EVERY WARNING LIGHT ON DASH AND VEHICLE WONT MOVE OUT OF PARK !

I had something very similar over the long weekend - I needed to move the car about two feet forward on our drive so we could get the bin out from behind it for collection the next day. Because I hadn't put on my seatbelt, the car refused to do anything. So, are you wearing your seatbelt? It surprised me, and took me a minute to realise what was happening.

This is inconsistent though. I often hop in the car to drive it out of the garage and on to the drive, and it doesn't worry about the seat belt. (And if I go on, it starts boinging at me after about 15 mph, but doesn't stop.)

This is inconsistent though. I often hop in the car to drive it out of the garage and on to the drive, and it doesn't worry about the seat belt. (And if I go on, it starts boinging at me after about 15 mph, but doesn't stop.)
+1. Not 100% sure but I think it's after you've been parked (P) for a certain period of time it allows you manouver slowly in D or R without belting up and only bongs if you speed up and are "driving".
If you've "driven" (>15mph?) recently and then go to P it sees it as part of "driving" so stops you engaging D or R.

Nope, hadn't driven it all day. @Rolfe ours is a Trophy, not an SE, so maybe that's the difference. It definitely wasn't having any of it without the seatbelt on.

Last edited:
I have experienced the car refusing to move without the seat belt on though. I just don't know what logic it's using.

Once I was in a hand car wash, on autohold so I could let the car creep when waved forwards. I realised my handbag was on the back seat and I needed it to pay. So I put the car in park, undid the belt, and reached behind for my bag. The car refused to creep to the next station until I'd re-fastened the belt.

Not sure about the Trophy version, but for the lower spec versions, enter the car, ready mode, put in neutral, manually release handbrake, hold on footbrake, then it will drive and reverse without seatbelt when selected .(y)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back