Faulty USB-C ports?

On paper the USB-C port is able to deliver more wattage than the older types, but nowadays, most every manufacturer have their own proprietary "fast charger" protocol, and if the charger does not respond then the device will assume that the charger is a "slow charger" and only draw a fraction of what the port is actually able to deliver.

This is actually a good thing, we dont want someone to buy a cheap USB cable on alibaba, with not a lot of copper in it, and then the device tries to suck 60 Watts, making the cable light up like a lightbulb.

Oneplus for example, have their own proprietary protocol called warp charging, the charger will have to be able to do a handshake to prove it is able to do the wattage then phone or tablet wants, and it also needs a cable with a chip inside, that essentially says "Yeah, i am a capable cable, bring it on".

Qualcomm has their own protocol, apple has theirs, Samsung has a different one and so on.

Some of the "cheaper" brands use the Qualcomm one so any QC2/3 charger will be a fast charger for those phones.

It would be nice if every brand and make would use the same protocol, like EV's do now, where a CCS charger can charge any CCS capable car, and both the charger and the car, can say "I can handle this and that much" and they just charge at the fastest speed both car and charger can agree on.
That "universal standard for phone charging" exists in 2 forms, USB PD (supported by the majority of android and apple phones) and PPS (supported by some android phones). My phone and laptop can fast charge of the same USB C charger, laptop at 100W and samsung phone at 45W. It's a shame that MG didn't implement USB PD as I know other car manufacturers' are.

Just tested the USB-C in our hired MK2 ZS SE LR and no joy charging an iPad Air 4 front or back using the Apple cable :(

Edit: I note that the USB-A can charge our iPad Pro no problem

Last edited:
same issue with my freshly delivered zs ev luxury...my google pixel is not charging on any of the USB port while the redmi note 11 of my wife is charging. My pixel detect a "wrong multimedia device"...
I will do additional test with other phones I have around.
My google pixel 6 is charging perfectly on USB C adapters with the same cable. I suspect it has something to do with the way the plugs are wired...

I really think for charging just get a charger that goes in the 12v socket it will always be faster loads to choose from some with like 6 ports
Screenshot_20221024_092412.jpg
Screenshot_20221024_092139.jpg
Screenshot_20221024_093239.jpg
Screenshot_20221024_093033.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same problem, USB C in the back will charge My Galaxy A03s phone, but not my Galaxy Tab A8.

It's a pain as we have a meds fridge plugged into the USB A at the back

I don't know if an issue I reported in another thread is relevant. Just inc ase, here goes.

I bought cheap mini-flash drives for mp3 tracks as bigger flash drives stick out too much. I found that the system could read these mini-drives and play music from them the first time they were plugged in. But once the power had been switched off, the system could not detect the mini-drives until I had unplugged them and plugged back in. However, when I bought more expensive mini-drives, the problem ceased.

I have exactly the same problem. No charging or apple car on USB-C port. USB-A port works without any problem.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom