EV Charging in Scotland Unfair

Uneducated guess here, older dumb chargers will probably outlive smart chargers just because they are dumb. Less fancy electronics to go wrong.
Actually there isnt less to go wrong except potentially a display and maybe a pushbutton. The wallboxes still need a microprocessor inside to control it's operation and to communicate with the car, the additional smart features such as load balance, scheduling etc are simply software which doesnt degrade over time.

Actually there isnt less to go wrong except potentially a display and maybe a pushbutton. The wallboxes still need a microprocessor inside to control it's operation and to communicate with the car, the additional smart features such as load balance, scheduling etc are simply software which doesnt degrade over time.
Don't they additionally have components to access phone signal/WiFi which could become faulty ?

Don't they additionally have components to access phone signal/WiFi which could become faulty ?
They may well do but unlikely to go faulty, if they do it would just revert to a dumb charger with one caveat, it's a smart charger that relies on a connection to the manufacturers server eg Hive I believe.

Probably the biggest factor in how long wall boxes last is the weather. Mine had to be installed on an exposed south facing wall so it gets the full sun and hammered by the rain and snow which is why I've put a roof over it.
IMG_20230809_095017880_HDR.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom