First Impressions from Test Drive

Just back from a whizz out in my very own SE. Never driven an EV before so I can't compare the drive. But.... I liked it a lot. Not gonna go on but here's a few observations.

KERs is not selectable or programmable on steering wheel.

Audio is a two speaker (front only)system not bad, not great. Can select loudness and equaliser settings. Good enough for me.

SE does not have walkaway locking. Push button on door to lock/unlock or keyfob.

Didn't see wing mirror heating unless activated by rear screen demist?

Drivers screen font quite small. (Have been to Specsavers)😁

Lower driver's seat to the floor and you're practically sat on the battery.

Steering wheel has my perfect girth.

Didn't rattle, squeak nor creek anywhere.

😀👍
You should be able to set the left⭐ button to KERS, going by this pic from above. Select "Energy Recovery"
img_20220927_140534-jpg.11289

EDIT - This screen applies to Trophy only. SE doesn't have some of these options.

Last edited:
I was referring to the comment made by another poster who did comment about getting jeans dirty brushing against it. I can imagine it would be awkward if you have limited mobility as it has a sharpish corner to it.

I do understand the issue actually, my own wife has developed a back disk issue and can't get in or out of my Model S at all at present. It does have very wide sills too. Come to think of it, our plan is to get an MG4 for her and she's not been it or out of it yet, so we might have an issue...
I have not seen the MG4 yet, but my brother is STILL awaiting his long lost ZS EV Trophy, he called into the local dealer to check on it's ( None ) progress.
While their he had a look around the MG4 and climbed into the drivers seat.
He dismissed the car straight away because the sill's are just too high and too wide.
Getting in and out of the car would be a real struggle for him and his wife ( who both have mobility issues ) the higher ride of the ZS EV will suit there needs much better.
He summed up the car as follow's :- "A younger fitter person's car".
No good for me then either 🤣.

Hi you lucky test drivers, I’m still waiting on a phone call for my chance to try it but, can anyone comment on the lack of a rear wiper is it a problem or not.
Also I see a comment that there is no auto wiper setting but is there an adjustable intermittent wiper setting at lease on the car what I mean buy that is a control so that the wipers sweep every 2 or 4 seconds even up to every 15 seconds.
Les
No more of a problem than it was on my Hyundai Ioniq. Doesn't affect rear vision too much.

I'm just back from a test drive in the orange Trophy at Paul Rigby Birmingham. What a fabulous car.
Acceleration (in sport mode) was about the same as the Ioniq. Not incredible, but fine.
The alert to focus on the road was irritating and I'd need to get rid of it.
Space and headroom in the back was fine. Behind the driver seat set for me (6'3), I had very limited leg room, but could do an hour. Nice inside.
The car looks really sporty and I love this colour.
With its range and price, this is a very strong option and if I was in the market for a £30k new EV, I'd 100% get this.

IMG_7172.JPG

IMG_7157.JPG

The next guy coming in the dealership (hi, James) was there to buy a black SE long range. He wanted orange, but prefers the lower price point and longer range of the SE LR.

One other thing I forgot to mention was reversing. When backing upto the car behind I couldn't hear the reversing sensors tone, perhaps there is a setting in sounds.

The only reference I had was a small bargraph on the drivers display that increased as you got closer.

I would have thought that the drivers display was the last thing you'd look at going backwards.

Sharing my notes below from my test driving the SE long range.

We are buying this as our 2nd car for city runabouts / school and grocery runs. And for that use case, the car felt like good value - besides it's available to be picked up this week! Hence, keeping our booking and going ahead with the purchase.

Blimey, do you live a long way from school and shops, even the SR is OTT for just popping to the shops ! :)

Blimey, do you live a long way from school and shops, even the SR is OTT for just popping to the shops ! :)
Hi Gomev I did laugh at what you had written, as I few weeks back I wrote when looking at the MG4 for the wife , hell of a lot of money for a shopping trolley, which is about all she uses her car for nowadays since she retired, did less that 3000 miles in the last year in her Corsa .
But then another thing sprung to mind about the cost of these EVs which I think I’m right in saying is, they hold there price very well indeed, my own MG5 21 months old now with 17k on it, and I’m being offered £2600 more than I paid for it today, so it was not a bad investment.
I know when I purchased it there was very tempting discount’s around £3500 off Boris and co, plus £4000 off MG motors, far to good to say no too but sadly now all gone, but I do believe 2nd hand EVs will be in great demand in a very short time, and today as the pound goes down and down against the dollar you watch the prices of fuel at the pumps some are already predicting prices of £2.50 a litre in the coming months as oil as you know is paid for in dollars,
So I think it’s still the right way to go just got to convince her in doors now but I hope I’m almost there on that score the test drive will tell when we get one.
Les

Hi Gomev I did laugh at what you had written, as I few weeks back I wrote when looking at the MG4 for the wife , hell of a lot of money for a shopping trolley, which is about all she uses her car for nowadays since she retired, did less that 3000 miles in the last year in her Corsa .
But then another thing sprung to mind about the cost of these EVs which I think I’m right in saying is, they hold there price very well indeed, my own MG5 21 months old now with 17k on it, and I’m being offered £2600 more than I paid for it today, so it was not a bad investment.
I know when I purchased it there was very tempting discount’s around £3500 off Boris and co, plus £4000 off MG motors, far to good to say no too but sadly now all gone, but I do believe 2nd hand EVs will be in great demand in a very short time, and today as the pound goes down and down against the dollar you watch the prices of fuel at the pumps some are already predicting prices of £2.50 a litre in the coming months as oil as you know is paid for in dollars,
So I think it’s still the right way to go just got to convince her in doors now but I hope I’m almost there on that score the test drive will tell when we get one.
Les
£2.50?! Wow! That will definitely be good news for the likes of the comparatively affordable MG4.

Hi meangreen,

I am also a Mk1 Leaf owner (30kw; 2017) looking to move to an EV with greater range.

No car is perfect, and you tend to be more critical when you’re about to pony up £31k+, but my test drive made me appreciate how good my Leaf is! However, I think the MG4 represents the next best logical step in terms of technology and range. I think its closest competitors are really the other MG offerings, and if you don’t want to drive an SUV (ZS) or an estate (MG5), I think it’s a good option.
Hi Yorkiebarkid

Thank you for your thoughts and I agree with everything you say.
I've decided the MG4 doesn't suit my need as family transport, if I was single it would be different decision. Primarily it's the lack of space and vents in the back , annoying HVAC controls tipped it over the edge.

Waiting on BYD Atto 3 and BZ4X now

Hi Yorkiebarkid

I've decided the MG4 doesn't suit my need as family transport, if I was single it would be different decision. Primarily it's the lack of space and vents in the back , annoying HVAC controls tipped it over the edge.

Yes, the Leaf has been a great car, but I'm looking forward to moving to the MG4. Good luck with your next vehicle, whatever that is!

Hi Yorkiebarkid

I had test drive today & although the car drove extremely well ( dynamics were amazing ) & quick off the line I found that mid range go was less so, then found out my Kia Soul has nearly twice the torque & would miss that so looks like I'll have to wait for the performance version if it comes to the UK next Yr 🤞
Hopefully they will sort the constant alertness warning on the Trophy & allow it to remember all personel changes to the systems in a future update 🤞
But it's an amazing bit of kit for the price..

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back