EV Charging in Scotland Unfair

Octopus customer service are outstanding they get back to you extremely quickly, best energy company I've been with
I agree they are well regarded and can be excellent but this has not always been my experience.

When we had our smart meter fitted back in November, it was faulty and it took weeks and weeks and lots of phone calls, emails and complaints to get it sorted. I was not a happy bunny.

At this time they were overwhelmed by demand having taken on too many new customers and replies took days and it was far from quick.

It seems they have got a lot better again since and I can well believe they are better than most of the rest notwithstanding my experience.

Just a pity that Octopus has dreadful Customer Service... had a smart meter (latest smets2) issue that they informed me of in January and a phantom £1900 bill above what I was expecting.... harassed at every occasion by their collections team not being able to read notes before making calls... have a complaint number and the promise they would not pursue debt until issue resolved but put it to a 3rd party debt collector. They wanted to charge me for them to inspect the meter. Now going to Ombudsman. God help us if this is allegedly the best customer service for a utility company!
Have you tried messaging the CEO on Twitter? It worked for some others.

I'm ML10 postcode ... the link earlier in this thread shows No Current Deals for my postcode. 🤷‍♂️

I'm ML10 postcode ... the link earlier in this thread shows No Current Deals for my postcode. 🤷‍♂️
I just entered a random ML10 postcode for the West Cauldcoats area and it came up with plenty.
Might be worth trying again, just enter postcode, do nothing else, other than scroll down.
No clicking on things unless you are applying filters.

I tried to switch to Octopus last week, all was ok until I got a message implying id entered the wrong meter type. This was because I recently switched to a smart meter. It came up with a message 'if this seems wrong contact our helpful team here', so I duly used the supplied link, after a couple of days still nothing, so I tried a direct email, which generated an automated response asking for my (octopus) account number or reply and we'll get back to you. Still nothing.
They may be well regarded and spend a lot telling everyone that Which has only recommended them for the last 6 years, but you only get one chance to make a good first impression.

I tried to switch to Octopus last week, all was ok until I got a message implying id entered the wrong meter type. This was because I recently switched to a smart meter. It came up with a message 'if this seems wrong contact our helpful team here', so I duly used the supplied link, after a couple of days still nothing, so I tried a direct email, which generated an automated response asking for my (octopus) account number or reply and we'll get back to you. Still nothing.
They may be well regarded and spend a lot telling everyone that Which has only recommended them for the last 6 years, but you only get one chance to make a good first impression.
If you contact them on social media they get back to you in the same day, from my experience

I just entered a random ML10 postcode for the West Cauldcoats area and it came up with plenty.
Might be worth trying again, just enter postcode, do nothing else, other than scroll down.
No clicking on things unless you are applying filters.
I tried this link:

That one works and gives me:

1690885832433.png

The link from earlier in this thread simply didn't show me any results for Current. (There were results for History).

They dont ask for proof, just ask you if you have an EV.

If your white goods dont have built in delay timers, buy a couple of smart plugs eg TP-Link and set timers on them for 00:30 to 04:30, job done! It's cost effective to run an immersion heater too if you have one.

Yeah, I just did this. I had to demonstrate to myself that the dishwasher can be started then delayed. So the routine is:

• Supply power to the dishwasher
  • Interact with its control panel, start a wash -- you hear it pumping some water
  • Cut off power to the dishwasher
  • Set a timer to resume power when the cheap rate starts
  • Dishwasher resumes and keeps going until it's done

Mine seems to work with this arrangement, and I suppose it makes sense because that's what you'd hope to happen in a power cut.

With a £10 TP-Link smart plug:

• Set a schedule to switch ON at 11:35 daily
  • No schedule to switch OFF
  • When I want the dishwasher to run overnight:
  • Set it up, press start, close the door, hear the pumping
  • "OK Google, Dishwasher off"
  • Schedule resumes the wash at the right time

Cheaper than a new dishwasher! And as well as making the electricity cheaper, probably makes it greener as well; offsetting the fact that it's not the most energy efficient model.

Octopus customer service are outstanding they get back to you extremely quickly, best energy company I've been with

I got instant, helpful responses from the Octopus Electroverse email support.

But I've been with Octopus Energy for a couple of weeks, and they've never replied to an email, except with a robot saying they'll get to me soon.

Yeah, I just did this. I had to demonstrate to myself that the dishwasher can be started then delayed. So the routine is:

• Supply power to the dishwasher
  • Interact with its control panel, start a wash -- you hear it pumping some water
  • Cut off power to the dishwasher
  • Set a timer to resume power when the cheap rate starts
  • Dishwasher resumes and keeps going until it's done

Mine seems to work with this arrangement, and I suppose it makes sense because that's what you'd hope to happen in a power cut.

With a £10 TP-Link smart plug:

• Set a schedule to switch ON at 11:35 daily
  • No schedule to switch OFF
  • When I want the dishwasher to run overnight:
  • Set it up, press start, close the door, hear the pumping
  • "OK Google, Dishwasher off"
  • Schedule resumes the wash at the right time

Cheaper than a new dishwasher! And as well as making the electricity cheaper, probably makes it greener as well; offsetting the fact that it's not the most energy efficient model.
Sounds good, 11:35 seems an odd time?

11:30 is when the cheap rate starts. Just thought I'd allow for clock drift. Irrational, since everything's synced to the internet these days. But old habits die hard and it does no harm.
11:30 or 23:30? If youre on GO is it not 00:30 to 04:30 that you should use?

Decide for yourself, this was a random aberdeen postcode search

View attachment 19308
Correct. I am on Octopus go and only charge at home and at night. The only true way of calculating real cost is to acknowledge that daytime use IS more expensive and average the total cost. On my calc my actual cost for electricity is 27p per kWh overall. My night useage is about 40% of total. So the real cost of running my EV is 27p Per kWh used equating to about 8p per mile travelled. Accurate and fact.

I have a MG5 and charge off the granny charger. Installed a outdoor smartsocket(BG Amazon) to turn on and off from my phone. Currently on the Agile tariff where the price changes every 30mins charge when price is low, most nights it is under 15pkwh but as my milage has been low, been charging at weekends for less than 4p kWh and it even been -ve pricing so been paid to charge!. I Use Octopus watch app to look at savings. Based in Scotland,Fife. Also I use IFTTT automation to track price, and it triggers the socket on and off when electric is below 8p, but accept you need to be confident in using smart home automation. Screen shot shows savings

Attachments

• IMG_6937.jpeg
    IMG_6937.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 51
Thanks for this. I have a combined tariff for electricity & gas. This one is for electric tariff only I see, however it may be possible to switch to this and keep the gas with our current supplier.
We have both electric and gas and had this but we have solar and finally got the longer night-time charge for ev rate but now getting lower kickback for excess sold back (was already a lower rate than we would have to pay( and higher rate at oeak times (mid afternoon to about 10pm)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom