Faults after jump starting MG ZS EV

Call me “Old School” if you like, but with a habit taken from our original ZS EV.
I never sit with our facelift in standby mode, if I am waiting to pick up somebody !.
Just leave the car in READY mode and you're safe.
I do this, even though I carry a 12 volt battery jumper pack under my seat 🤣.
Much easier to avoid giving yourself a headache in the first place !.
These EV mobile computers that we all love to drive, can be a little temperamental and like to throw a bit of a tantrum now and again.
The other day, I was doing the school pick up of our grand daughters.
Sitting there with the car in READY mode and the heater / info unit / wipers etc all going away at it.
I went to adjust the fan blower speed in the HVAC screen and noticed that I had no LED temperature control or fan speed LED showing ???.
Both small read outs sections where completely missing !.
That’s a new one, I thought 💭.
Had to go thorough the normal close down routine, while sat in the seat.
Foot on the foot brake and close down the car, locked the doors with the fob and waited a couple of minutes.
Foot back on the foot brake and booted up the car into the ready condition again.
Head unit did a full automatic reboot from scratch and both read outs reappeared ?.
Control now restored to both of the HVAC settings.
Odd to say the least 🤣.

Last edited by a moderator:
When my ZS TC expired at a rogue charger the last throw of the dice for the 12v was a display of flashing lights. I thought the car might explode! The garage cleared the fault codes and said the 12v battery had run down to 3v. They recharged the battery and it is still going strong 6 months later,
On that occasion the AA authorised a 2 nights hotel stay and they offered the option of a rental car from Enterprise. I think it was an option of one or the other.

In all fairness, the car DOES offer the driver a warning message on the dash panel and a warning "Bong" to let you know IF you are in standby mode with electrical equipment running in the back ground.
It flags up as HV battery disconnected, or something close to this wording.
Reminding you that power is being used from the 12 volt battery and is NOT being replaced basically.
You can witness this happening, if you are in standby mode and then have a lot of 12 volt items running together.
Go into your menu's in the dash panel, until you get to the screen that displays your tyre pressure status and your 12 volt battery condition.
As time passes by you can witness for yourself, the 12 volt battery voltage slowly dropping !.
Now, put your foot on the brake and boot the car into READY mode.
Watch as the 12 volt battery voltage starts to climb again as the traction battery then provides charge to the 12 volt battery.
If you are going to be parked up for some time, just leave the car in READY mode and you're sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello fellow MG ZS EV owners... Update. I have sent my car in MG today. And this afternoon, I gor an update. They said they need to change the battery then run a road test to make sure nothing else was damaged. Unfortunately, they are going to charge me with £261. I asked them why is it not covered with warranty. They said they found burnt marks on the arc which means it was jump started incorrectly. Damn... The tint shop fudgeed me good. 😭

Did you follow the "Emergency Starting Procedure" in the Emergency Information section of the handbook precisely?

Battery voltage on the 12V battery does not seem low on the screen, 13.6 volts should be enough for it to not be a problem.

The car is in the Ready mode so this will be charger voltage, not battery.

As I opened the bonnet, I saw this on the edge, just lying around. Do you know if this is part of the unit? Hopefully not.
Massive thread resurrection, but I stumbled on this when looking at what that piece of plastic is. It is the thing that Noco Boost Clamps clip onto in the box.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom