EVERY WARNING LIGHT ON DASH AND VEHICLE WONT MOVE OUT OF PARK !

stanway1908

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
This morning I tried to open my car using both keys and had no response from the vehicle, I then tried the app and this wasn’t connecting with the vehicle.

I left the vehicle a few hours and after 5 hours the vehicle opened using the key but when I went into the drivers seat every warning light was on the dash and the vehicle would not move from P into either drive or Reverse.

Vehicle gear selection is showing EP not sure what this means but the vehicle is just alerting me to every fault !!

Vehicle is a standard range MG4, bought in September 2023 and done around 10000 miles !

Going to have to get the vehicle recovered to MG.

Anyone experienced this issue or has any ideas on what it could be ?

Not got much trust in Arnold Clark MG.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 139
my money is on the 12v battery : its too low (I get this on all my ICE cars over winter - if I haven't used them for months). Just call out the AA who should hopefully sort this? (but if you have a battery charger - give it a go? - I have one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0828HMG3N : not that I've needed this on the MG4)

The app is showing the battery as being at 12.3 volts but then it’s probably not sending correct messages with the current amount of faults showing up on the dash !

Got recovery arranged for tomorrow morning maybe a boost of the battery will solve it just not confident due to the amount of faults showing on the dash ?

The app is showing the battery as being at 12.3 volts but then it’s probably not sending correct messages with the current amount of faults showing up on the dash !

Got recovery arranged for tomorrow morning maybe a boost of the battery will solve it just not confident due to the amount of faults showing on the dash ?
12.3 V seems okay - Ive just checked mine which is showing 13.9v (via the in car display))

Has some similarities to my issue, I also got a dash full of warnings and could not move out of park. However my keys always worked and the issue would resolve itself after some time. The eventual fix was to replace the "gateway module".

This morning I tried to open my car using both keys and had no response from the vehicle, I then tried the app and this wasn’t connecting with the vehicle.

I left the vehicle a few hours and after 5 hours the vehicle opened using the key but when I went into the drivers seat every warning light was on the dash and the vehicle would not move from P into either drive or Reverse.

Vehicle gear selection is showing EP not sure what this means but the vehicle is just alerting me to every fault !!

Vehicle is a standard range MG4, bought in September 2023 and done around 10000 miles !

Check the 12v battery terminals are tight.

Has some similarities to my issue, I also got a dash full of warnings and could not move out of park. However my keys always worked and the issue would resolve itself after some time. The eventual fix was to replace the "gateway module".
Was this replaced and covered by the MG warranty ??

Check the 12v battery terminals are tight.t

Check the 12v battery terminals are tight.
Terminals are all tight , I have a feeling this is a bigger issue due to the car showing all the warning signals and not moving out of Park,

Useless fact of the day :
Did you know the direction of electron flow can eventually loosen screws 🤔
....or at least that was what I (🤡) was told on my electricians course by a tutor 🤷, leading to a increase of resistance and potentially fire... ( or malfunctioning MG4 S/W ? 🤔 ) . Always make sure you got tight nuts 😉
(Disclaimer : It's early and I've had a weird few days)

Can you manage to do a full power off from the dash? Kind of sounds like it needs a switch off/on reset possibly?

Another thing to try is to disconnect the 12v battery for a couple of minutes. When its reconnected you'll get a lot of warning messages. These will disappear if you can drive it. The steering will also have to be turned lock to lock a couple of times and the window limiters reset.

The next step is, as you say, to get the car recovered.

What’s the best way to do this ?
If you go into settings ( cog symbol) on the infotainment screen. I think it's right at the bottom iirc
Power off

If you go into settings ( cog symbol) on the infotainment screen. I think it's right at the bottom iirc
Power off
.... Then climb out of the car. Leave it 30 seconds. When you get back in it should power up as normal when it detects bum on seat

Do you have contact details for MG ?
I just took it back to my dealer/service center. I'm in Australia. MG Australia are next to impossible to contact directly, not sure what it's like over there.
Power off
When my car was in this state (lots of warnings on the dash + couldn't drive) this button wasn't available. The text/row in the UI was there but the red button was missing.

When my car was in this state (lots of warnings on the dash + couldn't drive) this button wasn't available. The text/row in the UI was there but the red button was missing.

😳 That's proper throwing a wobbly....
....and so it begins - Skynet ( cue threatening theme tune )

Apologies, just got in the car.
It's car symbol, safety option
2nd menu option Power Off ( under Autohold).

Just in case you can get to it 🤞

Was this replaced and covered by the MG warranty ??

Terminals are all tight , I have a feeling this is a bigger issue due to the car showing all the warning signals and not moving out of Park,
Sounds like the 12V battery wasn’t charging and the voltage has dipped low enough to trip all the alarms etc., but when you leave it the voltage recovers just enough to allow you to unlock the car but the. It dips again.

Leaving something on (like headlights or an open door) will drain the battery but it won’t charge unless you can start the “engine”.

Either beg borrow or steal a jump start pack (AA should do that if nothing local) or use jump leads to any car, or disconnect the -VE lead (black one) from the 12V battery and charge it. Its the same as an ICE car so an ordinary car charger is fine.

Give it a couple of hours on the charger or if jump started then straight away, drive it for a few miles to get some charge in the battery.
The alarms won’t clear straight away, so use caution and drive back home before switching off. Then lock the car and unlock after a couple of minutes and drive again - all alarms will clear within a mile or so (if they haven’t already).

Sounds like the 12V battery wasn’t charging and the voltage has dipped low enough to trip all the alarms etc., but when you leave it the voltage recovers just enough to allow you to unlock the car but the. It dips again.

Leaving something on (like headlights or an open door) will drain the battery but it won’t charge unless you can start the “engine”.

Either beg borrow or steal a jump start pack (AA should do that if nothing local) or use jump leads to any car, or disconnect the -VE lead (black one) from the 12V battery and charge it. Its the same as an ICE car so an ordinary car charger is fine.

Give it a couple of hours on the charger or if jump started then straight away, drive it for a few miles to get some charge in the battery.
The alarms won’t clear straight away, so use caution and drive back home before switching off. Then lock the car and unlock after a couple of minutes and drive again - all alarms will clear within a mile or so (if they haven’t already).
Big drain culprit is a dashcam, if set to parking mode (always powered on)

When the brake is not pressed firmly for startup on the standard XS EV, then the gear knob won't move. Press the brake and start button again. The error messages may be connected. I get them occasionally, and after no help from MG, now just turn the car off and start again. It's a computer - treat it like one when it doesn't start properly.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back