heading South?

Why are you charging at 32p/kWh when there are night tariffs available for 10p/kWh and under?

We have an Easee home charger and a smart meter. OVO Energy just says

The Charge Anytime bolt on is currently unavailable​

I haven't tried to get a variable tariff, but I haven't heard anyone say they're unavailable round here (Borders, EH46 post code). Any idea how extensive the area of deprivation is? Because I don't think it's the whole of Scotland.

I live in Aberdeenshire. I have a home charger but our current tariff is 32p per kWh. None of the utility companies will offer cheaper tariffs. There are 2 EVs in our family a ZS and an MG5. We currently charge at our local library. From 8pm-8am it’s 24p per kWh and 47p at other times. How badly are we being let down compared to other parts of the country, especially considering we are regarded as self-sufficient in electricity up here with most of the wind power heading South?
Give Octopus a call and ask to transfer to them, then you go on their GO tariff. There are codes to join Octopus that give you £50 credit too.

Everybody put their prices up, Scottish council chargers used to be subsidised by Scotgov but they cannot afford to keep doing that. Aberdeen used to be 28p per kwh on a rapid. Highland used to be 30p, it's now 70 and Perthshire used to be free but now charge. Electricity prices went up massively and at the same time the government subsidy to councils ended so no council can afford to give away power any more.

Yes but I’m talking about cheaper charge at home deals that suppliers are not allowing some Scottish customers to sign up to.

From my own investigations, you need to be very careful of these deals anyway. Remembering that no utility company is going to give you something for nothing. You have to look carefully at where they are clawing back the lost revenue from the overnight rate and whether your power usage means it still works out cheaper for you.
E.G. if you have heavy daytime usage that cannot be postponed till later you will be paying a higher rate than normal for it. Taking in to account daytime usage versus night time savings how much would you actually save over a year?

From my own investigations, you need to be very careful of these deals anyway. Remembering that no utility company is going to give you something for nothing. You have to look carefully at where they are clawing back the lost revenue from the overnight rate and whether your power usage means it still works out cheaper for you.
E.G. if you have heavy daytime usage that cannot be postponed till later you will be paying a higher rate than normal for it. Taking in to account daytime usage versus night time savings how much would you actually save over a year?
That's true, but I'm sure they probably pay less too for energy generation overnight since it all goes toward grid balancing which is to their advantage as well

Decide for yourself, this was a random aberdeen postcode search

abergo.PNG

Thanks for this. I have a combined tariff for electricity & gas. This one is for electric tariff only I see, however it may be possible to switch to this and keep the gas with our current supplier.

Here is Octopus Go statement from the website when I try to sign up. Are the utility companies purposefully making it difficult?

Intelligent Octopus isn't ready for you yet, but it just got one step closer.

You do not have a car or charger that is ready for Intelligent Octopus yet​

We're adding more cars and chargers as quickly as we can, and you've just added another vote for your make and model. If you'd like an invite as soon as Intelligent Octopus is ready for you, please enter​

Here is Octopus Go statement from the website when I try to sign up. Are the utility companies purposefully making it difficult?

Intelligent Octopus isn't ready for you yet, but it just got one step closer.

You do not have a car or charger that is ready for Intelligent Octopus yet​

We're adding more cars and chargers as quickly as we can, and you've just added another vote for your make and model. If you'd like an invite as soon as Intelligent Octopus is ready for you, please enter​

That is for IO not Go.
You only need an EV for Go and any EVSE charge unit.
Phone them and don't forget to quote them a referral code for a £50 credit.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom