Simple rules: -

Turn off car, get out, close all doors & windows - check (kids not quite closing a door etc)
Read & follow the instructions, they're all annoyingly different.

Be next to the CCS plug when you activate & listen for it locking. Sometimes you need to lock your car at the right moment just after you activate charge, can be a real pain to get right. Older chargers are really bad for this. The handshake between the car & charger is an issue, especially as the MG5 is a tad slow in initiating a charge!

Sometimes, there is another step the instructions just forget to mention!

I was just browsing the hundreds (well, tens) of EV apps I've downloaded over the months and re-discovered Electroverse (the Octopus one).

Do any of those who do more public charging than me have an opinion on how it stacks up against ZapMap, my usual go-to app for finding chargers? I mean reliability of finding working chargers etc rather than using it for paying.
Electroverse is excellent, especially on Ionity. I used it in France so no pre payment or card issues.

Thankyou all for your help. Appreciate all of your comments.
Rapid chargers are a nightmare, after our trip from Leeds to Cornwall I had to seriously persuade my wife to keep our ZS. The system is shambolic with something like 20 suppliers many with different methods of operating & not properly regulated. They are all supposed to accept contactless credit cards. Many don't. When we got to Peterboro services the 6 ionity chargers were taken so we had to wait 1hr then register on their app with our credit card details which took 10mins in the rain - never any covers!.
Best thing is to use zapmap to plan your journey - shows postcode, charger & payment type & usually whether broken or occupied. If you need an app u can download it & register pre journey. You can also post comments to help future users.

I'm two weeks into having my MG and also haven't had any luck with the rapid chargers (anything with CCS or above 50kwh). So far I've only managed to get granny charger and 22kwh ones to work and the latter only at 6.98kwh speeds. So not a great experience so far but will hopefully get there!

I'm two weeks into having my MG and also haven't had any luck with the rapid chargers (anything with CCS or above 50kwh). So far I've only managed to get granny charger and 22kwh ones to work and the latter only at 6.98kwh speeds. So not a great experience so far but will hopefully get there!
On T2 the MG5 will only charge at 7kw (6.6kw to battery) whatever the rating. Few EVs will pull more, some do 11kw and only the Zoe does 22kw, so they are a waste of £££ really as nobody can use them, bar old Zoe owners!

Find a quiet Instavolt and have a play as it is contactless by card. If the battery is really cold it might only pull 35kw but once warm 96kw can be achieved, so longer your trip, faster the charging speed!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom