First 'away from home' charging and V2L working in anger

here in Portugal where they have the electric billed per kwh and then use of the charge point billed by time.... Arghhhhhh
Wow! 😯

I like the purity of that, but I bet it is too complex for most people.

Wow! 😯

I like the purity of that, but I bet it is too complex for most people.
Yup - to encourage people to switch there needs to be as few changes as possible from how ICE cars are fueled. However, I do get that the faster you can leave the charger the more money they can make. However however, it's not just the car that determines the charge speed - so you run the risk of being charged(billed) more because the service is less!

To make matters even more complicated, the miio app has variable pricing on the Kwh!!!! To encouraging adoption, the unecessary barriers of brain-numbingly-complicated pricing and payment methods needs to be reduced, for sure. It just needs to work!

Having said that, one of the reasons for me going for a longer range car is to avoid the need to use public chargers for journeys of less than 2+ hours - so it will only be every now and again that I need to use them anyway. On that point, I suppose comparing things is a challenge as things would be very different if a significant number of people could have an oil well in their back garden and get free dino juice for all but their longer journeys! Petrol stations can invest in the infrastructure because everyone has to go to them. Interestingly, I noticed they are building a brand new petrol station in a town near to me! I wonder if Harland and Wolff are providing the materials!!

What an absolutely stupid question, of course I do.

Would you pay €2 per liter when by driving 5 minutes further you could top up at €1.64? Would you just drive into a random filling station and pump 80 litres of dead dinasaurs into your tank with no idea how much it would cost you? Unless you are far richer than I and have money to burn then of course you wouldn't.

Fool.
Hi John. Thanks for the lesson in how to do a courteous reply! You completely ignored my comments on the new industry teething issues, which I certainly agree is less than ideal. Here in the UK things seem a little less complicated, since acquiring my aeV in Dec21 I have yet to need to use (or even see) a charger with both kWh and time pricing.
When looking at charging on the road I suspect most people will look for a charger reasonably convenient to their route or location and after checking it seems to be a reliable site, see if it is a reasonable price (given that most people generally charge at home on a cheaper rate-at least in the UK) and get on with their journey.
What I was commenting on (perhaps a little clumsily) was the time taken to do all that research for each stop. We value our time differently according to our principles. It didn’t seem much different to arriving at a destination wanting some lunch and buying a reasonably priced sandwich from the first cafe I came to, compared with touring the town looking for the best priced sandwich!

You completely ignored my comments on the new industry teething issues, which I certainly agree is less than ideal. ....... It didn’t seem much different to arriving at a destination wanting some lunch and buying a reasonably priced sandwich from the first cafe I came to, compared with touring the town looking for the best priced sandwich!
I didn't ignore your comment about teething and new industry, I just chose not to comment upon it as my full-time day job is planning EV charging security for an energy major (how we chose the sites, secure the physical asset, secure the data, secure the payment and, secure yours and my cars once connected to the CP). Beacuse of this I feel I'm reasonably qualified in the subject and I promise you, these are not 'teething' problems, they are specific decisions based around how we can maximise revenue.

The example I gave that you quoted upon were the differing prices and charging mechanisms of a single charging point, not touring about trying to save a few pence here or there - if one had chosen the wrong app/RFID car to pay with, the same amount of energy, from the same CP via the same cable could have cost me almost twice as much whilst I was enjoying my "best priced sandwich" (in fact, it was a delicious cajun chicken and chips, but that's not the point).

If I drive my dino-powered car into any garage, I know immediatly how much it will cost per liter and that regardless of the method I chose to pay by, the cost will be the same - that is not true for CPs and it should be - because there is no legislation requiring prices to be clearly advertised, 'we' (those who run and provide access to said CPs) do not do that because it's not in our interest to do so.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom