First day first problem

misiekz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi everyone.

Got a delivery of mg4ev today the basic version and have to admit I am impressed BUT...
When I drive in Sport and I accelerate hard the big display changes from sport to snow but the small screen is still showing sport.
When I change the mode to normal they both change to normal.
Any reason for that or something broke already after the car did 100miles

It's a known Infotainment bug ... mine does the same. (You're still in Sport mode - and it has nothing to do with how hard you accelerate).

You called?

My pet peeves are as follows.
  • The cabin temperature on the infotainment screen reads about 5 degrees higher than the actual temperature. The work-round is simply to imagine that the temperature scale goes from 13 to 27 rather than from 18 to 32, and if you want say 23, then set it for 28. (You may have to explain to your passengers that you are not trying to roast them.)
  • The automatic car lights frequently come on in broad daylight, say you drive into the shadow of a tree. You could just turn them off, and turn them on manually at dusk, but if you take the cover off the light sensor on the fascia, it all works more or less OK. There's a thread about this, with 3D printer files to print replacement covers that let more light through.
  • The thing you noticed about Sport changing to Snow on the infotainment screen. It doesn't mean it, you're still actually in Sport, and Sport is showing on the driver's screen.
  • The radio always comes on when you get into the car, even if you switched it off when you got out. If this bugs you, instead of "pausing" the radio, turn the volume down to zero using the joystick switch. You can turn it back up the same way when you actually want it back on. (If you were listening to the USB player, you need to pause that or it won't restart where you left off. If you don't want it to re-start when you get back in, pause it, switch to radio, then put radio volume to zero as above. Having said that it's probably easier just to hit pause as soon as it comes on.)
  • The USB music player doesn't support folders, which is a royal pain. The result is that the car plays every track on the folder in alphabetical order of track name, which is sheer chaos. The workround is to rename every damn track you have, or at least add text the the beginning of the track name, with the directory path you would have used if folders were available. There is a thread about this too. It's a hassle, but once it's done it's done (unlike the obsessive car cleaning some people are happy to do time and time again...).
  • It's impossible to disable the automatic door locking at 10 mph. This gives me the screaming ab-dabs, particularly as this car had a recall for locking people inside in its early versions. There is no known work-round.
I'm sure there are more, but these are the things that bug me. I think they're all actual bugs, I can see no rational reason why MG would have decided to punish SE owners by doing any of this on purpose. It's all just infotainment software. The Trophy has its own bugs, anyway - and maybe more of them, considering all the extra features it has.

I guess the more people who moan to MG about all this, the better chance there is they might fix it.

PS. Have you checked your undertray for warping/sagging? Plenty photos to show what to look for.

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

Got a delivery of mg4ev today the basic version and have to admit I am impressed BUT...
When I drive in Sport and I accelerate hard the big display changes from sport to snow but the small screen is still showing sport.
When I change the mode to normal they both change to normal.
Any reason for that or something broke already after the car did 100miles
My SR does the same but I'm sure I got a restriction on power output as well. I'll have to try it again.
To get over the problem I made my custom mode "Sport" . IE if I want "Sport" I use "Custom"

My first day problem is audible ‘whooshing’ air noise coming from the drivers side window area when driving at 70mph.

Anyone experienced similar?

My first day problem is audible ‘whooshing’ air noise coming from the drivers side window area when driving at 70mph.

Anyone experienced similar?
I think there have been some reports of that and some dealers have been better than others at rectifying the problem!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back