Faults on 23 plate MG4

KH11

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Just as a matter of interest what faults are appearing on 23 Plate MG4’s? Are they less than the 72 plate ones. Just wondering if a lot of the issues that popped up with them have now been resolved.

Hmm well personally I don’t have many of the issues mentioned here, but an auto-hold failure warning has popped up once or twice, clearing after locking and unlocking the car again. Also the app practically never connects. I first assumed this was a signal issue outside my house but now I’m not so sure. If auto hold persists I’ll tell the dealer. Apart from that very happy as from a driving perspective it’s a great car.

Just trying to get everything ready at home including home charger already purchased a charging cable for out and about. I have been watching the threads with all the faults that people are having and wondering if these were primarily with the 72 plate cars and if a lot of these have been resolved with the 23 plate ones.

Earliest I will be looking at purchasing would be September or I might leave it while the 24 plate models.

No faults on mine per se, although I do have the same bugs in the software that others have - bluetooth connectivity, CarPlay occasional reboots, etc...

ACC seems to work well on dual carriageways and motorways but gets confused by oncoming traffic on single carriageways, so I turn it off.

I disable the speed limit recognition each journey and disable LKA if I am travelling on the Devon lanes.

Once in a while the SOS phone errors but it resets pretty quickly.

These are all minor annoyances slowly being fixed by updates.

It appears any cars built November 2022 onwards have been devoid of most of the faults that are plaguing the earlier built ones. As tsedge (who has beaten me to it again :ROFLMAO: ) says there are the odd software faults which are slowly being rectified by updates.

Yes, we are not seeing new faults come up much at all, which is especially good given the massive expansion of sales.

Biggest concern at the moment is this speed limiting issue particularly with SR cars, which has safety implications, we don't yet understand it and there doesn't seem to be a fix.

That’s good to hear. I’m really interested in getting the Trophy. I currently have a Corsa Griffin which has a good spec and to try and replicate that plus a little bit more besides then the Trophy is the one for me.

I have been enjoying the threads on here and doing my research and the MG 4 looking at YouTube is full of good reviews for it.

That’s good to hear. I’m really interested in getting the Trophy. I currently have a Corsa Griffin which has a good spec and to try and replicate that plus a little bit more besides then the Trophy is the one for me.

I have been enjoying the threads on here and doing my research and the MG 4 looking at YouTube is full of good reviews for it.
Do a bit of research on dealers because a good one makes all the difference and go for a test drive if you haven't already.

I have only had the car about two weeks and so far it has been great. I have left all the normal ‘start-up’ settings in place and not had any problems, even the ACC and LKA seems to work fine for me. I have found the auto hold fault warning only occurs if I try to put the car into ready mode before the system has fully booted up and it easily removed by locking the car and starting again with a little more patience.

Picked up a Smurf Trophy yesterday so not exactly a huge spectrum of experience so far but nothing to report really yet. Build date was 16th January I think?
Main niggles so far are that the software doesn’t believe in the existence of right hand drive vehicles at any level seemingly. Hoping for a software update at some point for that.
iSmart connects fine so far in suburban London, got the Amazon basics cable that fixed the Carplay not connecting for setup at all, no sign of any LKA interference really yet and everything is pretty much still on?, no oil that I’ve seen..still keeping an eye out for any other established niggles.

1 major characteristic todate, 7000miles in:- LKA is awful, but am lucky as mine defaults to off - early version delivered 30/9/22

BW J.

Last edited:
I've not received my car yet as it had some software issues before delivery so software problem seem to be the main thing, better than the 22 issues imo.

IIRC, the Corsa Griffin was an end-of-line clearance model, where Vauxhall emptied the options list into the standard car.

No faults on mine per se, although I do have the same bugs in the software that others have - bluetooth connectivity, CarPlay occasional reboots, etc...

ACC seems to work well on dual carriageways and motorways but gets confused by oncoming traffic on single carriageways, so I turn it off.

I disable the speed limit recognition each journey and disable LKA if I am travelling on the Devon lanes.

Once in a while the SOS phone errors but it resets pretty quickly.

These are all minor annoyances slowly being fixed by updates.

I think my wife may have got the SOS error yesterday. I wasn't in the car. How exactly does it manifest? She struggled to explain it, I think mainly because it was a shortlived message and she was driving at the time.

I think my wife may have got the SOS error yesterday. I wasn't in the car. How exactly does it manifest? She struggled to explain it, I think mainly because it was a shortlived message and she was driving at the time.
I think it's when it can't connect to the phone signal but as soon as it picks up a new mast it corrects itself.

It can do an amber or a red fault, shown by an icon (phone I think) in the drivers screen an accompanied by a scary sounding mesage about SOS system failure.

Sometimes I get the amber then the red, sometimes just the amber. It seems related to signal but also doesn't reliably fail in the same places, so I am pretty sure it buggy. Fairly soon after the system resets and then it is fine.

I have had it maybe 5 times in 2 months.

It can do an amber or a red fault, shown by an icon (phone I think) in the drivers screen an accompanied by a scary sounding mesage about SOS system failure.

Sometimes I get the amber then the red, sometimes just the amber. It seems related to signal but also doesn't reliably fail in the same places, so I am pretty sure it buggy. Fairly soon after the system resets and then it is fine.

I have had it maybe 5 times in 2 months.

Yep. This definitely sounds like what happened. That's reassuring (although is hopefully fixed) 👍

IIRC, the Corsa Griffin was an end-of-line clearance model, where Vauxhall emptied the options list into the standard car.
They did extend the Griffin to other models after. There was talk about them having a Corsa Griffin electric as well. The current Corsa E hasn’t got as great a range as the MG4.

It appears any cars built November 2022 onwards have been devoid of most of the faults that are plaguing the earlier built ones. As tsedge (who has beaten me to it again :ROFLMAO: ) says there are the odd software faults which are slowly being rectified by updates.
It’s reassuring to hear that most of the faults have been resolved with the latter models. I haven’t yet had a test drive but I have visited my local showroom and sat in the trophy and had a good chat with the salesman about the car. I am not at the point of purchasing yet.

I am currently looking at getting the home charger fitted. I have Northern Power Grid coming tomorrow to do a site survey and got my install booked in for the 5 May.

Once everything is set up at home then I can look a bit more closely into it. I wasn’t thinking of moving on it much before September and I even may hold off until the 24 plates come out.

As and when I do take the plunge it will be the biggest outlay that I will have made for a car and haven’t decided fully what route I’m going to go down regarding PCP or a mixture of drawing out of the pension pot coupled with a loan.

So my focus is getting the home infrastructure in place and paying for our holidays first before taking it any further.

Thank you everyone for your feedback it’s been much appreciated.

Hi new to the electric car got the mg4 trophy long range 23 plate love the car got the ohme home pro charger fitted and octopus energy with 10p a kw so pay about £4 every few days to charge the car back to 80%
Faults upto now apart from the lane assist trying to kill me
Bluetooth not remembering my phone
The radar that shows cars and bikes has stopped showing going back to garage next week so they can check it out

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back