Fast charging

TrevH

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Can I fast charge the battery on my HS hybrid at a charging point? I have the correct type 2charging lead? Or do I have to leave it there for 5 hours to fully charge?

Hi, Fast charging uses the type2 AC cable which can take a few hours. Rapid Charging uses the CCS DC connection and will be done in 30 minutes.

Hi, Fast charging uses the type2 AC cable which can take a few hours. Rapid Charging uses the CCS DC connection and will be done in 30 minutes.
Hi, many thanks. I’m new to these hybrid cars so forgive my ignorance but what is a CCS DC connection and do I need to buy another cable or are they on the charging units?

Hi, many thanks. I’m new to these hybrid cars so forgive my ignorance but what is a CCS DC connection and do I need to buy another cable or are they on the charging units?
CCS is the type of large fixed charging gun that you will find on a rapid charging unit.
No you do not need one of these cables, they are tethered to the unit.
PHEV’s are happy on a A/C public post or at home on a wall box or even the supplied Granny cable with the car, as the charging speeds are low at 3.5 Kw’s.
I owned a PHEV for four years and never really bothered public charging TBH.
Never seen the point in tying up the charger when you have a petrol engine on board.
Leave the charger free for full EV’s was my train of thought.

I wonder, is it worthwhile putting a mg charging box on the wall for my mg hs phev. I have just been using the granny charger at 1.8k, so will a wallbox charge it at 3.6kw ? A 7kw wallbox costs just under $1k plus install herein NZ.

Last edited:
You could be right I’m not sure myself hopefully someone on here can advise. I will look into it and let you know.

I believe that regardless of what AC power is supplied the car is limited by its own system. I can put my Trophy on a 22kW AC charger and it will top out at around 10kW, the cars limit. Is I would imagine the HS would just take 3.6 from a 7kW wall charger.

Right now I'm charging on the granny charger and its around 1800w or 1.8 kw. So if the wall charger was at 3.6kw - double the granny charger it would be a good improvement, BUT is it worth spending $1k plus install to get it ..hmmm.
The other point is how would I communicate with it as the HS phev doesnt work with Mg ismart app ( its a pity MG cant fix that )

mgchargingsmall.jpg

Thanks, but does it charge quicker on a wall charger?
Yes, if I use the granny charger I get around 1.8-2 kW per hour, so it would take around 30 hours to charge my MG4 from 0 to 100%, on a wall charger I average just over 6kW per hour so would take 10 hours to achieve the same. But the HS tops out at 3.6 kW per hour, I believe, so the it would halve the time to fully charge over the granny, as opposed to 1/3 for the MG4.

Right now I'm charging on the granny charger and its around 1800w or 1.8 kw. So if the wall charger was at 3.6kw - double the granny charger it would be a good improvement, BUT is it worth spending $1k plus install to get it ..hmmm.
I understand your quandary, our solar panels put out 3.7 kW at best so a wall charger will use the grid to make up the difference, unless I tell the car to limit the ac current. So I just use the granny charger for longer, if I need the get the car charged quickly I'm 5 miles from some DC chargers and £1k buys quite a few kWh even at the expensive rate of 75p per kWh. Of course this may change come the winter and I'll wish I had a wall charger.

I understand your quandary, our solar panels put out 3.7 kW at best so a wall charger will use the grid to make up the difference, unless I tell the car to limit the ac current. So I just use the granny charger for longer, if I need the get the car charged quickly I'm 5 miles from some DC chargers and £1k buys quite a few kWh even at the expensive rate of 75p per kWh. Of course this may change come the winter and I'll wish I had a wall charger.
Our solar panels can put out 5kw and we also have a tesla powerwall battery and free power from 9pm to midnight 7 days. So I have a few options,the 3 hrs free power is enough to charge the car with the granny charger if it has more than 50% battery and if needed I can start the charge once the sun goes down from the powerwall battery as it will fill up again at 9pm :)
But its a bit of mucking around so if I could communicate with the wall charger it would be one less step. and the 3 hrs on the wall charger @ 3.6kw would almost fill it.. hmm.
Right now I have a wifi plug connected to the granny charger so I can use it to stop and start the charger :) But a wall charger would probably be safer just so long as I could communicate with it and set charging schedules..

Do any of the wall chargers allow scheduling ? If i get a wall charger I need to be able to schedule it to start at 9pm when I get free power and turn off at midnight ... The MG wall chargers dont by the look of it..

Thanks, but does it charge quicker on a wall charger?
As others have said a wall box will be faster than the supplied Granny lead.
Some companies will offer you a 3.5 Kw wall box if you have PHEV as the onboard charger can only handle 3.5 Kw’s.
But I would strongly recommend that you go for a wall box that is 7.0Kw’s instead.
The extra cost to me was only about £30 at the time of my install.
We had a VW PHEV at the time and of course having a 7kw unit was over kill.
But consider if you replace your PHEV in the future for a full BEV your 3.4 Kw wall box will still only charge at 3.5 kw’s !.
So future proof yourself and go for the 7.0Kw wall box !.
Assuming your home electrical system can accommodate it of course.
Another advantage of having a wall box and a Granny unit, is that you now have a second means of charging your car, should one of units develops a fault.

As others have said a wall box will be faster than the supplied Granny lead.
Some companies will offer you a 3.5 Kw wall box if you have PHEV as the onboard charger can only handle 3.5 Kw’s.
But I would strongly recommend that you go for a wall box that is 7.0Kw’s instead.
The extra cost to me was only about £30 at the time of my install.
We had a VW PHEV at the time and of course having a 7kw unit was over kill.
But consider if you replace your PHEV in the future for a full BEV your 3.4 Kw wall box will still only charge at 3.5 kw’s !.
So future proof yourself and go for the 7.0Kw wall box !.
Assuming your home electrical system can accommodate it of course.
Another advantage of having a wall box and a Granny unit, is that you now have a second means of charging your car, should one of units develops a fault.
Thanks for the advice, Yes I think I will go for the 7kw wallbox. Just have to find one that lets me schedule off/on times inthe app :)

The other point is how would I communicate with it as the HS phev doesnt work with Mg ismart app ( its a pity MG cant fix that )

View attachment 20565
@Cafeg thanks for the image, so is this an app that connects to a walll charger? I’m keen to find a way to track usage so I can claim through work.

Last edited:
I wired up my own independent power supply with a timer set to come on overnight during cheap rate. I have the supplied MG "granny charger" fixed to my car shelter. When it needs charging I simply plug the charger in and lock the car and the power comes on when the timer allows during cheap rate. When I get up at 0700 in the morning, the car is nicely fully charged-no problems. This system works well for me. I never bother with charging when "out and about".

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom