Faulty USB-C ports?

ajcooper

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
We've just picked up our new MG ZS EV Trophy long range today, and pretty happy so far. Aside from the common issue of not being able to register the app, we seem to have an issue with our USB-C ports. Both the front and back ports are failing to provide power or connect to the phone. The USB-A ports work fine. I've tried multiple cables and a couple of phones. The cables were official cables, not dodgy knockoffs.

Waiting to hear from the dealer but wondered if anyone else had encounter similar issues.

We've just picked up our new MG ZS EV Trophy long range today, and pretty happy so far. Aside from the common issue of not being able to register the app, we seem to have an issue with our USB-C ports. Both the front and back ports are failing to provide power or connect to the phone. The USB-A ports work fine. I've tried multiple cables and a couple of phones. The cables were official cables, not dodgy knockoffs.

Waiting to hear from the dealer but wondered if anyone else had encounter similar issues.
Make sure your USB cable is a 3.0, standard cables are only 2.0.

The USB C ports will not connect the phone to the car. They’re for power only. Sounds like you may have an issue that needs the dealer looking at it.

The USB C ports will not connect the phone to the car. They’re for power only. Sounds like you may have an issue that needs the dealer looking at it.
Thanks Dave. Got it booked in with the dealer for them to take a look at. At least the other USB port is working so I've got Android Auto up and running.

Did you get the USB C issue reolved? I have a Trophy Connect SR and both USB C ports provide maximum of about 200 mA which varies widely all the time from 20mA to 200mA whereas the USB A ports are providing nearly 2 amps steady

Did you get the USB C issue reolved? I have a Trophy Connect SR and both USB C ports provide maximum of about 200 mA which varies widely all the time from 20mA to 200mA whereas the USB A ports are providing nearly 2 amps steady
The UBS-C ports wouldn't connect to my phone using a standard USB-C to USB-C cable. I ended up having to get a USB-C to USB adaptor, and then use a USB to USB-C cable. Only that way would the phone charge via the USB-C port.

The UBS-C ports wouldn't connect to my phone using a standard USB-C to USB-C cable. I ended up having to get a USB-C to USB adaptor, and then use a USB to USB-C cable. Only that way would the phone charge via the USB-C port.
This sounds like a phone issue... some phones don't like usb-c to usb-c. did you try another device in there? Assuming if you had to do it this way round the garage found no faults with the ports?

This sounds like a phone issue... some phones don't like usb-c to usb-c. did you try another device in there? Assuming if you had to do it this way round the garage found no faults with the ports?
Not a phone problem, unless all four phones I tested had the same issue!
The garage had to use an adaptor as well for their iPhone lightening cable.

Not a phone problem, unless all four phones I tested had the same issue!
The garage had to use an adaptor as well for their iPhone lightening cable.
sounds like they need to replace some components then as I don't have any issues with my USB-C ports in my new ZS EV

Last time i tried charging a phone using the USB-C connector in the front it did nothing as well. Same cable and phone charged fine in the rear USB-C slot so probably not a cable/phone problem.

Last time i tried charging a phone using the USB-C connector in the front it did nothing as well. Same cable and phone charged fine in the rear USB-C slot so probably not a cable/phone problem.
sounds like a dodgy port. Sounds daft, but did you try the plug the other way round (I know they should be able to be used either way round, but stranger things have happened)

Neither of my usb c ports work to charge either. Have tried multiple leads, which work elsewhere with iPad and no joy.

Oh I see, thought usb c was better for charging. It works on standard usb
In that case I’m not sure. I know that if you try to charge an iPad with an iPhone power brick (5w) the iPad either won’t charge at all or will charge very slowly.

Oh I see, thought usb c was better for charging. It works on standard usb
On paper the USB-C port is able to deliver more wattage than the older types, but nowadays, most every manufacturer have their own proprietary "fast charger" protocol, and if the charger does not respond then the device will assume that the charger is a "slow charger" and only draw a fraction of what the port is actually able to deliver.

This is actually a good thing, we dont want someone to buy a cheap USB cable on alibaba, with not a lot of copper in it, and then the device tries to suck 60 Watts, making the cable light up like a lightbulb.

Oneplus for example, have their own proprietary protocol called warp charging, the charger will have to be able to do a handshake to prove it is able to do the wattage then phone or tablet wants, and it also needs a cable with a chip inside, that essentially says "Yeah, i am a capable cable, bring it on".

Qualcomm has their own protocol, apple has theirs, Samsung has a different one and so on.

Some of the "cheaper" brands use the Qualcomm one so any QC2/3 charger will be a fast charger for those phones.

It would be nice if every brand and make would use the same protocol, like EV's do now, where a CCS charger can charge any CCS capable car, and both the charger and the car, can say "I can handle this and that much" and they just charge at the fastest speed both car and charger can agree on.

I can confirm that the USB-C ports in my ZS EV do charger devices 🤷‍♂️
Glad to hear that, I was wondering what exactly the USB-C ports were for if they didn't, as it appears the other (larger) USB port is the one for data, or have I got that the wrong way round ? :unsure:

Glad to hear that, I was wondering what exactly the USB-C ports were for if they didn't, as it appears the other (larger) USB port is the one for data, or have I got that the wrong way round ? :unsure:
Yeah the USB-A port is the only one that will connect with AA or CP... but I can confirm that the USB-C ports "should" (unless yours is faulty) provide enough power to slow charge an iPad Air 4 as mine does... it's not going to be quick and I often tend to favour a 12v cigarette lighter adapter, but it's enough for people in the back to be able to do stuff without draining the battery of their devices.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom